Hit and run!

Puggz

Hit and run! A good friend of mine is currently in the hospital (Mont Laurier) after a hit and run on the #13 trail just north of Neuve Ferme at 4pm, yesterday, Friday Feb 17th. Sled that hit him was blue, he thinks it looked like a Polaris but who knows. His injuries include all of his ribs are broken and a punctured lung. He's currently in intensive care and will be for weeks to come. Anyone with knowledge of this please let me know or better yet, the Mt Laurier police. It has been reported of course. This is unacceptable and a hit of this magnitude would not go UN-noticed. Please help! These idiots have to be stopped or next time it will be our wives or daughters. After this, my sleds will be up for sale.

• Sad 4

Very unfortunate, sorry to hear. Always my greatest fear. Did the two machines make contact or did your friend have to divert and hit some trees or other obstacles. 

Hopefully the quilts party gets caught

Wow, sorry to hear and I hope your friend makes a full recovery. 

How is it the other person was able to run with that much damage/injury to your friend, the other person must have had some damage or injuries?

Sounds like it may have been a group too. 
Were you there, I’m thinking not?

sad news ,hopefully your friend makes full recovery . And guy gets caught 

What everyone above has said. Best wishes to your friend and his family.

11 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

Very unfortunate, sorry to hear. Always my greatest fear. Did the two machines make contact or did your friend have to divert and hit some trees or other obstacles. 

Hopefully the quilts party gets caught

They collided at the top of a small hill. Spindles connected, broke the ski bolt on my bud's sled.  I was in the lead and signaled the sledder that there was 1 behind me. With both sleds doing approx 80 km/hr, the impact caused my bud's sled to jump in the air and throw him. When I got back to the scene his sled was in a ditch and a couple of nice sledders were working on getting it out for him. 

He's currently in intensive care, they had to freeze his back (epidural?) so they can go in and drain his punctured lung.  We are both 60 yrs old so we just don't recover that quickly.  Also, he has a tek vest but had forgot it at home.

• Sad 1

So sorry to hear this, speedy recovery and hopefully they find the other rider

11 hours ago, stoney said:

Wow, sorry to hear and I hope your friend makes a full recovery. 

How is it the other person was able to run with that much damage/injury to your friend, the other person must have had some damage or injuries?

Sounds like it may have been a group too. 
Were you there, I’m thinking not?

I was in the lead and didn't see it or hear it.  I ended up several kms down the trail (next intersection) where I stopped and waited per std procedure. I signal all on coming traffic.  Not sure how the other sledder got away with it but I believe that his sled went down when my buds went up and threw him.  Not a lot of visible damage, but the contact was spindle to spindle.  Must have been a huge jerk to the handle bars.

• Like 1

I hope your friend makes a full recovery. The police should be able to track the other rider down based on the parts they are going to need replaced if they can commit the resources. Should need a left side ski leg or left side parts, maybe blue panels. Disgusting they didn’t stop and help your friend. 80kms, could have been a lot worse too I guess! 

3 hours ago, Puggz said:

I was in the lead and didn't see it or hear it.  I ended up several kms down the trail (next intersection) where I stopped and waited per std procedure. I signal all on coming traffic.  Not sure how the other sledder got away with it but I believe that his sled went down when my buds went up and threw him.  Not a lot of visible damage, but the contact was spindle to spindle.  Must have been a huge jerk to the handle bars.

I hate that feeling - happened a few times earlier this year, I was lead, stop to wait for others, nothing, start to head back and think the worst of course but hoping for just a mechanical issue, which was the case thankfully.

We have been generally very lucky on our QC trips with other riders always on the correct side but this year my brother that was leading these times had almost two hits, one cresting a small hill like your situation and the other around a corner - both times I was right behind him and saw the whole thing and the other sledder in the middle of the trail and my brother was quick enough to dip into the bush quickly to avoid possible collision, really caused my brother a lot of anxiety though, which surprised me, but he is getting older too and these things tend to play with you more I find the more "experienced" you get. I did reassure him when we stopped he was where he needed to be and not his poor judgement.

As said above, the other sled must have some damage, so hopefully a person who is in the know, will see this and challenge the person on the cause of the damage....or if in a group of other riders, some of the folks he/she is with, question what happened to cause that.

I am not a tekvest guy, but what horrible luck that your friend who normally wears one, was not on this day.

So sad to hear these stories, thankfully they are not common.

Sorry to hear about this incident and I hope your friend recovers as quickly as possible.   Hopefully the other rider can be found.  Riders not staying on their side of the trail is my biggest complaint about trail riding.