LOOSING LONG TIME CONTRIBUTORS

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

Has anyone else noticed that OC has lost 2 more long time contributors that added a lot of good information and humor to the forum? 

Blake has been absent from the forum this season. Turbo

Turbo Doo has been absent with the exception of a couple of posts about 2 weeks ago. One of those was his request to have his profile deleted.

Too bad we are continuing to loose great guys and worthy contributors. Not a good thing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sad for sure, miss Revrnd very much as well as I enjoy posts of his daily projects. I spend some time on other forums and have to say

this is the nicest by far

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Always sad when people decide to leave the sport or just leave the forum.   There are a few people on here that are less than friendly at times and the world has become more divided than ever.   Its a sad state we are in, but we all need to come together in our common activity, snowmobiling, and focus on having fun, being safe and having a good laugh.   Enjoy the trails, enjoy friends.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

The complaining, infighting,  and difference of opinion on the trails, clubs, districts,  ofsc, govt, and covid handling, treatment, protocols, vax status, and conspiracy theory, mis, disinformation beliefs, really changed our site, friends, families,  and world dynamics. It is sad really but, part of the information at a glance age. Welcome to our future, unfortunately. Ski

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

The complaining, infighting,  and difference of opinion on the trails, clubs, districts,  ofsc, govt, and covid handling, treatment, protocols, vax status, and conspiracy theory, mis, disinformation beliefs, really changed our site, friends, families,  and world dynamics. It is sad really but, part of the information at a glance age. Welcome to our future, unfortunately. Ski

Everyone just sticks to their circles now and that's it.

Divide in everyday life has never been greater.

You can be a great person with a difference of opinion.

Just be  good person - surround yourself with people who you enjoy and can make you laugh and that's the ticket.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Has anyone else noticed that OC has lost 2 more long time contributors that added a lot of good information and humor to the forum? 

Turbo Doo has been absent with the exception of a couple of posts about 2 weeks ago. One of those was his request to have his profile deleted.

Too bad we are continuing to loose great guys and worthy contributors. Not a good thing. 

I agree but there isn't much anyone can do if forum members self-ban themselves. We need snow and open trails and the forum will be full of happy and interesting people.. Happy Trails

• Like 4

I frequent a few forums and they all have the same or similar atmospheres. 
I really don’t understand why anyone takes a forum as offensive, take the good and / or bad from them and carry on. 
It’s not personal or shouldn’t be. 

But agreed though, many people bring different values and losing what some have to offer takes a bit away from any forum.

• Like 5

Im glad the Monkey barrel forum was put in.  Keeps everything else PG, and enter at your own risk if you want to.  Made it a friendlier place again IMO.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well, I'm not part of the Monkey Barrel, and thus - I have no clue what y'all are talking aboot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ox said:

Well, I'm not part of the Monkey Barrel, and thus - I have no clue what y'all are talking aboot.

it was an opt in or opt out for those that didnt want to see political, or covid related posts on a sledding forum. Ski

• Like 1

I know what it is.

I just don't know aboot the infighting that apparently has taken place.

I don't see it from out here, which of course was the whole point of the barrel of monkeys.

missing it, monkey barrel didnt start until the "problems" and difference of opinion during covid. that was when several left, starting their own website and FB page to be sledding only, instead of a social club around sledding. was kind of I'm taking my ball and going home kind of theater. I miss the larger group, and the more threads, discussions, pics, reports, trip reports, the things people were building, working on. the fights were in the open, before the barrel was offered. Ski

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, skidooboy said:

missing it, monkey barrel didnt start until the "problems" and difference of opinion during covid. that was when several left, starting their own website and FB page to be sledding only, instead of a social club around sledding. was kind of I'm taking my ball and going home kind of theater. I miss the larger group, and the more threads, discussions, pics, reports, trip reports, the things people were building, working on. the fights were in the open, before the barrel was offered. Ski

And there hasn't been any problems in the Monkey Barrel. It's just a place where people post what ever they want and no one gets offended. It's more of a fun place than a political thing. Think of it as a safe place within a safe space. It's nice to have place where we can post without being attack for our belief or just our bad sense of humour. It's not the first time we had a revolt by main posters and I'm sure it won't be the last. It's the other 99% of forum members that enjoy the forum that still makes it a great place imo. Imagine a forum started to make friends and riding buddies turned into a place of hate and like always it was egos that made thing go bad. 

I was asked by many people to try and fix the fighting/bickering that had festered for a longtime. The problem was solved and everything went back to normal again but for some reason that wasn't enough for some people.

DWMcWUAWkAApDU-.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Another jab at the contributors that have moved on [ take your ball ].  Slomo,  Revrnd , Christy  to name a few were interesting contributors with boots on the ground . 

• Thanks 1

its too bad ,i miss those guys

• Like 3

On 1/27/2023 at 8:25 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Why ask to have your account deleted?    Seems childish to me? 

• Like 5

I am a mod on another site, and we have had folks git pissed off and leave, and want all of their posts taken down. (informative site - machining)

The Powers That Be have yielded to one or two and I find that complete BS. It leaves holes in threads, and also, there have been reports of links to other posts being wrong now doo to a post prior to it having been removed now.

Personally - I'd say that if you want to leave, then just leave. Quit posting, and your profile will sink.

One option that I can live with is that the profile is closed, and all posts are now under "Guest" moniker.

You can't search much now, but at least the thread makes sense to go back and read.

As a member/contributor, I hope that you never allow folks to delete posts, but then on a site like this - prolly not so big'a deal. Not likely searching form much tech info here anyway...

• Like 4

7 hours ago, coldfinger said:

Another jab at the contributors that have moved on [ take your ball ].  Slomo,  Revrnd , Christy  to name a few were interesting contributors with boots on the ground . 

Not a jab at all, sorry that offends you.  it was a anecdotal way to describe what happened.

some didnt agree with others on certain items, dug their heels in, then just left, vs trying to work out differences, or ignoring the differences, or better yet, ignoring those they didnt agree with, or like.

But to leave, start your own places (not the first time that has happened here either), then to invite people from here, to join their newly formed group, seemed to be a weird change of events. (at least to me). I dont wish any ill will, nor do I have bad feelings for the people that left. I just think it was sad that, it was just those things that made people turn on one another and leave. 

having the ignore feature turned on for the people that upset you the most, is a great tool to utilize on any media platform.

and I am with Ox, I dont believe in deleting someones account fully. there are links, helpful tips, history, that help others. wanting all of your info you shared with others wiped from existence just doenst make sense. unless there was, is, some high security risk. 

Ski  

• Like 4

Ok then .  You ever think of writing a book or two I'm sure it would be a best seller .

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, coldfinger said:

Ok then .  You ever think of writing a book or two I'm sure it would be a best seller .

Wow, just wow! but, it is ok for you to do it, on purpose. I see where you are better than I now. thank you for enlightening me.    Ski 

hypocrisy.jpg

So I personally do not know what all the drama is about but I can say this. While I’m not a regular chatty person Ihave been part of this forum for over 20 years.if I recall a crash or something back in the day that eliminated my profile once maybe twice. Recall this was started by LMV way back and rode with a number of members way back. This site at one time was where you needed to go to find trail conditions in Ontario as there was no ITG or anything close. There was a tight knit group of folks and back in the early 2000’s I likely posted far more regularl back then. Times change, people change and ideals change. I always enjoyed the snowmobile focus of the group. I believe it will survive, it’s the folks that remain part of the group that will ensure that. I continue to check in during the season and if I feel I can contribute in a meaningful manner will do so. 

• Like 5

LMV, when was Day1?

It hasn't quite been a full 20 yet, has it?

Prolly close tho....

This site is no different.

AFAIK most all of uscame from trailconditions.com

--------------

Think Snow Eh!

Ox

5 minutes ago, Ox said:

LMV, when was Day1?

It hasn't quite been a full 20 yet, has it?

Prolly close tho....

This site is no different.

AFAIK most all of uscame from trailconditions.com

--------------

Think Snow Eh!

Ox

Hey Ox.. I started my first forum in 1998 after tc.com went off the deep end.  I started with a local Kitchener forum and then moved it onto the New Dundee SC website and that really took off from there.. I started the oc.com forum in 2000 I think.  I remember you from the tc.com days :)

• Like 1