Should You Undercoat an Aluminum Sled Trailer

Bryan XC700

Looking for some feedback. I bought a new aluminum enclosed V-nose trailer this year. Should I have the underside krown or oil coated?

My initial thought is no..  They dont rust, so it wont help in that regard.

Age and fatigue is the culprit wiht an aluminum trailer.  Just my opinion.

Rust spray the axles and all metal associated with them - they are metal (if you have e-brakes, take caution when spraying around those)

Watch for metal to aluminum contact and the reaction caused by the two touching - should be rubber insulator between the two though.

Wash the salt off of the underside whenever possible.

• Like 3

I agree with Stoney on spraying the steel axle and bracketry.  Everything that I have read on the topic says any type of plastic or rubber can be used to separate the dissimilar metals. Just needs to be a material that will not deteriorate with age.

Some considerations:

1. Aluminum does oxidize, just much slower than steel does (salt is a challenge though);

2. I have a 2004 Triton Alum which the steel axle is being replaced this week as a precaution ( I think had I done a better job of rinsing the underside each spring and spraying something on the steel axle, (plus 1 year my storage place left it parked on the grass all summer)  I likely wouldn't consider replacing it now. Otherwise, the alum is mostly in good shape, except where any steel bolts or screws go thru (again a better rinse and anti-corrosive spray in the spring can go a long way);,

3. Krown is designed for inside channels and spaces (does swell some rubber), does drip (for days);

4. Oil - same a Krown (in my opinion)

Here is the 2004 trailer, and the old axle pictures, for you to judge, and make a call.

I think if you do a good rinse each year, and target specific areas with a store anti-corrosive spray, you should get 18+ years, like I have.

Cheers

20220924_152448.jpg

20220511_155447.jpg

20220510_124839.jpg

20210411_160845.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

coating it with anything helping stop, block, corrosion, will make the trailer last longer and easier to maintain later. Fluid film is thin and will require a yearly application, wool wax is the same product only thicker, still needs reapplication. the newest kid on the block is Surface shield from the people that brought us PB Blaster spray penetrating oil. they say it lasts 2 years between applications. it wont hurt, can only help.

you spent how much on a trailer, or vehicle? a few hundred up front, and 50 a year to protect it, is well worth the time, and effort. Ski    

• Like 3

Its a bit over the top but I coat my torsion axle with grease. Buy a cheap tub of grease from crappy tire, put on the mechanics gloves and wipe it all over. My axle is 9 yrs old and all the original paint is intact, and is in relatively good shape.

I redo this every 3-5 yrs. Its a messy job but our trailers are exposed to horrible conditions being used in the winter.

MS

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Some considerations:

1. Aluminum does oxidize, just much slower than steel does (salt is a challenge though);

2. I have a 2004 Triton Alum which the steel axle is being replaced this week as a precaution ( I think had I done a better job of rinsing the underside each spring and spraying something on the steel axle, (plus 1 year my storage place left it parked on the grass all summer)  I likely wouldn't consider replacing it now. Otherwise, the alum is mostly in good shape, except where any steel bolts or screws go thru (again a better rinse and anti-corrosive spray in the spring can go a long way);,

3. Krown is designed for inside channels and spaces (does swell some rubber), does drip (for days);

4. Oil - same a Krown (in my opinion)

Here is the 2004 trailer, and the old axle pictures, for you to judge, and make a call.

I think if you do a good rinse each year, and target specific areas with a store anti-corrosive spray, you should get 18+ years, like I have.

Cheers

20220924_152448.jpg

20220511_155447.jpg

20220510_124839.jpg

20210411_160845.jpg

Ive got an 02 Triton open .  I did my axle about 2 or 3 yrs ago.  More because the Hydraulic surge brakes needed replacing, and went with an electric brake for less money than the parts for the hydraulics were.

My aluminum under the trailer looks just like yours.  Good for another 15-20 yrs yet.🤞

I am leaning towards Fluid Film on the axles & where any steel meets the aluminum. Thanks for all the input, a yearly application & washing the underside should help me keep this trailer till my riding days are done!

2 minutes ago, Bryan XC700 said:

I am leaning towards Fluid Film on the axles & where any steel meets the aluminum. Thanks for all the input, a yearly application & washing the underside should help me keep this trailer till my riding days are done!

Kleen Flo has a spray bomb product called Honey Goo. As the name suggests it sticks and stays. After 2-3 applications over a couple of seasons and given time for it to firm up before use, you won't have to do yearly coatings. It is a penetrating type product that goes on much thicker than Fluid Film . $11.99 at Canadian Tire and one can should do all the axle and steel mounts on a single axle trailer.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Kleen Flo has a spray bomb product called Honey Goo. As the name suggests it sticks and stays. After 2-3 applications over a couple of seasons and given time for it to firm up before use, you won't have to do yearly coatings. It is a penetrating type product that goes on much thicker than Fluid Film . $11.99 at Canadian Tire and one can should do all the axle and steel mounts on a single axle trailer.

Thanks, I'll check it out as well.