Who's been riding

signfan

I know some are still waiting for frost (please help them). For the rest of us that have ventured out where did you go and what were the conditions like?  

We got our first 600 km in North of Mont Laurier a week ago.  Well worth the trip.  Early to mid season conditions and getting better.  Only a couple washouts and no bare ground to speak of.  Anyone been riding snow country, north bay, Sudbury or the bancroft areas?  If you were to northern Ontario or into Quebec what did you find?

Just got back from the Yoop. Conditions were variable,  from OK to excellent.  Stayed in  Munising and went both east and west. Grand Marais was OK, Marquette was excellent.  Don't go too far south from either, conditions were noticeably worse further south when driving up

• Like 1

we rode from Coe Hill on saturday, our destination was Whitney.... trails to Bancroft were OK, but north of Bancroft B106E trail was super-duper bumpy and was extremely busy, often there several sleds in line to cross a particular road, we turned around just north of birds creek, had lunch at the granite, then back south. Good shake down ride but much shorter than anticipated.

cheers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, signfan said:

I know some are still waiting for frost (please help them). For the rest of us that have ventured out where did you go and what were the conditions like?  

We got our first 600 km in North of Mont Laurier a week ago.  Well worth the trip.  Early to mid season conditions and getting better.  Only a couple washouts and no bare ground to speak of.  Anyone been riding snow country, north bay, Sudbury or the bancroft areas?  If you were to northern Ontario or into Quebec what did you find?

Just got back from north of Saint Zenon, similar report to yours.  I have little hope for anything south this year.

My buddy and I did 155Km yesterday East of Ottawa, and north of the A trail outbound and A trail (rail bed return). Trails are Yellow, but closer we got to Hawksbury, snow was less.

A trail - old rail bed, had almost no snow in wide open areas, sheltered areas was bumpy but snow covered.

Tried the new FXR coat and gloves. Burned off the storage gas. Temp was =1c, with water droplets freezing to the front of the sled and visor. 

Assisted a Cat guy who was about to abandon his sled for later recovery. He had a warning light. Had him restart the sled,  no warning light, short test drive was good,  suggested may have just been some bad gas, as we saw he was fueling at a station when we passed him, earlier.

Capture.JPG

• Like 3

I realize it may not be conveniently local for everyone in the South, but if you're in the Muskoka area already, have a trailer and are itching to ride, I'd recommend the 1.5h drive to where the A101D and D meet in Powassan and start from there. Trails were good to excellent in that area on Saturday. Went east to Mattawa on A, then A112A west toward North Bay then A back down to A101D through Bonfield. 240km of mostly great conditions! Sorry, no pictures unfortunately. Not much traffic compared to what people were seeing in Whitney / Bancroft / etc. area. 

• Like 6

Rode out of Hearst last Friday through Monday. 
Great trails almost everywhere up there. 
The yellow section from the end of the Hearst/Hornepayne at Mooseland over to the west is the only issue.  The snow is fine, but this section has not been given enough grooming over the last few seasons to successfully break the saplings off.  When it is cold and the drag cuts into the trail a bit, they are broken/cut off. 
The current state is to the point of causing many to turn back to Hearst.  My group continued and found the best trail conditions I’ve seen since its reopening in I think 2018-2019 season.  We’ve ridden it every season except the 2020-2021.  
We met a guy trying to cut some of the growth with a homemade sled-knife he was dragging, but it really wasn’t working. 
Other than a few low areas (bottom of the hills) where water cut through during warm temps, the trail is real good once past the long bridge on Hwy11.  The trail is green at that point. 
Really liked staying at the “Between the Bridges Inn” on Hwy11 in Geraldton.  Park in front of your room. 
Moonbeam Clubhouse was cranking on Saturday afternoon and ran into Dennis and his group from Hearst. 
Too bad it’s such a long drive. 
Great 750 miles. 
Scott

• Like 11

small section of trail open near owen sound ,here comes the south 😄

• Like 3

Got back home today after a mini three night/two day trip out of Mattawa Golf and Ski. Our group of 6, for the most part, lucked out with the weather and the grooming schedules. Wednesday, we rode 290 km from Golf and Ski eastward via the A trail to Deep River for an early Timmi's lunch, and then back via the 130 series local North Renfrew and 190 series Missing Link trails. Most of the trail we rode had been groomed Monday or Tuesday, and even those that hadn't (the 'dead end" 137 and 136), were tolerable. That day's riding is about as good as it gets in Ontario. Every time I take a new person on that ride, they are super impressed with the scenery, and trail quality and variety. 

Thursday, we did the same 240 km route that gtowe referred to above, but in the opposite direction. From Golf and Ski, we went thru Mattawa via the A trail and A112A, unfortunately still via the downtown road bridge, then northwest toward North Bay on A112A, to the A trail, south on the A with a detour in/out on BF201 to the Dinner Bell for a delicious lunch. After lunch we carried on back to the A trail, south/east back to our hosts. The trails were in very good shape with 3-6" of fresh snow on top of mostly very smooth base. Sled traffic was minimal both days. Sadly we saw a broken down groomer on the A trail about 15 km west of Golf and Ski. With the colder weather this coming week, the slush should freeze on the Mattawa River, allowing that crossing to open. The hospitality for three nights was excellent at a modest price, which may be important to some, as the fuel prices for both sleds and trucks are still too high. If you haven't ridden this area recently, make the effort to go there.  

• Like 7

It’s a beautiful area to ride in. My phone just told me that we were there 7 years ago today. 

C19E3C5C-17DB-4BCF-A06C-F37A061334A4.jpeg

• Like 1

Took my 8yr old Granddaughter for  loop thru my 40 acre  Sugar bush this afternoon, she loves to ask about the tracks she sees , ( rabbit, fox, coyote, turkey) and commented on the beauty of all the snow on the branches. ......and its those shared moments that make it worthwhile to keep the 1998 340 cat running another year ! 

• Like 15

On 1/27/2023 at 9:13 PM, tricky said:

Got back home today after a mini three night/two day trip out of Mattawa Golf and Ski. Our group of 6, for the most part, lucked out with the weather and the grooming schedules. Wednesday, we rode 290 km from Golf and Ski eastward via the A trail to Deep River for an early Timmi's lunch, and then back via the 130 series local North Renfrew and 190 series Missing Link trails. Most of the trail we rode had been groomed Monday or Tuesday, and even those that hadn't (the 'dead end" 137 and 136), were tolerable. That day's riding is about as good as it gets in Ontario. Every time I take a new person on that ride, they are super impressed with the scenery, and trail quality and variety. 

Thursday, we did the same 240 km route that gtowe referred to above, but in the opposite direction. From Golf and Ski, we went thru Mattawa via the A trail and A112A, unfortunately still via the downtown road bridge, then northwest toward North Bay on A112A, to the A trail, south on the A with a detour in/out on BF201 to the Dinner Bell for a delicious lunch. After lunch we carried on back to the A trail, south/east back to our hosts. The trails were in very good shape with 3-6" of fresh snow on top of mostly very smooth base. Sled traffic was minimal both days. Sadly we saw a broken down groomer on the A trail about 15 km west of Golf and Ski. With the colder weather this coming week, the slush should freeze on the Mattawa River, allowing that crossing to open. The hospitality for three nights was excellent at a modest price, which may be important to some, as the fuel prices for both sleds and trucks are still too high. If you haven't ridden this area recently, make the effort to go there.  

Last trip I did with my father was based out of there. Great spot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lastzrt said:

Rode Sudbury form Thursday to Saturday.  Some good some bad. Snowed all the way up Wednesday night.

I think they forgot about the D trail completely.....

D was waiting for a swamp to freeze, being done tomorrow.

• Like 1

Spent the weekend in Temagami at the Polaris Ambassador meet and ride, had a great time meeting fellow riders and ambassadors from Ontario, with the support of the riders and sponsors we raised 4000 for the local snowmobile club. 

A9C6CE5B-5382-476F-B45C-9D18A7F10F1B.jpeg

E320AE44-3B3F-4BB4-AE35-42214F234B1B.jpeg

811034AD-058C-4EC9-86EA-B3BC45D7D383.jpeg

FFE09F2F-0519-42A3-A530-821DF0CE8997.jpeg

• Like 16

It was a great weekend nunz

Only scouting local trails so far….lots of water. Heading to either North Bay or our hunt camp near Sundridge later this week and hope to come back to open trails at home.🤞🏻

• Like 2

i see a little bit of trail open around owen sound ,must be close 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, wrightonalan said:

i see a little bit of trail open around owen sound ,must be close 

Working on it! It’s still snowing!

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Nunz said:

Spent the weekend in Temagami at the Polaris Ambassador meet and ride, had a great time meeting fellow riders and ambassadors from Ontario, with the support of the riders and sponsors we raised 4000 for the local snowmobile club. 

Glad to see that there were enough sleds with the recall done to have the event...🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Got out today. Cloyne to Griffith. 85% was fresh groomed. Few washout here and there, but other than that mid season conditions.  The roads north east and south east of Griffith are awesome.  Never seen them groomed so well or so wide.

• Like 1