Whitney-Bancroft

Pota

Looking for some info here. I was thinking of riding Whitney to Bancroft mid week . First anyone ride these trails in the last couple day? Conditions? And second , is there a place easily accessible for a lunch stop in Bancroft? Also is gas available in Bancroft. I see on trail guide you have to cross river and go into the town? I’ve never been there, any info would help. Thx

There is a bridge over the river. So no issues there. Bancroft to Lake St Peter is railed. Then good forest access roads the majority if the way north from there to Whitney. I haven't ridden it this year yet, but it should be ok. The Granite in Bancroft is the place to eat lunch. Right where B106E, hwy 62 and hwy 28 meet. It's a good restaurant. There is a park n ride right at millennium park in town to unload st or 15 mins north at Birds creek is a better lot. Its right on 62 on the west side of the highway between the south baptiste lk rd and musclow Greenview rd. Have fun.

• Like 2

Thx for info. I’ll be starting in Whitney. I see where the granite is. Now how about gas in Bancroft area

There are fuel options just off the trail, on highways 28 and 62, on the north and south edges of town. I haven't ridden there yet this year to say how much snow there is into the gas stations.

Yep cross the bridge in town. Run out through millennium park and them take the sidewalk past the hotel. Gas is after it.  not the most accessible, but it will work.  You can usually get gas in lake st peter.

• Like 2

Don't leave valuables or anything in your tunnel bag in Whitney - last time I stopped for lunch, came out to any empty tunnel bag.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Ok thx for advice 

This past Saturday morning the trails were good in Bancroft when I went out. As stated above, Granite is good for lunch and gas at the ESSO, there is a bridge for sleds to cross the river at Millenium Park in town, is accessible or Lake St Peter, probably easiest, or Maynooth even.  

Yes I think Lk St. Peter is easier for fuel. Can easily get to Bancroft and back grab fuel again on way past. Can be tricky around Bancroft to get fuel or lunch if town has melted off. Lots of pavement. BC Cafe is just across trail at Birds Creek on way into Bancroft..easy to get in and out of but I think granite is nicer atmosphere and of course Porterville diner in Lk St. Peter is a favourite..easy access right off trail. Check their hours to be sure. Good trails to the east their as well. Loop up to Madawaska and back into Whitney. Very scenic trails and beautiful stretch along the Madawaska river..IMO the track bed from LSP to bancroft is flat and kinda boring…. Have a good ride. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2023 at 10:33 AM, Spiderman said:

Don't leave valuables or anything in your tunnel bag in Whitney - last time I stopped for lunch, came out to any empty tunnel bag.

Oh my, you don’t hear that happening very often considering how easy it can be. 

On 1/17/2023 at 6:47 PM, stoney said:

Oh my, you don’t hear that happening very often considering how easy it can be. 

Extra oil, spare belt, gloves, tools etc, it was an annoyance - now I take my bag off and bring it in with me and set it with my bucket.

• Like 1

Great ideas and advice here, thanks.

Any recent experience on good accommodations with restaurant service?

Party of 6-8, for 3-4 days.

Jim

6 hours ago, J-Fly said:

Jim

Couple of different places I like..Spectacle Lake Lodge is popular and has a great restaurant. Madawaska lodge (the old Snoasis) is cool as well. Not sure on winter hours but info is available on the inter webs. Cheers

8 hours ago, J-Fly said:

Jim

Looking to stay in Bancroft?  Or Whitney?

Anywhere in the vicinity. We may extend and stay at different resorts.

We were thinking Couples but it’s pricey and the reviews are sketchy.

Adventure Lodge on the Madawaska river, right on the trail.  Stayed there years ago, food was great, bring your own booze to dinner.

Nice cabins.  This was awhile ago maybe things have changed though.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 9:02 AM, Spiderman said:

Extra oil, spare belt, gloves, tools etc, it was an annoyance - now I take my bag off and bring it in with me and set it with my bucket.

That sux big time, last year I got back to my sled and someone tried to make away with my visor cable, I found it unplugged buty they gave up once they realized that it was run through the handlebar riser and would take too much effort. 

My new Poo has a $400 bag on the back (empty) so I always take it in with me. They need to come up with a locking system like some of the other brands.

Going to continue on the thread hijack lol. This actually could be a thread on its own cause I have enough luggage I carry too  never thought to worry about theft during the day when having lunch  the bags come in at nite but the can ?  I saw this....

Bought a lock but no further lol

IMG_20220212_065327765.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Going to continue on the thread hijack lol. This actually could be a thread on its own cause I have enough luggage I carry too  never thought to worry about theft during the day when having lunch  the bags come in at nite but the can ?  I saw this....

Bought a lock but no further lol

IMG_20220212_065327765.jpg

Mount an air tag some where on can. Then if some picks it up you get a notification right away. Then worked good on my trip to Asia. No cell or wifi won’t help you but most cases you have one at least. Ever falls off while riding you be able to back track too. I won’t do a sled trip without them in my bags now. 😎

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 5:27 AM, Puggz said:

That sux big time, last year I got back to my sled and someone tried to make away with my visor cable, I found it unplugged buty they gave up once they realized that it was run through the handlebar riser and would take too much effort. 

My new Poo has a $400 bag on the back (empty) so I always take it in with me. They need to come up with a locking system like some of the other brands.

Locks suck. I locked my bags on my skidoo hard side cases. Got to hotel and I couldn’t get bags off sled, locks frooze solid.  Had nothing that night, couldn’t even open cases when locked 😂. I even broke key off trying on one case. Frig. They even had lock protectors still froze. Now I just use air tags. It send me a notification if they fall off too 😎. No more locking bags to sled. 😎

5 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Mount an air tag some where on can. Then if some picks it up you get a notification right away. Then worked good on my trip to Asia. No cell or wifi won’t help you but most cases you have one at least. Ever falls off while riding you be able to back track too. I won’t do a sled trip without them in my bags now. 😎

Ya was on the news about a lady that had one in lost luggage. Air Canada flight. 4 months ago kinda weird it took so long or maybe cause the tv got involved. My wife follows different travel social media and it's all the rage putting them in luggage I guess. 

2 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Ya was on the news about a lady that had one in lost luggage. Air Canada flight. 4 months ago kinda weird it took so long or maybe cause the tv got involved. My wife follows different travel social media and it's all the rage putting them in luggage I guess. 

Air Canada lost my wife’s bag too on way down in November. No air tag in that one go figure. They help you find luggage in air port too. When I got to Indonesia they made me get a passport. So it took me an extra hour before I could get my bags. By the time I got to baggage area airline had security guy lock them up. Never figure that out without tags 😂. I swear they have a way to check bags and steal ones without tags. 🤣

Always thought there was honour and trust in the snowmobiling community. As Strong Farmer said frozen locks can mess up a trip. I have a cable lock for my Linq fuel tank so they can't steal; but lock freezes. So I lock at night. They can steal the fuel but not the container (I hope). Now I have to watch my handlebar bag as well as my luggage. 

I have a cable lock as well for the fuel can. Saw a guy last year at domain valga. Btw just a awesome place lol. So I bought a cable.  From now on I may be putting the cable thru all the bags and tank as well during the day