Slow leak

Baylaker

On 1/12/2023 at 10:33 AM, stoney said:

When I had my leaky tire, I first tried to find the leak on the treads, usual culprit - no luck and carried on.

Weeks went by and I was bored and the leak was starting to bother me so spent more time searching for it.

Laying time flat on he ground with the rim facing down and spay soap/water mixture around the rim on the side facing up so the water was pooling at the rim/tire surface is how I found the leak finally, very small slow leak. 

Tire shops and the gas station repair shops like the one I worked at many many years ago used to have half moon tanks of water where you would submerse the tires in and turn until you saw the bubbles - I do not think they still have these anymore though.

I still have mine and use it often, problem is all these wheel/tire combo's are getting wider and taller, they don't fit so well in the tank.

• Like 1

Problem solved….for now lol. 
thanks for everyone’s help in trying to diagnose my slow leak problem. I completely forgot I had put a plug in it last year and only noticed it while spinning my tire in the water…which wasn’t bubbling btw. I just saw it and thought, that sure does look like a plug and then realized that has to be where the leak is coming from. Anyways, it’s holding air now! 👌🏻

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Baylaker said:

So I decided to put the kids pool under the tire and fill it with water today. Turns out I previously installed a plug in this tire last year lol.

ripped out the old plug and put a new one in. Put some heat to the new plug to make it really tacky. I’ll know in the morning forsure if that was the problem…completely forgot about that. 

When using a consumer patch kit like the ones from Canadian Tire or Princess I like to grab an extra tube of rubber cement. If any comes with the kit it's usually too little to be much use.  Slather it all over the install tool before and after fitting the plug on it.

The cement obviously helps the plug seal. But it also helps the tool slide out without pulling plug back out. 

Trim the tag ends and burn and gtg.

The inside patch best way to go of course, but it's hard to fit tire spoons into the glove box lol. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, VicFish said:

When using a consumer patch kit like the ones from Canadian Tire or Princess I like to grab an extra tube of rubber cement. If any comes with the kit it's usually too little to be much use.  Slather it all over the install tool before and after fitting the plug on it.

The cement obviously helps the plug seal. But it also helps the tool slide out without pulling plug back out. 

Trim the tag ends and burn and gtg.

The inside patch best way to go of course, but it's hard to fit tire spoons into the glove box lol. 

Ya, the plugs come too dry from the factory - need some extra lube ... lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1