Robinsons Dorset On - Temp Closure

stoney

So the Aziz sends me a text message yesterday saying he’s having car trouble and that’s why he hasn’t come in. He sent me a picture of a flat and “I can’t get to work until I sort this out so I’m gone”.

Then today he messages my wife and asks for a record of employment so he can go to the bank and get a loan to fix his car.

I kid you not. I couldn’t make this stuff up. I think he’s on drugs or possibly he should be medicated. People like this make me nervous.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

So the Aziz sends me a text message yesterday saying he’s having car trouble and that’s why he hasn’t come in. He sent me a picture of a flat and “I can’t get to work until I sort this out so I’m gone”.

Then today he messages my wife and asks for a record of employment so he can go to the bank and get a loan to fix his car.

I kid you not. I couldn’t make this stuff up. I think he’s on drugs or possibly he should be medicated. People like this make me nervous.

When you consider the cost for a young person to own a car and the wages they likely make, it’s not surprising when the car breaks down that it puts them in a bad spot. 
Not saying it’s right or what’s he is asking for is, just something that I know I’ve thought of many times, especially when you consider fewer and fewer people either have the skill set, tools or want to work on their own cars, that saves you huge. I know I was and still am lucky to be able too because I hate spending that money to have a person fix my vehicle or stuff…..I guess something my dad bestowed in me at a young age. 
Besides, the bank is more likely to give him a car loan before they give him a loan to fix a car…lol

55 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Wait you didn’t give him a company truck?

I would have quit too!

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, stoney said:

When you consider the cost for a young person to own a car and the wages they likely make, it’s not surprising when the car breaks down that it puts them in a bad spot. 
Not saying it’s right or what’s he is asking for is, just something that I know I’ve thought of many times, especially when you consider fewer and fewer people either have the skill set, tools or want to work on their own cars, that saves you huge. I know I was and still am lucky to be able too because I hate spending that money to have a person fix my vehicle or stuff…..I guess something my dad bestowed in me at a young age. 
Besides, the bank is more likely to give him a car loan before they give him a loan to fix a car…lol

Not that I believe his issue with not coming to work has to do with the car but let's go with that.

He lives 5 minutes from me, on a bus route. Worst case, he could catch an Uber for under $15 each way, work a 10 hour day and still have $200 per day to put towards his car repairs.

He is not the only employee that has done this. I had a guy a couple years ago say he needed to take his car in to have work done so he needed the day off. I said "why not drop the car off and one of us will pick you up?" He said no because he liked to watch them do the work. I had another who hit a fire hydrant when he swerved to miss a cat. He took 4 days off while waiting for his car the be repaired.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Not that I believe his issue with not coming to work has to do with the car but let's go with that.

He lives 5 minutes from me, on a bus route. Worst case, he could catch an Uber for under $15 each way, work a 10 hour day and still have $200 per day to put towards his car repairs.

He is not the only employee that has done this. I had a guy a couple years ago say he needed to take his car in to have work done so he needed the day off. I said "why not drop the car off and one of us will pick you up?" He said no because he liked to watch them do the work. I had another who hit a fire hydrant when he swerved to miss a cat. He took 4 days off while waiting for his car the be repaired.

LOL, very creative excuses.

I agree, there are other ways to get to work vs. your own car....that is if you really want too!

I remember when the five guys I use to work with years ago on a crew would all meet at one home and car pool from there to the jobs sites, even picked up a guy if needed along the way - there are always ways around things.

aziz sure has bad luck,2 flat tires in a week!!!

13 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

he swerved to miss a cat

The OPP have been looking for that nuisance cat for years. Ran out in front of a lot of people in Ontario. Lol 😂 

39 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Wait you didn’t give him a company truck?

I have a company pick-up truck and if a new guy comes along, has ambition and actually tries to do a good job, i'll wake up early and pick them up if they're  having cash flow or vehicle/license problems. Heck i'll lend em the money if they just show some effort. Happened a few times over the years. 
Sadly most cant even use a rake or a shovel. Lack of a father figure perhaps with a lot of them i guess. No tonka toys growing up, maybe playing with barbie dolls, i dont know. I find they cant communicate in person either. Its sad really. 

• Like 2

R. O. E. after 1 day, delete him .Someone better will come along, your time is to valuable .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve F6 said:

The OPP have been looking for that nuisance cat for years. Ran out in front of a lot of people in Ontario. Lol 😂 

I have a company pick-up truck and if a new guy comes along, has ambition and actually tries to do a good job, i'll wake up early and pick them up if they're  having cash flow or vehicle/license problems. Heck i'll lend em the money if they just show some effort. Happened a few times over the years. 
Sadly most cant even use a rake or a shovel. Lack of a father figure perhaps with a lot of them i guess. No tonka toys growing up, maybe playing with barbie dolls, i dont know. I find they cant communicate in person either. Its sad really. 

One of my employees said he had picked up a chick that night and was driving her home when it happened. Possibly a bit distracted at the wheel.

And I agree with the rest. I have no problem helping out my employees. I'll send them home with a truck when their vehicle is stuck in the shop or truck and trailer if they need it to move an item. My employees often borrow my tools and equipment for a weekend for home projects or to help a buddy. They pay me rent if they are using my stuff to make money.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Wash your hands before he has a WSIB claim on your books - or sues you for some other stupid reason.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Wash your hands before he has a WSIB claim on your books - or sues you for some other stupid reason.

Yep. 

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Perhaps he would be better suited as an Uber driver.

• Haha 1

I believe our wonderful courts have now come to the verdict that being lazy is no longer grounds for dismissal.

A friend of mine has a landscape company and was telling me he hired a guy, worked for two weeks, collected his first cheque and never showed up the next day.  3 months later, buddy comes strutting into his yard like nothing happened and expected to have his job.  

• Sad 1

Does the three month probation not still exist, that can be extended to six if after three things are border line?

And you can let any employee go within that probation period without cause.

28 minutes ago, LuvMyViper said:

I'm thinking of separating the topics in this thread.

Maybe name the new thread Aziz and friends.. any thoughts?

"Political challenges of todays bubble wrapped workforce"

or 

"Blackstar's search for good honest employees not afraid to put in a solid day of physical work"

lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The job should have been advertised as extreme physical fitness conditioning program.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...