Robinsons Dorset On - Temp Closure

stoney

Yes I am glad they are going to reopen. At least someone is willing to try. You have to sacrifice alot of time to make this a go. Obviously it's not for everyone.Now show them the potential of the Spucedale and others that have gone under.

There is a very wide spectrum as to how people of any background handle circumstances, many have seen the bad unfortunately but there are plenty of good too. 
Requires hard work, great personal skills, good management and pride of ownership…..may take some time to win people over. 

Happy to hear it’s opened again and wishing whoever takes on the challenge, success. 

20 hours ago, Motorhead said:

Yes I am glad they are going to reopen. At least someone is willing to try. You have to sacrifice alot of time to make this a go. Obviously it's not for everyone.Now show them the potential of the Spucedale and others that have gone under.

Sprucedale needs to become a motorcyle/ atv destination to succeed. Once the word gets out on the good roads of 518 then they will do ok

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 10:22 AM, crispy said:

Indians LOVE small businesses and who can blame them? For whatever reason Gen X Canadian born do NOT like small businesses. They seem to prefer the commie approach sucking on the gov't teets. What a shame.

I wish the new owners tremendous success. We had a thread going a few months ago about new immigrants working their butts off, getting ahead, while born in Canada kids and young adults are getting high, doing as little as possible.

I'm hiring right now. Ran a posting on Indeed. Got 50 responses. Sent requests for interviews to 20 candidates. Got 4 who agreed to an interview. The first was Tyler who never showed for his scheduled time. When messaged he said he had to help his grandfather, he'd get back when he had more time.

I have interviews set up with Ali, Ravinder and Aziz tomorrow. I bet they all show and are excited to get the job.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I'm hiring right now. Ran a posting on Indeed. Got 50 responses. Sent requests for interviews to 20 candidates. Got 4 who agreed to an interview. The first was Tyler who never showed for his scheduled time. When messaged he said he had to help his grandfather, he'd get back when he had more time.

I have interviews set up with Ali, Ravinder and Aziz tomorrow. I bet they all show and are excited to get the job.

LOL - sounds about right!

Which is sad, btw.

At least Tyler did not get his mom to give you the excuse for a no show i.e. sick, family pass away, dog ate my breakfast, etc.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Sad but true. Son has  rental cabins and a local business has rented them to house East Indians who are willing to

come up here and work. For the record these are nice, friendly people who work hard and appreciate the 

opportunity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldslowsledder said:

Sad but true. Son has  rental cabins and a local business has rented them to house East Indians who are willing to

come up here and work. For the record these are nice, friendly people who work hard and appreciate the 

opportunity.

Yup. And know that the true path is to work and build a business

• Like 3

I believe the core issue with the youth is on two fronts, and a third issue. The two fronts are 1; home life has changed so much over the past 30 years that in almost all cases both parents work, and the kids are provided with more stuff, without having to do chore work for it. Most of said stuff involves sitting on duff clicking buttons, staring at screens, eating junk food, and never hearing the word no. It is very hard to blame the parents for this as they have provided well for their children and certainly made sure they had the things the parents did not growing up which is sound motivation, but the end outcomes of their kids futures are now as we see Tyler above etc not off to a rosy start. Almost as if todays age of 30 is yesterdays 18. 2. Work ethic and rewards for merit and successes. By and large this seems to have been evaporated in the under 25 crowd and for this it is entirely the no winners/losers in sports, everyone gets a trophy nonsense taught at schools to blame. The schools have done a great job and getting people to mostly respect one another, if only it were not at the expense of their own individual potential and the potential of all of us within Canada itself. Which transitions me into the third issue. Federal and provincial debts and policy are moving us towards a very challenging time for these gen y/z and beyond people. The very people our gov't has knee capped psychologically speaking against their own potential by winding them down to passives non aggressive non competes. At the very time we need high levels of ambition and innovation to raise our national economy up to pay off all the bad debt policy from the boomers.

So as we are now seeing whos filling that hole and as far as I can see over achieving? Immigrants. To this end, I wish them well because if they are going to be Canadians then I wish them to be prosperous Canadians. What good would we be as Canadians if we didnt provide this potential for immigrants?

Domestically speaking How do we possibly turn the tides in favour of our own home grown kids to also thrive? We need to start with the schools, ditch the woke crap, keep factual things as they are and do our best to support the ones who fall through those inevitable cracks instead of forcing all the kids downwards through those very same cracks under wokeism policy and calling that fair. It absolutely is not fair, its also incredibly unwise and even worse, its child abuse. No more

• Like 3

16 hours ago, crispy said:

I believe the core issue with the youth is on two fronts, and a third issue. The two fronts are 1; home life has changed so much over the past 30 years that in almost all cases both parents work, and the kids are provided with more stuff, without having to do chore work for it. Most of said stuff involves sitting on duff clicking buttons, staring at screens, eating junk food, and never hearing the word no. It is very hard to blame the parents for this as they have provided well for their children and certainly made sure they had the things the parents did not growing up which is sound motivation, but the end outcomes of their kids futures are now as we see Tyler above etc not off to a rosy start. Almost as if todays age of 30 is yesterdays 18. 2. Work ethic and rewards for merit and successes. By and large this seems to have been evaporated in the under 25 crowd and for this it is entirely the no winners/losers in sports, everyone gets a trophy nonsense taught at schools to blame. The schools have done a great job and getting people to mostly respect one another, if only it were not at the expense of their own individual potential and the potential of all of us within Canada itself. Which transitions me into the third issue. Federal and provincial debts and policy are moving us towards a very challenging time for these gen y/z and beyond people. The very people our gov't has knee capped psychologically speaking against their own potential by winding them down to passives non aggressive non competes. At the very time we need high levels of ambition and innovation to raise our national economy up to pay off all the bad debt policy from the boomers.

So as we are now seeing whos filling that hole and as far as I can see over achieving? Immigrants. To this end, I wish them well because if they are going to be Canadians then I wish them to be prosperous Canadians. What good would we be as Canadians if we didnt provide this potential for immigrants?

Domestically speaking How do we possibly turn the tides in favour of our own home grown kids to also thrive? We need to start with the schools, ditch the woke crap, keep factual things as they are and do our best to support the ones who fall through those inevitable cracks instead of forcing all the kids downwards through those very same cracks under wokeism policy and calling that fair. It absolutely is not fair, its also incredibly unwise and even worse, its child abuse. No more

Parents stopped parenting and relied on schools to do so.  Do not rely on your school system to provide emotional, social or societal education. Infantilism and the abscence of peronal responsibility is the real killer of our society. It allows wokeism to thrive and prosper with a sense of entitlement for us and our children. So stop looking to schools and teach your own children the values, ethics of our parents and their parents before them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Parents stopped parenting and relied on schools to do so.  Do not rely on your school system to provide emotional, social or societal education. Infantilism and the abscence of peronal responsibility is the real killer of our society. It allows wokeism to thrive and prosper with a sense of entitlement for us and our children. So stop looking to schools and teach your own children the values, ethics of our parents and their parents before them

Take this one step back, the parents also don’t have those same values or ethics their parents had - somehow lost along the way. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stoney said:

Take this one step back, the parents also don’t have those same values or ethics their parents had - somehow lost along the way. 

Possibly, but I'm talking about our generation and our responsibilities. I know i was told at 14 to get a job. Had no choice in the matter. 

However, I don't want to turn this into "I had to walk to school uphill both ways to school " thread

2 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Possibly, but I'm talking about our generation and our responsibilities. I know i was told at 14 to get a job. Had no choice in the matter. 

However, I don't want to turn this into "I had to walk to school uphill both ways to school " thread

Yes, that’s what I’m talking about. 
Parents now are not following in their parents foot prints with those values, ethics, etc….like get a job, pull your weight, forcing your child to accept responsibility, etc…

Those same values we were taught from our parents that have stuck with some and lost with others….I’m sure there is a timeline where more evident in some age groups vs others. 
Crispy states reasons for this, like both parents working possibly creating this, which I think is partially true, but parents can still be relevant in kids life while working…is it also the gaming thing vs. getting outside, there are no losers, etc….anymore. 
Clearly we know now there is a lack of backbone in many, so going along with things that your parents would not have for fear of being different, not following the narrative. 

42 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

At 12 I had to start my first summer job.  Once my kids hit that age or so, they will have to do the same

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

At 12 I had to start my first summer job.  Once my kids hit that age or so, they will have to do the same

You’re such a mean father….😝

I think some of the challenges now are jobs we used to be able to do at younger ages, are no longer possible until you are certain age. 

12 minutes ago, stoney said:

I think some of the challenges now are jobs we used to be able to do at younger ages, are no longer possible until you are certain age. 

This could be true.  My kids ae 5 and 3 now.  It'll be a while before I really start to crack the whip.  Who knows what the world will look like down the road

Its great to see you guys thinking about ideas and contributing to this kind of discussion, its very healthy. In my experience once peoples emotional energy is idling around neutral, its quite easy to solve challenges and resolve problems. Speaking of emotional energy this

At the same time, the gender gap in support for federal parties has grown wider than at any time in recent memory. Last month, a poll by the Angus Reid Institute found that while Conservatives were leading among every age group of Canadian men, they were still getting steamrolled by the Liberals and the NDP among women voters.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/conservative-favourite-party-of-unionized-canadians

is one major discussion that needs to happen with calm, low tones, and no name calling. Logical solutions bring about logical reality. Emotional decisions that try and create solutions, end in chaos. Very unhealthy position the Liberals and NDP have sold onto the women of Canada. As always the key to remember, if it sounds too good to be true? It is.

34 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

My daughter is 16 and has been working for a year and a half. She is the only one in her peer group who works.

It's been a tremendous experience for her in so many ways.

She is taking a "leave" for the summer and has secured good employment in Huntsville for the summer so she can cottage and work.

Kid is smart :)

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

This could be true.  My kids ae 5 and 3 now.  It'll be a while before I really start to crack the whip.  Who knows what the world will look like down the road

Paper delivery might be one still done by younger kids - although all I see now are adults doing it, but I think because there are no kids looking to do it.

That was my first job, delivered the Toronto Star, made some good coin for candy, arcade, etc.....tips was where it was at....lol

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stoney said:

always jobs out there

25 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

My daughter is 16 and has been working for a year and a half. She is the only one in her peer group who works.

She is taking a "leave" for the summer and has secured good employment in Huntsville for the summer so she can cottage and work.

Huntsville is dying for workers. Good decision

24 minutes ago, stoney said:

Paper delivery might be one still done by younger kids - although all I see now are adults doing it, but I think because there are no kids looking to do it.

That was my first job, delivered the Toronto Star, made some good coin for candy, arcade, etc.....tips was where it was at....lol

Dish pig for me.  

25 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

We were up in Parry Sound last year on the in-laws boat and got talking to the deckhand.  She was 18 and just took the job last year.  She is from the London area and was telling us that non of her friends have worked in 3 years.  They were all staying at home collecting the free handouts.  She said it is pretty pathetic of them and others her age she knows.  Good on your daughter.  Where is she working in Huntsville?

25 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

always jobs out there

Huntsville is dying for workers. Good decision

They sure are - if you're in Huntsville, physically capable, and not working - its by choice.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

Dish pig for me.  

We were up in Parry Sound last year on the in-laws boat and got talking to the deckhand.  She was 18 and just took the job last year.  She is from the London area and was telling us that non of her friends have worked in 3 years.  They were all staying at home collecting the free handouts.  She said it is pretty pathetic of them and others her age she knows.  Good on your daughter.  Where is she working in Huntsville?

Algonquin Outfitters

Her plan is to ride the Seadoo into work on the nice days :)

I'm ready to quit here and join her lol 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Algonquin Outfitters

Her plan is to ride the Seadoo into work on the nice days :)

I'm ready to quit here and join her lol 

Perfect.  That sounds like a good gig for the summer

39 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

They sure are - if you're in Huntsville, physically capable, and not working - its by choice.

Curious, what options for jobs did your daughter have at 14 years old that she could work at?

I thought you needed to be 15 to work at most places you see kids at i.e. Timmies, McD, grocery store, etc.....

But maybe its 14 or perhaps lower.

47 minutes ago, stoney said:

Curious, what options for jobs did your daughter have at 14 years old that she could work at?

I thought you needed to be 15 to work at most places you see kids at i.e. Timmies, McD, grocery store, etc.....

But maybe its 14 or perhaps lower.

It's 14.

Cineplex - and it has been a very good place to cut her teeth at.

Great employer all around

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1