Robinsons Dorset On - Temp Closure

stoney

46 minutes ago, stoney said:

I was just reading a newsfeed that this iconic store is closed, temporarily. 
I didn’t see anything already posted on it. 
What a shame it would be to see this place disappear. 

Everyone ordering Amazon not leaving their place of residence. Internet buying going to kill everything local all thru Ontario. Next generation after me don’t even want to leave house to get food. They order meals in ie skip dishes or Uber eats is taking over too. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, gobills said:

He went too big too quick imo.  

The new owner I assume you are referring too - apparently changed owners last couple of years?

I know it seemed as though there were constant renovations each time I was there.....or maybe the same one just not completed.

Store always had people in it too, like most small cottage country small stores seem too......but I am sure there are dead times.

30 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Everyone ordering Amazon not leaving their place of residence. Internet buying going to kill everything local all thru Ontario. Next generation after me don’t even want to leave house to get food. They order meals in ie skip dishes or Uber eats is taking over too. 

the world is changing at a rapid pace

7 minutes ago, stoney said:

The new owner I assume you are referring too - apparently changed owners last couple of years?

I know it seemed as though there were constant renovations each time I was there.....or maybe the same one just not completed.

Store always had people in it too, like most small cottage country small stores seem too......but I am sure there are dead times.

Ya the new owner.  Too many changes, very expensive stuff he brought in.  Could be a contributing factor.  Who knows? I hope that it can come back to life, it really is a great spot.

• Like 1

Been there as long as I have  been alive.

Strange times

I would have ex[acted the main portion of the business is the grocery side and the other stuff catered more to the cottagers or out of town folk on the other levels of the building based on seasonal sales

Of course all things would be more expensive overall given the past couple of years - is it cheaper to run to Minden grocery stores for food or perhaps Huntsville?

Maybe the new owners just did not have enough capital to keep things a float month to month, especially the slow months.

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

When is the last time you saw a coffee truck on the road?   They are also pretty much gone.  Another victim of skip and Uber eats.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Sksman said:

When is the last time you saw a coffee truck on the road?   They are also pretty much gone.  Another victim of skip and Uber eats.

They are - you mean the ones that cater to construction sites morning, noon and afternoon?

23 hours ago, stoney said:

They are - you mean the ones that cater to construction sites morning, noon and afternoon?

And factories    

35 minutes ago, Sksman said:

And factories    

I never noticed that they were disappearing, but now that you mentioned it, I am not sure I see all that many as I used too.

what are workers at these locations now using for their breaks and lunches - getting frugal and packing a lunch?

9 hours ago, stoney said:

I never noticed that they were disappearing, but now that you mentioned it, I am not sure I see all that many as I used too.

what are workers at these locations now using for their breaks and lunches - getting frugal and packing a lunch?

regulations and government oversight..................killed the food truck industry. Like all industries eventually. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I read on a Muskoka Cottagers page that the previous owner of the store was holding the mortgage and he has called it in.   

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

regulations and government oversight..................killed the food truck industry. Like all industries eventually. 

Yes exactly you can’t even sell a hot dog on street with a cart without a permit today. I was at sky dome a little while ago and guy told me he is only allowed to operate in his little sqaure. No other vendors within 30 feet I say too.

Car club says if they charge admission township would require an operating permit. They wanted a cut on 50/50 too so I believe club stopped that and only making money on food. It is on a private property too for most part except pond edge and side walk area would be township property. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I read on a Muskoka Cottagers page that the previous owner of the store was holding the mortgage and he has called it in.   

Read similar info - Robinson's was holding the mortgage and new owner is struggling financially, defaulted, etc......

So I am guessing once the legal piece is overcome, it will resume under old owner, just a guess though of course.

11 hours ago, stoney said:

Read similar info - Robinson's was holding the mortgage and new owner is struggling financially, defaulted, etc......

So I am guessing once the legal piece is overcome, it will resume under old owner, just a guess though of course.

hopefully

On 1/12/2023 at 8:05 AM, UsedtoSkidoo said:

A friend who was in the business blames Skip the dishes and Uber eats on a large part   

They had a kitchen selling to the trucks   

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 8:13 PM, gobills said:

He went too big too quick imo.  

Bingo. Had they concentrated on running the store very well as it had been in the past they would have been fine. Yes online shopping has an effect however that store well run was worth going to as an experience. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

Bingo. Had they concentrated on running the store very well as it had been in the past they would have been fine. Yes online shopping has an effect however that store well run was worth going to as an experience. 

Isn't it crazy that someone will purchase a successful business, paying a premium because it is successful and then change the success formula. Restaurants are famous for this. Pay a big buck and then change the menu.

• 2 months later...
On 1/12/2023 at 8:36 PM, stoney said:

Read this just now on F/B:

Robinson’s General Store in Dorset has found its new owners.

Joanne Robinson, whose family founded the iconic business, wrote on Facebook that brothers Ven Komina and Satya Jyesta will take over operations.

According to Robinson, the new family is targeting early April to reopen, taking a few weeks to transition back to full service.

The business had been open since 1921 but closed at the start of January. She says like the community, her family was both disappointed and devastated when they learned the store closed in January and have been working in the background to get the business  back open.

“We look forward to the community welcoming the new people and giving them all the support they need to allow the store to thrive again,” said Robinson.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

They are planning to re-open this week under "new ownership". Now we just need the restaurant to open.

• Like 2

Indians LOVE small businesses and who can blame them? For whatever reason Gen X Canadian born do NOT like small businesses. They seem to prefer the commie approach sucking on the gov't teets. What a shame.

I wish the new owners tremendous success. We had a thread going a few months ago about new immigrants working their butts off, getting ahead, while born in Canada kids and young adults are getting high, doing as little as possible.

• Like 2