Life is never easy

Wildbill

will win this battle too.
As I dislike rumours etc. I have decided to make it public that I have been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. I now face MRI's,Cat scans and bone scans as we find out the next steps.
I am blessed with great friends and family as well as a great team at our businesses.
I have had battles all of my life this will not be my last battle. I grew up as a fat blonde kid and had to deal with bullies my entire school career that made me stronger in the end. My Dad died after a 5 year horrifc battle with cancer when I was 13. One of the things that hurt my dad the most was the friends that abandoned him once he was diagnosed with cancer. I was lost for years after that but I fought back. We lost the family farm during the dark days of the early eighties when the feed lot was struck by a firbrinous pnuemonia and the bank called our loans despite us never having missed a payment.
With what we had left we purchased a run down marina near Carnarvon. The first fall the house burnt down,the insurance company initially tried not to honour the policy (a battle that they lost in court years later) I spent that winter sleeping in a camper trailer that was loaned to us by a nieghbour while my Mom and brother shared an uninsulated cabin both without running water or washrooms. I brought in income by working in forestry,drywall, house moving whatever I could while still fixing sleds in what then was an unheated workshop as the folks that sold the marina to us had lied about the furnace and we could not afford to replace it.
These also made me stronger. And a bit cold lol the heat went out in that trailer everytime it hit 20 below.
We built the marina back up perhaps a bit too much for that marketplace. Sales were great and we were super busy. Then the huge recession of the late eighties and eary 90s hit and we were not ready. Stuck with millions of dollars of inventory,skyrocketing interest rates and the fedral governments refusal to refund us over 100,000.00 dollars that they did admit that they owed us the business folded.
My Brother and I both landed jobs at Parry Sound Marine full time year round jobs! We could not find a place to rent but we did fnd a house that we could be purchased with no down payment. That worked as we were broke having not collected a paycheque for years trying to keep the marina afloat. I thrived there. It was a great team . In august PSM announced that they were going seasonal. I opened up Rosseau Road Enterprises as a winter only business in response.
Once again I was not defeated by events. I guess what does not kill you makes you stronger.
That fall I met Jen and we began dating. This has definitly made me stronger. My wife Jen is the most amazing person in the world. We became engaged in April of 93. Set a wedding for March of 94. As my family has not had the best record of longevity we decided to start our family. We were married in March 94 and had our first child in June of 94 on my brthday! In august of 94 I was laid off at Parry Sound Marine as it was failing and eventually became bankrupt. Faced with a lack of income I worked at anything I could and grew our business in order to survive.
Funny thing is that I was told by my bosses at PSM that they regretted the decision to lay me off but that they new that I would succeed. I guess that it made me stronger again as it did not kill me either.
Rosseau Road Enterprises began taking on non snowmobile work Marine etc.
The next summer I worked at a Muskoka marina often in excess of eighty hours a week however they would only pay me maximum 60 hours and bank the rest at even rate. Never overtme was paid.My productivity was often in excess of 100%. However it did pay the bills. To make ends meet I sold my Dodge Dart a decision that both Jen and I struggled with. (I told you that she is amazing!) . That fall when approached by the boss at that marina as to what service schools that I wanted to go to I told him that I was not coming back to him. His words to me were that I was the first person to leave there that he could trust my work 100 percent.
I took a job at a tiny marina with the understanding that I would only stay 3 years seasonally and all that tme I was going to be building my own busness to be full time full throttle. True to my word that is what I did. Our daughter was born in my final year there.
Jen and I have never looked back. Rosseau Road Enterprises grew to be Rosseau Road Powersports and Marine.
May 8th 2001 while sittng in a line of traffic I was heavily rear ended by a large van. This destroyed our van and sent me to hospital. I suffered a fractured ankle,7 herniated discs ,so much muscle damage to my right leg that it turned black,My C1 vertabrae was permanently turned by 10 degrees both shoulders were badly damaged and more. I was told that I could accept a pension. I did not. I kept on working. I forced myself to get stronger as I believe that that was the right thing to do. I still suffer from these injuries but I do not regret my actions. It made me stronger I guess in a way. It forces me to spend more time thinking and less time doing. So as not to be so sore.
A good neighbour and a great man sold us the property that we built the new shop on. My son John joined the business and our youngest son was born. We moved forward with much help from frends and customers.
We continue to grow and care for our customers and our team. We are blessed to be surrounded by good people. I have a family who loves me,great friends and great staff each and every one of them have earned my trust and my love. I am blessed. We have two grandchildren!
I WILL SURVIVE !
To those who wish to gossip go to hell!
To those who wish to support please give your loved ones a huge hug that is my only wish.
I will survive and this somehow will make me stronger. Our business will continue to grow and thrive. We have a great team that will carry forward and I will likely still be here 7 days a week often. I actually like this place. It is my team and customers that I like the most.
Stay tuned good news will follow.
If all of this could not kill me this wont either
Wildbill
  • Like 36
  • Sad 2

Unbelievable story Wildbill, incredible!  Thoughts and prayers for you going forward. 

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your story of courage and determination. You’re in my thoughts and prayers during this challenging time. 

Wow Bill, that is an incredible story and you are to be commended. Your personal strength and will power will no doubt help you succeed against this current set back. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. 

Thoughts and prayers Bill. Stay strong!

You got this my friend my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family 

• Like 1

Best of luck Bill, will be heading down to purchase some studs as soon as the son's sled comes in. Hope to run

in to you and wish you the best in person   👍

"Hard Times Create Strong Men"

You've got this.

Thank you for sharing your story Bill. You have a remarkable family, and a remarkable life. Cancer does not and will not define you, or your character. Keep up the good work, and the good fight. There are many new breakthroughs in cancer treatments and technologies. I had a good friend diagnosed with the same prostate cancer a few years ago, he struggled through treatments, and is in an experimental treatment now, and currently his most recent check showed no cancer present. You too can beat this!  you know you have support and friends here, lean on us, when you need to. Ski

• Like 7

Hi Bill.. Thanks for sharing your story and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Have you ever seen a video called "Run From The Cure - The Rick Simpson Story"?

Here's Rick Simpson's website https://phoenixtears.ca/

Fell free to contact me anytime if you have any questions. There is also a Part 2...

Get well soon.. Rick

• Like 1

Bill, I don’t know you and I just joined this forum a few days ago. Thanks for sharing your incredible journey so far…prayers for you and your family. 

• Like 3

This one only a bump in middle of trail for you. You have it smoothed out and back to your normal self in no time. Good luck we all look forward to riding with you sometime again. 
Farming almost killed my father in 1980’s too but it was chickens that kept place afloat and above water. Not great margins but enough to stay above and to keep going. I enjoyed working with my dad all way thru 90’s, 2000’s until day he got a bad bacteria infection in 2019. He was gone in 4 weeks.  Still wish I had my dad but god decided his time was up at young age of 74 no medication and surgery couldn’t save him. 
Good luck my friend your family still needs you. We all pray for you! 

Hey Bill - your screen name says it all :)..  Just another bump in the road of life.  Stay positive and listen to you intuition, you'll be back in the saddle in no time.

😉

That is a great story to read to see how you have endured through the valleys of life to come out on top and with such a great attitude - may your success record continue as well!

Yes, many blessing to be thankful for that you have received along the way - may you, your kids and their kids continue to be blessed!

I also do not know you, have only bought a few items from your business, have always heard nothing but good things about your business/you, as well suggested to others to consider Rosseau marine, and thank you for sharing your story - not for those that may judge or start rumours, but to share your struggles in the past, now and possibly yet to come that I am sure many will chose not to abandon you but have a greater respect and support for you.

Certainly going to give my loved ones an extra long hug on your behalf my friend. You have this.....

2 hours ago, DanB said:

Bill, I don’t know you and I just joined this forum a few days ago. Thanks for sharing your incredible journey so far…prayers for you and your family. 

Welcome to the forum Dan B!

Thanks for your inspiring story and continued fight. Cancer is a nasty hidden disease that very recently took my wife away from me. 

Continue to stay strong. I will add you to my thoughts (I'm not much for prayers)

Jerry

• Sad 1

Bill you have one hell of a history . A survivor  for sure , better days ahead . 

My thoughts are with you WildBill during this difficult time.  Thank you for sharing your update.

On 1/10/2023 at 6:38 AM, Wildbill said:
To those who wish to support please give your loved ones a huge hug that is my only wish.

Wildbill

And the award for the heart of Gold goes to; WildBill. A true blue gentleman here folks, what a rare treasure.

Incredible story thanks for sharing. With such a strong, resilient, and positive attitude you have all the odds in your favour. You and your family are in our prayers

• Like 2

Sorry to hear of your struggle extending you best wishes as you embark on this battle that you will surely overcome as just another obstacle in your path. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!