Kapuskasing Jan 2023

ecarnell

2 hours ago, Baylaker said:

OFSC is trying to eliminate Facebook? Just wondering if you could maybe shed a bit of light on this? 

What ScottyR said.

As I club we were told to stop posting trail conditions on our Facebook page. You will find just about all clubs will now put up a post saying "Refer to the ITG" or watch the ITG for updates.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

What ScottyR said.

As I club we were told to stop posting trail conditions on our Facebook page. You will find just about all clubs will now put up a post saying "Refer to the ITG" or watch the ITG for updates.

Yes, our club does this and I’ve noticed many other clubs post this as well. 
I can see now where there could be liability issues, for example, ITG saying the trail is closed and then a club saying it’s open. Makes sense.

56 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

What ScottyR said.

Ah, well that is a little different from what I was thinking then.

Pretty sure our club always says refer to the ITG for status updates- but are kind enough to post pics of the work they do etc. - which is what I really enjoy to view.

As long as they aren't trying to shut down images and updates of all the great work these clubs do - then I'm good with the "refer" - but I very much enjoy seeing what all is going on behind the scenes - and those doing it should be proud to showcase it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Spiderman said:

lol, makes for a good story.

Maybe in our crazy insurance companies eyes....lol

I do not agree with it, but only publishing the trail status on one platform controlled by the OFSC, makes sense to limit exposure and I am sure as a result receive discounts.

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

Pretty sure our club always says refer to the ITG for status updates- but are kind enough to post pics of the work they do etc. - which is what I really enjoy to view.

As long as they aren't trying to shut down images and updates of all the great work these clubs do - then I'm good with the "refer" - but I very much enjoy seeing what all is going on behind the scenes - and those doing it should be proud to showcase it.

Lots of clubs still post pictures, which I think most appreciate that and just like you, enjoy seeing them - just like people posting pictures of their rides that most enjoy seeing others enjoying the sport by those that are part of it!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, stoney said:

only publishing the trail status on one platform controlled by the OFSC, makes sense to limit exposure and I am sure as a result receive discounts.

That's one of the reasons I started the forum. We can post whatever we want and it doesn't effect the OFSC.  Trail Status has always been in control of the OFSC (as it should), trail reports is something completely different. Ya can't beat real-time trail reports with pictures :)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

Pics of work and such is not a problem, just trail status posts.

Several years ago, we would put a post up on Facebook and email our club members to let them know when trails were open or opening, well before the ITG would be updated.

1 hour ago, LuvMyViper said:

Trail Status has always been in control of the OFSC

I'm pretty certain that for a lot of years the individual clubs controlled the status of their trails and put up/took down their trail closed signs accordingly. At present (at least in District 5) I believe it is still a collaboration between each clubs' trail boss and the groomer captain(s). Decision made, one of them will then have someone at the District office change the particular trail status on the ITG.

• Thanks 2

but, how long does it take to update the ITG, and who does that, and who authorizes the change? Ski

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

but, how long does it take to update the ITG, and who does that, and who authorizes the change? Ski

I believe it gets updated daily now not just a few days a week like before. Been much better last few years in south anyways. Seen them go green in a timely manner and red by end of the day when weather turns. 

I remember when they only updated it on Tuesday and Thursday. And then if there was an error or omission, it wasnt corrected until the next update, maybe. I just learned not to trust it. Speak with our local club reps, and look out the window,  and decide if I want to ride or not. But, with us being on almost 100% crown land or frozen waterways, that is easy to do.  I understand not everyone rides where we do, and have those options with private land, and trail closures. Ski

10 hours ago, skidooboy said:

In our area it can be updated at any time by someone with the authority to do so at the district level. We are fortunate in that our District 5 contact will do updates even on her personal time. To my knowledge the Districts are still supposed  to do updates on Tuesdays and Thursdays at a minimum.

I have no reason to doubt the ITG in our District or any areas that I ride in in Ontario. There is no doubt in my mind that the ITG is working better than it ever has.  If there is a problem with its reliability it is often due to an issue at the club and or district level. If it is a reoccurring problem then contact the club or District involved but remember that you are talking to a volunteer in most club cases at least. If it's your local club then maybe they could use your help with the reporting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The official process (which is the minimum standard for all districts) is that trail status must be updated every Monday, Wednesday, Friday.  Failure to update the ITG will result in all trails showing as Red-Closed. This is a pure Risk Management policy. If trail status cannot be confirmed by the club it is automatically deemed to be closed.   Districts are encouraged to update more frequently ( and I believe most do) especially at start/end of season when trail status is changing rapidly. As PLC noted above most if not all of the reporting relies on Club volunteers reporting on a timely basis.  This fact raises its own unique challenges in delivering a reliable product to the end user. 

as far as the actual process goes, for my district at least, clubs are required to report by email/text every Monday Wednesday and Friday morning. The ITG is updated as reports are received and it only takes a few minutes for the changes to be seen on the app. Like PLC states for D-5, our district administrator monitors email 24/7 and will update ITG virtually at anytime. It only takes a few minutes to update the database and can be done on a tablet/mobile device.  If the DA can’t be reached, there are 2 of us as back ups. 

for those that don’t like, use or trust the ITG, I would be interested to hear what the better alternative is that an be applied consistently across the province, from Kenora to Cornwall.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 1/5/2023 at 8:50 AM, Spiderman said:

100%

My father is 75 - he does not have a GPS or a phone lol.

I also do not own a GPS and have never even seen the app for the phone.

I can use my computer if I am at home, but that is about it.

On 1/5/2023 at 10:04 AM, Strong Farmer said:

Bottom line go to club face book page and double check. Many have updates on face book still, even though ofsc is trying to eliminate it. I always check face book pages for pictures and up dates on local real time conditions. 

So, at 72, I have run into another reason to quit snowmobiling. I am an "active sledder" with no wish to quit, but my wife wants me to quit to be "safe". In fairness to her, I have had a few mishaps, and my friends never like drawing straws to tell her what hospital I am in. 

I have a smart 'phone', only because it was handed 'up' by my son. I use it as an emergency phone. An 'app', to me, is still something to eat before the main meal is served. I hope that I can die without ever becoming a facebooker, but acknowledge that this gets tougher every week. I have a few GPS units, but haven't used one for sledding. I access the ITG from my home computer before I leave home to avoid riding on "closed" (red) trails. If signs are no longer used to identify suddenly closed trails, I will inevitably end up trespassing.

I realize that the "trespassing" being discussed here is different from my potential scenario, but am majorly uncomfortable with the idea that I may have to quit sledding because I choose to not embrace communications technology. An unanticipated dilemma for sure!!! 

• Like 10

22 hours ago, Baylaker said:

OFSC is trying to eliminate Facebook? Just wondering if you could maybe shed a bit of light on this? 

I hope this can be accomplished, along with other (anti) social (media). Really PO's me when they leave off the "media".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tricky said:

So, at 72, I have run into another reason to quit snowmobiling. I am an "active sledder" with no wish to quit, but my wife wants me to quit to be "safe". In fairness to her, I have had a few mishaps, and my friends never like drawing straws to tell her what hospital I am in. 

I have a smart 'phone', only because it was handed 'up' by my son. I use it as an emergency phone. An 'app', to me, is still something to eat before the main meal is served. I hope that I can die without ever becoming a facebooker, but acknowledge that this gets tougher every week. I have a few GPS units, but haven't used one for sledding. I access the ITG from my home computer before I leave home to avoid riding on "closed" (red) trails. If signs are no longer used to identify suddenly closed trails, I will inevitably end up trespassing.

I realize that the "trespassing" being discussed here is different from my potential scenario, but am majorly uncomfortable with the idea that I may have to quit sledding because I choose to not embrace communications technology. An unanticipated dilemma for sure!!! 

Kudo's to you for still riding and putting on the clicks you do :cheers: !

And  staying off technology is not a bad thing, if you can!

System is not perfect, but I think overall gets better with time for all involved. There will always be far more sensitive spots with a greater impact to riding down a "closed" trail vs. other spots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tricky said:

Good you haven't quit - and don't quit. Snowmobiling is safe. Nothing is without any risk.

My parents still print off mapquest paperwork if they are travelling somewhere new lol

I love it :)

• Like 1