Kapuskasing Jan 2023

ecarnell

keep us posted heading there next week thanks

Looks pretty good to me.

You're out riding - that's the important thing.

Looks like that crick would benefit from just a cpl skids.

25 minutes ago, ecarnell said:

If groomed and no trail closed sign - I’m riding on. I’m assuming either app is incorrect or waiting to be updated.

if I come upon a trail closed sign - I’ll get around section using 7s and gps to ditch bang , hydroline by pass , side roads,, ect.

Right or wrong , that’s the way we ride. 

Um, ok 👍..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ecarnell said:

If groomed and no trail closed sign - I’m riding on. I’m assuming either app is incorrect or waiting to be updated.

if I come upon a trail closed sign - I’ll get around section using 7s and gps to ditch bang , hydroline by pass , side roads,, ect.

Right or wrong , that’s the way we ride. 

Just so you are aware, I have been made aware that the OFSC no longer wants Trail Closed signs used by clubs. They have in the past and continue to advertise that the Interactive Trail Guide is the correct source to find trail status.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ecarnell said:

I have no idea how this will work in the south. The app is not always available / reception / and not always “correct “. 

up north with most of trails on crown land (?) little harder to enforce ?

tonight coming into kap from the south (L139) there were trail closed signs, trails were nicely groomed , but OFSC app said they were yellow? What would you like to follow?

D3CB0061-E1AD-43E1-BA4E-A6ACEAD7E98F.png

I didn't say that I agreed with the OFSC's position, only passing on what I was told and have seen the OFSC advertising. I do know that it is often tough getting volunteers to put Trail Closed signs up or taken down in a timely manner.

• Thanks 1

This has been discussed in great depth on many occasions with various scenarios. It is hard to always have a clear line drawn when a trail is closed or open, changes from open to closed or vise versa, especially in certain areas.

Could be land owner issue, unsafe water crossing, hazard that recently came to light due to a melt down or weather system, trail not signed off for signage, etc.... I am sure others can add to the list.

Is it reasonable to also only use a network data base for the trail updates if not all riders have the option to use a network all the time....I know there are ways around that most times and I think all or most understand why this path has been taken to update the system.

Ever wonder why you see fewer and fewer people posting pictures of their enjoyment of the sport we love....

• Like 1

Hey  BIG E   I am in your corner , keep on riding and posting pics. Ta hell with them .

• Like 1

Say what you want, do what you want, but imo, assuming a trail that has been groomed, is 'open' is not right. Again, these sections have been listed as closed since the start of the season, and have been worked on, I.E, grooming, brushing, signing etc, since the start of the season and since other sections have been listed as open. Again, imo it's not right, but ride on if its rigth in your head. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

15 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. 

You got that right .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

You cannot rely on the APP as the only source. Its wrong. 

100%

My father is 75 - he does not have a GPS or a phone lol.

I also do not own a GPS and have never even seen the app for the phone.

I can use my computer if I am at home, but that is about it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

100%

My father is 75 - he does not have a GPS or a phone lol.

I also do not own a GPS and have never even seen the app for the phone.

I can use my computer if I am at home, but that is about it.

Bottom line go to club face book page and double check. Many have updates on face book still, even though ofsc is trying to eliminate it. I always check face book pages for pictures and up dates on local real time conditions. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Bottom line go to club face book page and double check. Many have updates on face book still, even though ofsc is trying to eliminate it. I always check face book pages for pictures and up dates on local real time conditions. 

Yup, best source out there locally. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

OFSC is trying to eliminate Facebook? Just wondering if you could maybe shed a bit of light on this? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baylaker said:

OFSC is trying to eliminate Facebook? Just wondering if you could maybe shed a bit of light on this? 

I bet that the OFSC wants to make the ITG the only source for trail conditions as they have total control over what is being posted.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Mitigate liability to reduce insurance costs. 

lol, makes for a good story.

Absolutely AAA trails today .
So glad we changed up some plans.

sorry can’t post any pics.

Another 24 hrs up here then heading home.

Won’t be much more riding January for us - heading west to Revelstoke to ride in two weeks. Sorry no pics will be available.

have a great and safe season.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ecarnell said:

Absolutely AAA trails today .
So glad we changed up some plans.

sorry can’t post any pics.

Another 24 hrs up here then heading home.

Won’t be much more riding January for us - heading west to Revelstoke to ride in two weeks. Sorry no pics will be available.

have a great and safe season.

Great to hear - ride safe - POST PICS!

• Like 1