Gmc 2 step Tailgate.

2fast4u

Hey everyone just wondering for any of you that have a Gmc pickup with or without the 2 step tailgate. I'm now a proud owner of a 2022 Gmc 1500 at4 and I was wondering has anyone had a sled in the back with the sled with the sled resting on a closed Tailgate or the little part open and the sled resting on it.  The dealer says it should hold the weight, but these new tailgates seem like paper compared to the older trucks.  So just curious if anyone has had any issues?  Thanks in advance 

why not just leave the gate down? never understood why people want the sled tail high, resting on the tail gate. raising the trucks center of gravity, and the possibility for denting, twisting the gate. not to mention what will happen when the brakes are applied hard, or the truck hits a stout object, sending the sled cartwheeling ass over end, forward.

one suggestion to you is, to lube the heck out of all the hinges, motors, etc... that is what is going to make the multiple use gate fail and lock into "normal" position faster than anything.

congrats on the new truck. Ski

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

why not just leave the gate down? never understood why people want the sled tail high, resting on the tail gate. raising the trucks center of gravity, and the possibility for denting, twisting the gate. not to mention what will happen when the brakes are applied hard, or the truck hits a stout object, sending the sled cartwheeling ass over end, forward.

one suggestion to you is, to lube the heck out of all the hinges, motors, etc... that is what is going to make the multiple use gate fail and lock into "normal" position faster than anything.

congrats on the new truck. Ski

Thanks. Yea i have np leaving it down as i have done in the past which is what i prefer tbh. Sorry i should of elaborated more on my question.

What i noticed when i had the trailer hook onto the truck the other day the trailer was very close to the tailgate (open) when it was angled. Although it probably won't hit the truck still makes me nervous lol.  I already had to move the spare to another spot as it wanted to hit the gate when turning but i caught it before there was any damage.  

Thanks for the reply Ski.   

• Like 1

I think some will rest on the tailgate if they have a trailer in tow, depending on the trailer tongue length, could be a clearance issue.

Otherwise, I agree, tailgate down.

Sorry, no comment on the tailgate question - I imagine they are built to support some weight, I personally would not take the dealers word for fact though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stoney said:

I think some will rest on the tailgate if they have a trailer in tow, depending on the trailer tongue length, could be a clearance issue.

Otherwise, I agree, tailgate down.

Sorry, no comment on the tailgate question - I imagine they are built to support some weight, I personally would not take the dealers word for fact though. 

That is what i was thinking on the dealer as well lol.  Might just have to by a newer trailer then i have an excuse now lmao Thanks 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, 2fast4u said:

I've had 2 trucks with the 2 pce tailgate. Although I've never put a sled's rear end on it when closed I would be careful as the inner (smaller) tailgate will end up taking the load and repairing it would be spendy. With it laid out flat, shouldn't be an issue.

On a another topic, don't open the inner tailgate when you have a ball/ball mount installed as it will contact the tailgate right above the buttons/cameras and leave marks behind. 

17 hours ago, 2fast4u said:

• Thanks 1

I have never loaded a sled in any of my trucks with Multi Pro tailgate.  I think I would put a sheet of plywood to protect tailgate.  I have always wondered how strong the step part would be   And do not feel like having to replace the tailgate  

B and W hitches makes a ball mount specific for use with the GM tailgate step.   It is called tow and stow ball mount for use with GMC Multi Pro tailgate  

I was pretty happy with the one on my 2500 as I could leave the ball mount in and ball in place without the tailgate hitting the ball.  As I liked the one for my 2500 (2 1/2” shank) I decided to purchase for my 1500 with 2” shank.   

Unfortunately the tailgate will hit ball on the one for my 1500 when set at height.  But the ball mount could be left in place if you use tow and stow feature to store ball in flipped forward position   

On the newer models it is possible to lockout the tailgate step to prevent it being inadvertently opened and contacting a ball mount or trailer hitch  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sksman said:

I have never loaded a sled in any of my trucks with Multi Pro tailgate.  I think I would put a sheet of plywood to protect tailgate.  I have always wondered how strong the step part would be   And do not feel like having to replace the tailgate  

B and W hitches makes a ball mount specific for use with the GM tailgate step.   It is called tow and stow ball mount for use with GMC Multi Pro tailgate  

I was pretty happy with the one on my 2500 as I could leave the ball mount in and ball in place without the tailgate hitting the ball.  As I liked the one for my 2500 (2 1/2” shank) I decided to purchase for my 1500 with 2” shank.   

Unfortunately the tailgate will hit ball on the one for my 1500 when set at height.  But the ball mount could be left in place if you use tow and stow feature to store ball in flipped forward position   

On the newer models it is possible to lockout the tailgate step to prevent it being inadvertently opened and contacting a ball mount or trailer hitch  

Thanks for the info on the B and W.  I have the new version 2022 AT4, how do I lock out the inner tailgate/Step??

TIA,

Patrick.

On 1/3/2023 at 2:30 PM, 2fast4u said:

Hey everyone just wondering for any of you that have a Gmc pickup with or without the 2 step tailgate. I'm now a proud owner of a 2022 Gmc 1500 at4 and I was wondering has anyone had a sled in the back with the sled with the sled resting on a closed Tailgate or the little part open and the sled resting on it.  The dealer says it should hold the weight, but these new tailgates seem like paper compared to the older trucks.  So just curious if anyone has had any issues?  Thanks in advance 

Had one of the multi gates in the shop today, I specifically dropped the small section and left the big section up, then just leaned on the top, where you would place the track, suspension of the sled on for transport... the hinges were flexing badly, and I was not reefing on it by any means... no way I would put a 400lb plus sled on it, then drive.

In my opinion (yeah I know), you are asking for problems. your results may vary. Ski

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 2:30 PM, 2fast4u said:

The dealer says it should hold the weight,

If you don't mind me asking, who said this at the dealer? Was it the dealer principle or  Service/Warranty Manager? If not, no attention should be paid. Even if it was one of the ones I mentioned, I would want some guarantee in writing with a signature. JMHO

16 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If you don't mind me asking, who said this at the dealer? Was it the dealer principle or  Service/Warranty Manager? If not, no attention should be paid. Even if it was one of the ones I mentioned, I would want some guarantee in writing with a signature. JMHO

First it was the salesman and i was already thinking he didn't know. So I reached out to a mechanic that i know there he said he thought it should be fine but he wasn't 100% on it.  I thought he may know as he is a sledder as well.  But I'm going with what skidooboy said above and not even going to attempt trying it.  I already have the plywood ready to go.  Juat need snow now lol. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, skidooboy said:

Had one of the multi gates in the shop today, I specifically dropped the small section and left the big section up, then just leaned on the top, where you would place the track, suspension of the sled on for transport... the hinges were flexing badly, and I was not reefing on it by any means... no way I would put a 400lb plus sled on it, then drive.

In my opinion (yeah I know), you are asking for problems. your results may vary. Ski

Thanks for reply.  I think i will just stick with leaving it down and making some adjustments with my trailer.  I appreciate it thanks again.  Cheers 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2fast4u said:

Thanks for reply.  I think i will just stick with leaving it down and making some adjustments with my trailer.  I appreciate it thanks again.  Cheers 

You can buy a hitch extension at PA for pretty cheep.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, soupkids said:

You can buy a hitch extension at PA for pretty cheep.

Just be aware that the tailgate step will hit that hitch extension if step is opened with extension in.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2023 at 6:28 PM, Turbo Doo said:

I really liked that tailgate.  But being Mr. OCD, when I ordered my new truck this spring,  I removed that tailgate option, and went with the normal tailgate..

OCD? Like me?

Old Crochety and Decrepid? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, 2fast4u said:

Great idea thanks.  

Better check the weight rating on the extensions   The one pictured is rated as a class 2   3,500lbs max load.

How big of a trailer do you tow?

22 hours ago, Sksman said:

Better check the weight rating on the extensions   The one pictured is rated as a class 2   3,500lbs max load.

How big of a trailer do you tow?

Yea i will definitely keep an eye on the restrictions I was looking at the extension online and noticed what you are mentioning.  I tow a double place trailer your normal 101 by 11 open as my enclosed isn't really road worthy anymore.  Been looking for another enclosed a 3 to 4 bed but prices are still crazy for the most part so I'm trying to wait it out for a bit so I don't have to sell one of my kids to buy one lol.  

Thanks again for the heads up on the extension i appreciate it.