New Trailer Opinions

Spanky

I currently have a 2021 Triton XT10-101, and am looking to buy/order an enclosed trailer for next winter.  It will be kept long-term, and aluminum is preferred.  I'm open to opinions on torsion vs. leaf spring, but I don't want brakes and prefer single axle.  My number one priority is quality and longevity.  I've owned a couple Triton XT10-101's and have been happy with them.  

The enclosed ones I'm considering are:

TC Series - Triton Trailers (would like opinions on the benefits of the LR low-rider option)

Pro Starr Hybrid (Rear Ramp Door) 8.5′ Wide Snowmobile – Action Trailers

My understanding is that the inline (narrower) trailers are called hybrids?  I'm not familiar with the benefits to these, as they are more money, but would like to hear your thoughts.  The ones I've seen online are:

https://reinharttrailers.com/products/triton-tc-167/ 

Aluminum Pro Starr Bullitt Series (Rear Ramp Door) 7′ Wide Inline Hybrid Snowmobile – Action Trailers

I've also found this trailer from Beckner:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/373581100568029/permalink/835678371024964/?mibextid=6ojiHh

Any and all opinions and input welcome.

I have a TC118 (these are hybrids too), not the low boy one. 
It’s been a great trailer for me, no complaints other than having to replace the exterior plastic strip that cover the screws every few years that dry out - minor issue in grand scheme. 
if I were to do it again though, I’d likely buy the TC167 for a bit more length and less width….wider trailers don’t tow as well. 
Don’t think I’d want to get a trailer with brakes either for this purpose. 

• Like 1

From what I've read the narrower TC167 will be better on fuel than a TC118.  The low rider version of the TC118 was designed to combat this issue.  Getting the deck lower to the ground reduces the drag at the back of the trailer which means an easier pull that's better on gas (would have to go to auronautical school to understand it, but thats what they say).  The TC167 deck is already lower and is supposed to be better on fuel than either version of the TC118 as there is less surface area to the rear door.  You can go to ther other brands and get a lower roof height knock off version of the TC167.  This will be better on fuel again, but you are giving up headroom in the trailer which not everyone will like.  Lots of folks on here that own these that can comment more.  Good luck with the purchase.

• Like 1

My vote is definatley the TC167. Narrow enough you can see past it with regular mirrors, it’s low and tows great. 2 sleds go in easily and in a pinch I’ve had 3 in there. The only downside I see is the price on them has gone crazy over the last few years but if you can find a deal there a great trailer

• Like 1

This thread (I think it is in the Tech section.)also has some points, from when I was considering a new trailer; still am...

Go long and narrow. Very tricky towing if you can't see behind you clearly.

Pro Starr Hybrid Rear Ramp Trailers

• Like 1

TC167. Full stop not up for discussion. Light, easy to access interior. Not that long for parking . Well made.

Only problem I have with low height trailers is everyone once in a awhile you forget they are low and crack your skull off the roof walking in. This usually happens in the summer when you have had a few too many and you want to start up the 2 stroke at midnight just to listen to it and smell some exhaust....................well maybe thats just me.

• Like 3

Just curious why you dont want brakes?  Every couple of years you are better to replace baking plates, ( 4 bolts, 2 wires, easy to do) and I wouldnt do without them..

• Like 3

I own a TC167.    Great trailer.   I like the fact that I can see behind me without towing mirrors on my truck.  I wouldnt bother with brakes as I pull with an F150.   

• Like 3

We have the lowboy - tows/pulls nicely - very happy with it.

2 hours ago, scottyr said:

I own a TC167.    Great trailer.   I like the fact that I can see behind me without towing mirrors on my truck.  I wouldnt bother with brakes as I pull with an F150.   

1 sled?

2 hours ago, Dave K said:

Just curious why you dont want brakes?  Every couple of years you are better to replace baking plates, ( 4 bolts, 2 wires, easy to do) and I wouldnt do without them..

I have friends with larger V-nose sled/utility trailers, and they have to service them every year.  I've been present when they had to adjust them...no thanks. 

• Like 2

TC167, light and tows easily, not too big. Sounds like everyone that has one likes it. Great for two sleds and a third in a pinch. I store three sleds all summer and my clam fish hut too on a 2x4 shelf. You will need some thin paneling on the inside or risk denting it while working inside. Yes it’s 5 feet high inside but it’s not a camper! If I only had one sled that would still be the trailer I bought. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

TC167. Full stop not up for discussion. Light, easy to access interior. Not that long for parking . Well made.

Only problem I have with low height trailers is everyone once in a awhile you forget they are low and crack your skull off the roof walking in. This usually happens in the summer when you have had a few too many and you want to start up the 2 stroke at midnight just to listen to it and smell some exhaust....................well maybe thats just me.

Nope; IT HURT:S; lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave K said:

Can't agree more. Provided my tow vehicle had a 7 wire plug, I wouldn't own a trailer of any size without brakes. I run a number of tandem and single axle trailers for my business ranging from 3500lbs up to 14,000lbs and have brakes on every single wheel.

Brakes add ~5mins to the annual maintenance routine and safety inspections and need to be replaced every other set of tires. Cost is minimal but the control and balance they add is immeasurable.

All that being said I can't be of much help with these fancy sled trailers. I haul mine around in a dump trailer because I'm a run what you brung kind of guy, and I can't hide another new trailer from the wife.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dave K said:

I personally do not see or have seen the value in the last 15+ years of towing a couple sleds either in my old open 2-sled trailer or my current TC118 that gives a reason to have brakes on the sled trailer.

One more thing to service that I own - if there was a value, I would want them.

Now if the trailer was bigger and more weight, totally different story.

As hard as it can be, I try to simplify things where I can in life, more now than ever before.

I get the safety side of it, just do not see the justification with these trailers.

I have always towed with a truck too, either 1/2 or 3/4 - maybe if I used a lighter & smaller vehicle, I would have a different opinion.  

• Like 2

Doo you back the second one in?

2 hours ago, Ox said:

Doo you back the second one in?

No?    I do lift the rear end of the 1st sled over to wall side of the trailer though.   

• Like 1

The tc167 tows good and is easy to back up. At the toronto sled show there was some other brands with same style that had nice features and a better price tag. 

The Weberlane inline trailer looks like a good value.    

I got a killer deal on my TC167 but I would have taken a long hard look at the Weberlane otherwise. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stoney said:

I personally do not see or have seen the value in the last 15+ years of towing a couple sleds either in my old open 2-sled trailer or my current TC118 that gives a reason to have brakes on the sled trailer.

One more thing to service that I own - if there was a value, I would want them.

Now if the trailer was bigger and more weight, totally different story.

As hard as it can be, I try to simplify things where I can in life, more now than ever before.

I get the safety side of it, just do not see the justification with these trailers.

I have always towed with a truck too, either 1/2 or 3/4 - maybe if I used a lighter & smaller vehicle, I would have a different opinion.  

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve turned a lot of miles pulling trailer’s of all variations over the years, and maybe just the way I was taught and told, but for me,  if there’s more than one axle, I want want the brakes. Just nice to have the extra help if you find yourself in quick jam. 

I have a couple trailers at my disposal,  and having just a basic V-nose 6x12, makes it easy for me for just 2 sleds. Will it last forever? Nope  but at $7g brand new when I bought it a year ago, who cares. I oil spray it before winter, and it gets used every week in the summer for the kids race truck. For more sleds, we have an all aluminum 7x19? that we can get 4 in when needed 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zertrider said:

I have a couple trailers at my disposal,  and having just a basic V-nose 6x12, makes it easy for me for just 2 sleds. Will it last forever? Nope  but at $7g brand new when I bought it a year ago, who cares. I oil spray it before winter, and it gets used every week in the summer for the kids race truck. For more sleds, we have an all aluminum 7x19? that we can get 4 in when needed 

Ya   6 x 12 work type trailer would be a great option    Why spend the big bucks for the sled trailer  

6 hours ago, Zertrider said:

Hi. Sorry, I'm trying to figure out how you get two 136" tracked sleds in a 6x12? Jam one in the nose, slide the ass to one side, and you say there is enough room to get the 2nd skis and sled far enough in to close the door with only a 12' box? Really appreciate if you have a picture. $8K can easily be spent compared to $13K.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Gadgetman said:

Hi. Sorry, I'm trying to figure out how you get two 136" tracked sleds in a 6x12? Jam one in the nose, slide the ass to one side, and you say there is enough room to get the 2nd skis and sled far enough in to close the door with only a 12' box? Really appreciate if you have a picture. $8K can easily be spent compared to $13K.

Thanks

Drive the first in, slide rear end over, and back in the 2nd. Easily room for 2. Erased the picture that I did have on my phone, but easily fit my 137 Procross and a 129 Polaris or another Procross.