Seized torsion suspension

coolbane

43 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

All brands. Depends on trailer, number of axles, load and type of driving as well as age and mileage. 

My main sledding chum actually mixes the rubber for the lions share of the torsion axles in North America for most of the last 20 yrs.

He runs it for Dexter, and actually, their competition has been using such poor rubber mix, that Dexter has been selling the rubber to much of their competition for the last few years, just to try to save the good name of torsion axles. Not all have bought from them. I guess there is still a cpl of hold-outs yet.

They have been running +3M # / yr, and likely blew past that this year.

The RV slowdown JUST made it to his door this week.

He's excited that maybe he can git some riding in this winter.

Now the pressure is on me to get time as well....

10 hours ago, stoney said:

When I replaced my trailer tires recently on my trailer I noticed the one tire had uneven wear, cannot recall if it was the inside or outside, but by coincidence it was the same side of the trailer that I usually haul a single sled on.

So I now make a greater effort to alternate sides I tend to use that my sled goes on.

Me too!

9 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Rubber damage by dry rot, wear, or uneven wear rarely causes lack of lever movement unless it is so bad it is jammed into the outer axle tube

Your explanation of tire wear is right on the money. Best explanation I have seen yet!! 🙂

Don't underestimate the power of the common person, lol. Back before I started "Living the dream" by working for myself I was a Truck and Coach tech. The things we would see roll into the shop on a regular basis would frighten just about anyone off the roads for good.

15 hours ago, VicFish said:

Don't underestimate the power of the common person, lol. Back before I started "Living the dream" by working for myself I was a Truck and Coach tech. The things we would see roll into the shop on a regular basis would frighten just about anyone off the roads for good.

Been there done that. Trying to retire but the dumb questions just keep on coming!!! 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 8:02 PM, Dave K said:

If its a Triton trailer, you wll need a Triton axle.  Triton has there own specs, that will be a little different than others.  I replaced an axle on my trailer a few years ago, due to seized surge brakes, and went with electric, and the local trailer supply shop couldnt get me an axle the same.  I have a tandem, and was only replacing one axle with brakes, not both.

It is an Easton clamshell. Does anyone know if Easton have their own specs for axle or can I get one from Cerka or Princess Auto? I have not had a chance to measure the hub to hub and SC as yet because I'm still working to save the existing axle. 

Had a friend of mine break the axle on his sled trailer due to rotting apart, so I started paying closer attention to mine, it's a 2008 Triton clamshell. Axle itself was very rusty so I replaced it. Cheap insurance. Although finding a galvanized one was a challenge. The aluminum frame was rotted away due to the insulator between the axle and frame wearing away, so that needed some repair. This trailer has a ton of miles on it from several  trips from Pennsylvania to Cochrane, Quebec, etc. But I'm not planning on buying a new one. If it was me, if there's any doubt, if you're stuck on the side of the road with a broken trailer, $800 would seem like a bargain.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 8:13 PM, Ox said:

My main sledding chum actually mixes the rubber for the lions share of the torsion axles in North America for most of the last 20 yrs.

He runs it for Dexter, and actually, their competition has been using such poor rubber mix, that Dexter has been selling the rubber to much of their competition for the last few years, just to try to save the good name of torsion axles. Not all have bought from them. I guess there is still a cpl of hold-outs yet.

Like anything there are good parts, fair parts and pour parts. I wouldn’t buy an axle from princess auto. That’s just me though. Tires alone are worth a penny fortune now, so won’t get far if they go sqaure every few thousand miles from poor axle not staying true. 

Depending upon where you live and what highways you have to travel along but knowing my travels the last place I would want to be stuck sitting is on the shoulder of 401 or 400 anywhere near GTA due to a questionable axle or tire.  Especially with a 101” wide trailer!   My safety is worth way more then the price of an axle.  

Forget the tow costs and lost trip it’s if you survive waiting for it and hooking it up onto tow truck   

• Like 4

19 hours ago, coolbane said:

It is an Easton clamshell. Does anyone know if Easton have their own specs for axle or can I get one from Cerka or Princess Auto? I have not had a chance to measure the hub to hub and SC as yet because I'm still working to save the existing axle. 

Many torsion axle assemblies have a serial number plate/badge on the center of the axle under the trailer. That will tell the manufacturer of the axle the exact specs so you can get another identical axle. Also if they have that number, they can manufacture another axle for you with the same specs. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 9:29 PM, coolbane said:

Checking the clamshell trailer yesterday and find there is absolutely no movement in the swing arm of the torsion suspension. The arm seems to be seized solid in the axle. It is a Easton of about 2011 vintage.

Anyone come across this before and have a solution. A new axle assembly is about $800 so I'd rather not go there!!

I thought these torsion suspensions were supposed to be bulletproof and maintenance free😟

Hi .......... thought the same when I bought my previous single trailer but came to find out anything north of 10yrs is running on borrowed time. Bought new axle from a place out by you, bolted right in but did hurt the pocket book.  

Recently purchased a 16x7 Mission trailer to haul Ross n I around, yup back in the game again.

20220615_134643.jpg

20221129_112358.jpg

• Like 3

Knott Axle - Good Rubber?

Knott.JPG

On 12/10/2022 at 12:16 AM, Polaris1 said:

Had a friend of mine break the axle on his sled trailer due to rotting apart, so I started paying closer attention to mine, it's a 2008 Triton clamshell. Axle itself was very rusty so I replaced it. Cheap insurance. Although finding a galvanized one was a challenge. The aluminum frame was rotted away due to the insulator between the axle and frame wearing away, so that needed some repair. This trailer has a ton of miles on it from several  trips from Pennsylvania to Cochrane, Quebec, etc. But I'm not planning on buying a new one. If it was me, if there's any doubt, if you're stuck on the side of the road with a broken trailer, $800 would seem like a bargain.

So my 2004 Triton clam should get a new axle? I've been looking at it, beat it a bit with a hammer and it is holding out fairly well. That said, two new 900TR sitting on a 18 year old axle isn't my cautionary style. $800 is USD, so easily about $1100 CDN, if I can find one, plus the install.

All that said, you make some good points.

Thanks

11 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Knott.JPG

I have no clue.

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

That’s a good price is that Canadian too? My trailer is Leaf springs works just fine. 

No that us USD. However, I just bought a new Torsion axle for my Triton, from Rhinehart Trailer Sales, with parts\mounting kit, tax in CDN $762. Which ends up being much cheaper than the USD axle. Only bad side is I have to drive down to Inglewood from Ottawa to pick it up. Canada Shipping wanted $509 +tax to ship it. Oh well, our son comes home on leave Monday night, he and I can a good chat with 10 hrs in the SUV, there and back on Wednesday.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 8:50 AM, Gadgetman said:

So my 2004 Triton clam should get a new axle? I've been looking at it, beat it a bit with a hammer and it is holding out fairly well. That said, two new 900TR sitting on a 18 year old axle isn't my cautionary style. $800 is USD, so easily about $1100 CDN, if I can find one, plus the install.

All that said, you make some good points.

Thanks

If I hit it with a hammer ,it would dent. It was literally rusting away. I guess if yours doesn't dent and seems structurally sound then it would seem to be ok. They are very easy to change if you have a floor jack and a couple jackstands. Maybe some heat to heat up rusted nuts. In the overall picture, money spent on that is cheap compared to a new trailer. Cheers.

On 12/12/2022 at 9:35 PM, Gadgetman said:

Knott.JPG

Dexter is the benchmark, in the industry. food for thought. buy once, cry once. then protect with krown, fluid film, wool wax, or the new kid on the block in lanolin protection, Surface shield from PB Blaster. Ski

As the OP, some comments on how this story ended:

• I removed the old torsion axle (2010 vintage) from the Easton 101" wide clamshell trailer. The axle had an incredible amount of exterior rust but still seemed to be structurally sound. The torsion suspension rubber was not seized but it definitely was 2-3 times stiffer than the new axle (even though they had the same load rating). I guess it should not be surprising that the rubber suspension would loose some elastic after 12 years out in the elements. 
  • The rubber pad isolator which was originally installed to separate the steel axle from the aluminum frame rail did work fairly well to minimize electrolytic corrosion. The big failing was that Easton made no effort to prevent electrolytic corrosion where the steel nut/washer is at the top of frame rail. Two of the four washers at the top of frame rail had corroded completely through the aluminum frame rail. 
  • I purchased a new unused Dexter torsion axle on Marketplace ($400, lucky)
  • In future, I will make a point of washing the axle thoroughly at end of season and spray with Rustcheck. Torsion axles are not maintenance-free. 

• Like 2

Ox, does your buddy who mixed the rubber know what is the recommended service life of the rubber used in these suspensions? It would be interesting to know how the rubber properties change with time and exposure to the elements? Thanks. 

I wouldn't know that, and I doubt it.

I have three 7K axles under my gooseneck. It is >25yrs old now.

I haven't noticed any issues with it.

And it sits with a load on it most of the time.

Doesn't leave home very often anymore, but sometimes.

Again - if you are having troubles with rubber in those axles, more than likely it is not a Dexter axle, which is why Dexter has been trying to sell rubber to the other mfgr's, b/c apparently their junk was giving Torsion's a bad name.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

If anybody is looking to replace their trailer axles you should look at this. Its a marketplace ad from a trailer manufacturer located in part of the old Champion Road Grader plant in Goderich:

• Condition
    New
Unheard of prices on our overstock Dexter axles. 100's of axles available for sale. $575 or less. See list in photos for sizes and pricing. Call or text Brian 519_654_8403 Located in Goderich at Canadian Trailer Company - 160 Maitland Rd. S. (back of the old Volvo building) Enter off Britannia Rd. across from Car Wash

Dexter Axles.jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If anybody is looking to replace their trailer axles you should look at this. Its a marketplace ad from a trailer manufacturer located in part of the old Champion Road Grader plant in Goderich:

• Condition
    New
Unheard of prices on our overstock Dexter axles. 100's of axles available for sale. $575 or less. See list in photos for sizes and pricing. Call or text Brian 519_654_8403 Located in Goderich at Canadian Trailer Company - 160 Maitland Rd. S. (back of the old Volvo building) Enter off Britannia Rd. across from Car Wash

Dexter Axles.jpg

Maybe it’s a scammmer. Try buying an axle 😆

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Scammers don't usually leave a name, address and phone number where they can be found. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

The ad is from a legitimate trailer manufacturer as mentioned in the text if you read it. While not a large operation, I'm guessing the slow down in the economy may have hurt their sales and he's looking to free up some capital.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yep, most companies rather keep inventories low when year end time comes, especially items not moving….the deals are just not always well advertised nor will the product always leave their warehouse right away, but it’s no longer in the books.