Abitibi base camp

ZR1BANDIT

I say boycott them, I'm sure everyone here has done the canyon run at least 1x, no need to go back as far as I'm concerned.  other than the dam, it wasn't really a memorable trip to begin with.

• Like 1

Regardless of price or attitudes, im still running the east side up to the camp and back down the east side.  It is a must at least once a season, but lots of other great trails up there without visiting the canyon .. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, infernobuster said:

Regardless of price or attitudes, im still running the east side up to the camp and back down the east side. 

I've never run it that way. Always the loop. Good day trip out of Cochrane, I'd imagine, running east side both ways 

Am aware of the ' politics '. Haven't been up in years. 

Agreed on the east side being way nicer.    We generally do the full loop and then head south towards Timmins (when the C trail is open) and then over to Cochrane.    That makes for a full day and a nice ride.   

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 7:04 AM, Puggz said:

I say boycott them, I'm sure everyone here has done the canyon run at least 1x, no need to go back as far as I'm concerned.  other than the dam, it wasn't really a memorable trip to begin with.

They can charge what they want. Us sledders can choose if we need fuel or not. No one is forcing us to buy fuel there. Better make sure you have enough to get back to Cochrane either way. Sometimes smooth rock is out and you need fuel at top to make it thru the day. I am with inferno on this one. Ride top, fuel up if you need to and that’s it. We are all paying to have trail there so may as well ride it, if you can 😎.

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

They can charge what they want. Us sledders can choose if we need fuel or not. No one is forcing us to buy fuel there. Better make sure you have enough to get back to Cochrane either way. Sometimes smooth rock is out and you need fuel at top to make it thru the day. I am with inferno on this one. Ride top, fuel up if you need to and that’s it. We are all paying to have trail there so may as well ride it, if you can 😎.

This is what sticks in my craw, we the permit buyers pay for that trail to exist and be maintained throughout the season. These jerkoff clowns are gouging the hands that feed them to the point it's absolutely sickening. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Nutter said:

This is what sticks in my craw, we the permit buyers pay for that trail to exist and be maintained throughout the season. These jerkoff clowns are gouging the hands that feed them to the point it's absolutely sickening. 

Exactly!!

The odd thing is there seems to be a strong divide that are either for or against the “camp”….which is odd knowing most don’t like to be ripped off. 

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Exactly!!

The odd thing is there seems to be a strong divide that are either for or against the “camp”….which is odd knowing most don’t like to be ripped off. 

Not to sling mud but honestly from what I have read on social media most of their supporters are of the mouth breathing "I'm just gonna send it" crowd of riders lol 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Nutter said:

Not to sling mud but honestly from what I have read on social media most of their supporters are of the mouth breathing "I'm just gonna send it" crowd of riders lol 

I can’t wait for first few riders of season to report back. Going to be 7 bucks this year with a 70 minimum you think? 🤔

8 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I can’t wait for first few riders of season to report back. Going to be 7 bucks this year with a 70 minimum you think? 🤔

$8/ltr with a $80 minimum??  Doesn't matter, I'm not going anyways.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

I'd hate to fill up my Titan from empty up there.  53L tank size

Meh, what’s $300 bucks to you - besides supporting a good cause….just send it…lol

15 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

I'd hate to fill up my Titan from empty up there.  53L tank size

53 litres and pretty thirsty if running hard.

Mine was always the most expensive at the pumps    

38 minutes ago, stoney said:

She’s a plus sized sled!

That's for damn sure.  

40 minutes ago, Sksman said:

53 litres and pretty thirsty if running hard.

Mine was always the most expensive at the pumps    

First time filling it, my buddy was done filling his, paid and moved away from the pump, sat on his sled and stared at me wondering why I was still pumping gas in.  LOL

49 minutes ago, stoney said:

Meh, what’s $300 bucks to you - besides supporting a good cause….just send it…lol

Still Gonna Send It GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Apparently Joe the owner has sold Base Camp to someone?     Not sure of any details or the validity of this though?

• Like 1

Thanks for informing us. Interesting to see if / when it's sold how the new owners will interact with clubs, riders. It's been a few years - have met these owners, rode with an employee south on last ride out ( April)  . Youth was conscientious,  gas available until trail toggled to red. But recent reports (last couple of years ) troubling. 

I think that I followed 1/2 of that? :oops:

• Haha 1

This thread has been very negative toward the Base Camp.

My experience as a first time visitor in January was the guy was trying his best.  The fuel pump guy was there alone when we were there on a Thursday.  The inside lady / cook was on a supply run.   

In my mind we were treated with respect and gratitude   No attitude towards us.   There was no food inside for which he apologized greatly to us as he was only guy there but that’s life   We carried enough trail snacks that it wasn’t necessary.   He gave us free coffee   

I also notice positive posts from the Polar BearRiders thanking Steve I believe and Base Camp for taking good care of their groomer operator.

Is the new ownership having a positive impact?

Or has staff been made aware you can’t be Dick’s?  I get it’s probably stressful when there are 100 sleds all wanting fuel and 3/4 of the guys are bitching about price   

Either way it appears to be much better experience    yes gas is $5.00/ litre  (we spent $300 in our group of 6) but it’s expected so don’t complain   2 of our group were big mileage riders from Quebec and both said that was one of their favourite trails now.  

We will go again   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sksman said:

This thread has been very negative toward the Base Camp.

My experience as a first time visitor in January was the guy was trying his best.  The fuel pump guy was there alone when we were there on a Thursday.  The inside lady / cook was on a supply run.   

In my mind we were treated with respect and gratitude   No attitude towards us.   There was no food inside for which he apologized greatly to us as he was only guy there but that’s life   We carried enough trail snacks that it wasn’t necessary.   He gave us free coffee   

I also notice positive posts from the Polar BearRiders thanking Steve I believe and Base Camp for taking good care of their groomer operator.

Is the new ownership having a positive impact?

Or has staff been made aware you can’t be Dick’s?  I get it’s probably stressful when there are 100 sleds all wanting fuel and 3/4 of the guys are bitching about price   

Either way it appears to be much better experience    yes gas is $5.00/ litre  (we spent $300 in our group of 6) but it’s expected so don’t complain   2 of our group were big mileage riders from Quebec and both said that was one of their favourite trails now.  

We will go again   

Good to to hear the flip side!

Price of gas went down a buck a litre too!!!!

Was there still a min purchase to buy as well?

Maybe the criticism from last year has paid off, the loacl clubs and base camp worked out the differences of opinions or the new ownership is already in effect.

Either way, the loop and the base camp is a big part of that region and everyone benefits if all are working in harmony!

• Like 2