Jump to content

Abitibi base camp


ZR1BANDIT
 Share

Recommended Posts

Good question!

I would check base camp facebook page and PBR facebook page for info on that.

 

With what they are charging for gas (last year), if I were in the area, not sure I would make the run unless I was with someone that has not done it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have been doing that loop off and on for 20 years. The guys almost always want to ride the East side up, and then down the West side on our way to Hearst from Cochrane. Heck, I've even blown a piston on the West side just south of the camp (2 stroke), and I still do the loop. Last year Hydro was working the West side area and we were lucky that it had a dusting of snow the night before to give us something for the sliders. Normally, West side is smooth and quick.

HOWEVER, if we do it this year, I'm carrying my own fuel; all I will say about the fuel cost.

 

(And yes, the train track is still active - which can be a very rude surprise.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the way they act, I dont understand why anyone buys anything there. Ski

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My 1st and last time was last March. Up and back on the east side based on reports with issues on the west side. Brought my own fuel but it wasn't enough to fill the tank so I ended up topping it off @ $5/ltr. I'm sure the price will be up from last year.

I  hear a lot of complaining about the fuel price at base camp but lets face it, its a lot of work/expense for only a couple of months a year. They are not getting rich off this to be certain. Personally, I didn't find the ride all that exciting or interesting until you get to the dam. Sure, you have to do it at least once in your lifetime, if you keep going back, you know what you're in for.

 

Just my $0.02 worth.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best time I’ve ever had going there was years ago when we headed off trail north through the power lines. 
Made it pretty far and honestly wouldn’t do it again now - younger and crazier. 
But if that’s your happy place, it definitely has that going for you. 
 

I remember the hydro one workers heading out too, I’m thinking for training, not sure, but it was amazing how well those utility sleds they had worked over that terrain. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They did have a post on FB a while back looking for staff.   Something about the "manager is not returning this year"?  

 

I am sure it will be open in some form.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Puggz said:

I  hear a lot of complaining about the fuel price at base camp but lets face it, its a lot of work/expense for only a couple of months a year. They are not getting rich off this to be certain.

 they're not? 6 bux a litre last year... there is a maintained road going to them. it isnt like they are like halfway haven, and they have to maintain the road to base camp. if they were not making money, they wouldnt be open, and wouldnt be doing it. just my .02 Ski

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is a good loop up and back to the canyon , nice to get off the A trail on the weekends. Gas price yeah it's up there , but you can pay 6 bills for a liter of water at some locations. As for the staffs attitude doesn't bother me if the guy's is an A hole . Only interact with them for a few minutes then moving on . Not like I'm planning to buy real-estate and move in next door.   Just my 10 cents .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ZR1BANDIT said:

thanks for the info-----never rode the loop before and thought it would be a nice ride on way back to Hearst from Cochran

If you leave Hearst, to Cochrane via the Canyon, it is close to a 500Km (300mile) day, and depending on the temp and trail conditions, that can be a very long day. Alternatively, the loops north of Hearst are a very nice ride, much nicer than the West side of the canyon "piston ally" (because many 2 strokes have blown a piston there (me included)). Do the loops, pop back into Hearst for fuel and lunch, head to Cochrane and take the L123. Try this google search for a short video of my 2013 L123 video:

2013 L123 Kap to Opasatika

The reverse also applies. Cochrane to Hearst via L123, then spend a few hours up in the Hearst loops. If fuel is open in Opasatika, you can top up there, do the loops and then down to Hearst.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d actually be okay paying the premium for fuel to support that loop and business, and have several times, but some of the remarks I’ve read, heard and the general attitude from the owner/operator of base camp as of late is what has turned me away from my inclination to support them. 
Otherwise, as mentioned, it’s a nice ride to say you’ve done it, see the dam, canyon, explore off trail if that’s your cup of tea, etc…

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, coldfinger said:

It is a good loop up and back to the canyon , nice to get off the A trail on the weekends. Gas price yeah it's up there , but you can pay 6 bills for a liter of water at some locations. As for the staffs attitude doesn't bother me if the guy's is an A hole . Only interact with them for a few minutes then moving on . Not like I'm planning to buy real-estate and move in next door.   Just my 10 cents .

10 cents.  Wow are you generous LoL 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 cents plus inflation 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

If you leave Hearst, to Cochrane via the Canyon, it is close to a 500Km (300mile) day, and depending on the temp and trail conditions, that can be a very long day. Alternatively, the loops north of Hearst are a very nice ride, much nicer than the West side of the canyon "piston ally" (because many 2 strokes have blown a piston there (me included)). Do the loops, pop back into Hearst for fuel and lunch, head to Cochrane and take the L123. Try this google search for a short video of my 2013 L123 video:

2013 L123 Kap to Opasatika

The reverse also applies. Cochrane to Hearst via L123, then spend a few hours up in the Hearst loops. If fuel is open in Opasatika, you can top up there, do the loops and then down to Hearst.

 

that sounds like a great alternative to the canyon   thanks for the info-------------------

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2022 at 10:53 AM, ZR1BANDIT said:

thanks for the info-----never rode the loop before and thought it would be a nice ride on way back to Hearst from Cochran

Just be ware lots of long track sleds go up Cochrane east side to canyon on Friday, Saturday and sundays mostly. They tear it up pretty good. Long ride back to Cochrane if it’s moguled out. Loops around kap and Hearst are much more enjoyable then cold long canyon ride, for a hot dog as only stop available. 
My dad always said loop was invented to sell rooms and gas and food in Cochrane basically. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

like short track, or mid length tracks dont tear up the trails. broad brush. Ski

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

like short track, or mid length tracks dont tear up the trails. broad brush. Ski

I agree.  It all depends on squeezes the flipper, and how fast and hard they squeeze it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I have never understood how the longer tracks git blamed for moguls?

121" is a special length that doesn't doo damage?

But the same sled and motor with a longer track to disperse the weight and torque somehow builds whoppers?

 

My 3" paddle may throw chunks, but my 165" track isn't going to dig holes.

Especially when I can't go nearly as fast as the shorty's.

 

.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last year riding around/through Monts-Valin twice that was loaded with long tracks with large paddles since 90+% of the folks there are going off trail, the trail through it was in great shape, the next day, the trail closer to the villages was chopped out pretty bad with the groomer out......that area had also just received a fresh dumping of snow that night.

I am sure the groomer there goes out everyday - groomer is much bigger than around here, more along the size of the ones on the ski hills.

 

I DO NOT think the tracks or the sleds are the cause - it is the person pushing the throttle on sleds now a days that have tons of power and those long track sleds happen to have lower gear ratios, so when a person blips the gas, it really gets the tracking spinning fast quickly. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2022 at 6:25 PM, skidooboy said:

 they're not? 6 bux a litre last year... there is a maintained road going to them. it isnt like they are like halfway haven, and they have to maintain the road to base camp. if they were not making money, they wouldnt be open, and wouldnt be doing it. just my .02 Ski

Ahhh, agreed, but i said that they are "not getting rich" off it.  Of course they're making money and what's wrong with that? Of course, you can always choose not to go ;)

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/24/2022 at 7:37 PM, Puggz said:

Ahhh, agreed, but i said that they are "not getting rich" off it.  Of course they're making money and what's wrong with that? Of course, you can always choose not to go ;)

 

 

The thing that got me was the way the fella with a broken sled was treated, the interaction with the very people that support the business. Couple that with inconstant price for fuel, then putting a minimum charge for fuel. There is allot more to the scenario, including the way the Polar Bear Riders where treated. In short, they are not the type of people that are good for the sport. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bumped into the owner of the Base Camp at St Onge tonight.    I asked him what the plans were for this season and he said they were opening and walked away, basically blowing me off.   Thats ok.   I didnt really have much to say to the guy but I thought if someone was asking him about his business the guy might have at least had a bit of idle chit chat.    Pretty much just re-affirms that the guy is a goof.   

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I bumped into the owner of the Base Camp at St Onge tonight.    I asked him what the plans were for this season and he said they were opening and walked away, basically blowing me off.   Thats ok.   I didnt really have much to say to the guy but I thought if someone was asking him about his business the guy might have at least had a bit of idle chit chat.    Pretty much just re-affirms that the guy is a goof.   

Totally opposite what most that are passionate about the sport would do - guys and gals like to sled talk, either with complete strangers or people they know!

Yep, just speaks more volume about the air the clowns carry that operate it - sad the sport is associated with them.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wildman said:

The thing that got me was the way the fella with a broken sled was treated, the interaction with the very people that support the business. Couple that with inconstant price for fuel, then putting a minimum charge for fuel. There is allot more to the scenario, including the way the Polar Bear Riders where treated. In short, they are not the type of people that are good for the sport. 

There also was an issue with not having a place for the groomer operator to stay after they said they would have it for them.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...