Searchmont to Wawa

ZR1BANDIT

23 minutes ago, ZR1BANDIT said:

So with the closing of Halfway Haven (Again) is the trail from Searchmont to Wawa going to be groomed this season ?? 

Check out the Halfway Haven thread. That's where any available info has been posted this fall.

• Like 1

still in the planning stages. supposedly there is a plan but, I dont know how they are going to do it, and not bear the liability of people trying those distances with no fuel stop, no real services or shelter for over 150 miles. time will tell. I look forward to hearing about the plan. Ski

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

still in the planning stages. supposedly there is a plan but, I dont know how they are going to do it, and not bear the liability of people trying those distances with no fuel stop, no real services or shelter for over 150 miles. time will tell. I look forward to hearing about the plan. Ski

Not ontario, but there are trails in QC same distance with no fuel or shelter, and they make it work….so I’m sure it’s doable, just might not be doable to ride for some. 

• Like 2

"Use at your own bloody risk"

Isn't that what you agreed to when you bought your tag?

Actually, I just saw a new (to me) warm-up shack not far south of Halfway the other day. 

I guess that I don't recall exactly where it was now, but it seemed pretty close to me to bother having it.

I am pretty sure that it was on the hydro line somewhere, or at least in that stretch somewhere.

Maybe there will be a Garmin SPOT hanging by the door at Halfway.

"Pull chord if in deep schidt"

1 hour ago, ZR1BANDIT said:

Regardless if there is going to be a fuel stop or not, are they planning on grooming the distance from Wawa to Searchment ????

It's been done in other locations.  If they've posted about a lack of fuel and have a plan for the operators why not.  Most people pack fuel caddies.  This can work imo.

6 hours ago, ZR1BANDIT said:

Regardless if there is going to be a fuel stop or not, are they planning on grooming the distance from Wawa to Searchment ????

Algoma Snow Plan takes care of the Searchmount to HH section of the D trail. Below is a copy of a post that 1049 posted on October 28th.  I haven't read anything about the Wawa section of the D to HH or the Chapleau section of the C101D to the D.

We have recently been notified that Halfway Haven will not be open for the 2023 Snowmobile Season. Rest assure for riders that we have been planning over the summer and fall for this possibility and do not anticipate any impacto our trails at this time. We remain hopeful that Halfway Haven will be back in future seasons and value their partnership over the years. We will provide more information as we get closer to the season. This is from the Algoma Snow Plan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZR1BANDIT said:

yes. Ski

7 hours ago, signfan said:

It's been done in other locations.  If they've posted about a lack of fuel and have a plan for the operators why not.  Most people pack fuel caddies.  This can work imo.

most people carry 3 gallon caddy's. if a sled has a 10 gallon tank, and gets 10 or so mpgs, at 160-170 miles, they are going to need another 6 or 7 gallons to make that run (3-4 with a caddy). even if it gets more than 10 miles a gallon on good conditions, what is going to happen in bad? people are going to run out of fuel, and need to be rescued. that is going to happen this season. especially with some paper maps already floating around showing halfway open.

I feel more concerned and bad for the groomer operators. there will be no place to rest, or swap out drivers easily. there are lots of logistics to be over come here. Ski

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skidooboy said:

most people carry 3 gallon caddy's. if a sled has a 10 gallon tank, and gets 10 or so mpgs, at 160-170 miles, they are going to need another 6 or 7 gallons to make that run (3-4 with a caddy). even if it gets more than 10 miles a gallon on good conditions, what is going to happen in bad? people are going to run out of fuel, and need to be rescued. that is going to happen this season. especially with some paper maps already floating around showing halfway open.

I feel more concerned and bad for the groomer operators. there will be no place to rest, or swap out drivers easily. there are lots of logistics to be over come here. Ski

Hopefully smarter groups will have one of these with supplies. I have been eyeing one for farm. Look really neat. 

https://www.karyon.ca/karyon-xtreme-toboggan/

• Like 1

Post on F/B this morning with pics of rebuilt Wawa Sno Riders warm up shack on the D south in Berry Lake area.

Great job by the WSR crew on the new outhouse and refurbishing the old warmup shack 70 km down the D south towards the Sault/Chapleau.
Shout-out to Evolugen (Brookfield) Power here in Wawa for the donations that helped make this possible!
  • Like 3

That looks like the north one at Cross-over road, that is just slightly off the road and onto the entrance to the hydro. 

(as can be seen from the pic where the trucks are parked)

It's been there for >25 years, and no-one has even known that it has been there for the last 20 yrs as the trail dog legs around it now doo to a bad bridge just south of it. The smaller shack is at the bottom of the dog-leg at Bauparlante Rd (5-10 klicks N of Halfway) and then the trail buggers off the hydro N/NE up to Cross-Over and then doubles back, where there is this shack. 

This update, along with the new one south of Halfway that I mentioned earlier, must be part of their prep for no Halfway.

They must be gunna put a sign out on the road  to let folks know it's there?

This is right here, just east of the bottom of Tik Road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.7275684,-84.3139526,2000m/data=!3m1!1e3

I wonder if they will doo anything to the smaller one at Bauparlante Rd or not?

Just guessing that they are only aboot 15 klicks from each other via trail?

May be an image of 2 people, tree and outdoors

May be an image of 2 people, tree and outdoors

May be an image of indoor

• Like 2