Aubrey Falls / Black Creek Outfitters - 2022-2023

Dan-Senior

14 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

No fuel at Aubrey Falls Trading Post, however, fuel is available at Black Creek Outfitters, 1 mile south, along the the trail.

Trading post stopped selling fuel at road? They closed in winter I assume now too. Looked pretty dead last time I went thru but they made me a burger and still had fuel. That’s was 2018 I think. 

• Like 1

Aubrey Falls Trading Post - Flashback Video from 2015

Some video footage of Aubrey Falls Trading Post when the gas pumps were still in and operational.  On this trip, we ran the Domtar powerline over to Aubrey Falls Trading Post, then down to Dunlop Lodge and back.  It got pretty nippy that night.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Wakomata Wilderness

We were back on the Wakomata Wilderness for the first time this season.  A scenic way of getting to Black Creek Outfitters.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

Wakomata Wilderness

We were back on the Wakomata Wilderness for the first time this season.  A scenic way of getting to Black Creek Outfitters.

You guys sure do get out there. Thanks for letting us see your travels.

• Like 3

More snow there than I expected.

I take it that it gits thinner the further N you go?

It looked like Wawa / Dubre had lost most of what they had....

???

• 2 weeks later...

A sunny day at +3 as we took on a powerline route today north of Thessalon, Ontario.  This is the lower link of the Wakomata Wilderness run to Black Creek and Aubrey Falls.  An enjoyable day but too warm for February.

• Like 7

Those big rocks setting up on top back in there sure are something eh?

sexstone.jpg

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Ox said:

Those big rocks setting up on top back in there sure are something eh?

sexstone.jpg

You sure get around OX.  Great photo and thanks for sharing!  We were there yesterday.  Can't wait to go back.

"Got" would be more true.

That pic is >20 yrs ago (of my chum).

I think that there are a few like that just south of Manitouwage too?

I don't git out much these days.

Hoping to aggin one day tho...

Some Skidder Trail riding east of Wakomata Lake yesterday.  It was a great gym-workout.  Chad and the Long-Track did very well and broke trail.

mess.jpg

• Like 3

you gotta take me to the rocks some day. looks awesome. just a lot of landmines for much offtrail fun. nice that you made it to Tunnel Lake Trading Post. Ski

• Like 1

Its a pretty nifty place; a graveyard of boulders, some the size of cars.  There has to be 75 or 80 of them.  We rode right through the middle.

IMG_20230212_123422.jpg

IMG_20230212_123431.jpg

• Like 5

Kirkpatrick Lake

Known by many as Blue Lake, is well re-nowned in Algoma Country. Its been a few years since we've been up there. This time, we came in from a different route, from the west, which means less truck time and more saddle time.

jack pine lake powerline.png

Kirkpatrick 1200.jpg

• Like 2

Could use a tad more snow to hold that sidehill...

At least it`s on the RH side. (Downhill)

• Like 1

A Helmet-Cam shot of Chad riding in the Boulder Graveyard.  There's at least 75 or more boulders on both sides of the lake, 5 big ones, the rest are the size of small cars.

Boulder Graveyard.png

10 hours ago, Ox said:

Could use a tad more snow to hold that sidehill...

At least it`s on the RH side. (Downhill)

side hilling that will cost someone at least a pair of A Arms on one side, if not the whole shebang. need a lot more snow. LOL! ;) Ski

Have a question to ask for friends: If taking D201F northwest from highway 129 to the D Trail, is it currently possible to use the Ranger Lake Road detour to chop roughly 20 KM off the trip to Wawa. I know that is not very specific, but I also know that anyone who could answer the question, knows where and what I mean. My friends would appreciate some advice prior to Tuesday. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't expect the road to be ride-able at this point.

I would Shirley expect it to be all mud.

Normally - I would expect it to be OK, but it goes to dirt REAL quick when the sun comes out!

For a road that the atlas says "Closed in Winter", that road gits quite a bit of traffic!

Are you coming from F/106 I take it?

2 hours ago, tricky said:

Have a question to ask for friends: If taking D201F northwest from highway 129 to the D Trail, is it currently possible to use the Ranger Lake Road detour to chop roughly 20 KM off the trip to Wawa. I know that is not very specific, but I also know that anyone who could answer the question, knows where and what I mean. My friends would appreciate some advice prior to Tuesday. Thanks in advance.

Tricky,

Yes, normally there is a good base and you can run it from the Mississagi bridge to the Domtar road and it does save considerable time and distance.  The recent warm-up in the past few days may have taken some of that base away.  Here's a video on normal riding of the Ranger, taken last month. 

https://www.facebook.com/100000969085654/videos/1129706447746356/

Dan

Thanks OX and Dan. The friends that I have mentioned this option to are coming from Dunlop Lake on the F trail. I have used the short cut both, successfully (like Dan's video), and with brutal results (as Ox suggests is likely) in Marches past. Unfortunately there isn't as much snow forecast there in the next few days as there is in Sudbury thru to Mattawa along highway 17. Damned strange weather this year. 

Dan, how much snow did SSM lose in the past 2 days? What's left? I am hearing horror stories from Sudbury, North Bay and north to Timmins. The temperatures are cold enough next week, but where will there be snow?

It had been above freezing in this region since Saturday. We came up Tuesday, it was +10 in the soo. I cant speak for the soo but, Dubreuilville was plus 4-5c until about noon yesterday, with rain, and high winds. the road in town was soft and they have sanded so much, there are potholes of dirt on top of the asphalt. by 1 pm the temp was below freezing, by 5 pm it was almost -20c. right now it is -23c and everything flash froze. it was lightly snowing and blowing but, we didnt get an appreciable measured snow (basically a dusting). anything that was rutted, or had tracks will be very rough, and not much lube for sliders. Ranger lake road, is a heavily traveled road by autos, and haulers, it would have been heavily sanded. there would be no way, I would plan a route believing, I could utilize that road with what happened in the last 5 days.

It will take fresh snow, and the clubs to start working the trails again (remember, hundreds of miles of trails to fix) to get the trails back to semi decent. there is snow but, culverts, washouts, dirt, mud on trails will be a reality. towns will suck!!! this is late spring riding conditions, at this time. make your choices with that in mind. Personally I am here, with sleds in a heated garage... and I am not going to punish my equipment like that. some people will, you have to decide what you are willing to do, and live with. Ski

temp on sat at freezing mark, above freezing and mixed precip for sunday. no real snow in the forecast for the soo until next thursday. it isnt pretty out there but, sometimes you have to look at the reality of the situation. Ski

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/ontario/sault-ste-marie

Thanks ski, for the hard news. Might be better in the Sudbury area next week. At least they are supposed to get some snow in these next few days. Save Algoma until some more snow falls???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tricky said:

Thanks ski, for the hard news. Might be better in the Sudbury area next week. At least they are supposed to get some snow in these next few days. Save Algoma until some more snow falls???

Tricky,

We didn't get beat up that bad here in the Sault with the recent warm-up.  There's still plenty of snow along the routes north and east of the Sault.  Looking out my window in the front yard, where I am in the city, there's still 30" on front lawn.  North and east of city have alot more.  The snow-map is showing good snow-depth from Aubrey Falls to the Sault.  The Ranger Lake road might be icy.