Wheel Lock Clamps in Winter?

Candubrain

Because of all the trailer thefts I'm considering adding a wheel clamp lock or two.

Concerned how difficult they will be to removed in the winter or if folks have had issues with the key lock 

thanks

brian

I have wheel locks for my trailer.  And I carry a propane torch in my truck to thaw them.  Also a can of WD 40 to lubricate after heating.

• Like 2

if you have holes in the wheels, just buy a cable and lock. run it through a wheel or two, and around the frame/axle. it will keep the "honest people, honest" real thieves will do everything and anything to get what they really want. good luck, glad we dont have to deal with this, much anymore. Ski

• Like 1

Always try to park in such a way that it makes it hard to remove or steal trailer if I am parked in one spot for an extended period - back to back trailers or reversed against something.

Not always possible, so adding a lock is some nice added insurance or piece of mind.

Now how about those catalytic converters - how are you going to secure those....lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stoney said:

Always try to park in such a way that it makes it hard to remove or steal trailer if I am parked in one spot for an extended period - back to back trailers or reversed against something.

Not always possible, so adding a lock is some nice added insurance or piece of mind.

Now how about those catalytic converters - how are you going to secure those....lol

My uncle had his cut out inside parking garage. Total bill was 2400 dollars to replace it and repair damaged exhaust and to weld in a steel plate over new one. 

• Sad 1

I make a point out of parking beside  the guy with the shiny new truck and trailer.  Wrap a rusty chain trough the rims for appearance sake , leave the trailer unlocked . Take a pic for memory purpose,  Hit the trail and forget about it .

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, coldfinger said:

I make a point out of parking beside  the guy with the shiny new truck and trailer.  Wrap a rusty chain trough the rims for appearance sake , leave the trailer unlocked . Take a pic for memory purpose,  Hit the trail and forget about it .

Not sure but I thought I saw your work cap on a shiny new truck the other day 🤣:lmao:

thanks for all the suggestions.

I had thought of running a chain and padlock through the wheel rim to the frame, but after seeing and hearing how these guys operate they would not hesitate pulling a trail down the road with one wheel not turning.........they don't care.

My thoughts with the wheel chock type of lock is that if they didn't bother to remove it the wheel would hop as it rotated making a more difficult pull.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Candubrain said:

I had thought of running a chain and padlock through the wheel rim to the frame, but after seeing and hearing how these guys operate they would not hesitate pulling a trail down the road with one wheel not turning.........they don't care.

My thoughts with the wheel chock type of lock is that if they didn't bother to remove it the wheel would hop as it rotated making a more difficult pull.

Do you know how fast a battery operated grinder with cutting disk can zip through a padlock or chain? Or tounge lock?  Or cheap Chinese wheel locks?

I kind of regret selling my dads fifth wheel and truck.  It was great to use to block in my sled trailer.  Now the sled trailer will be alone on cottage driveway.  

Hopefully 4 wheel locks and tounge lock discourage thieves.  

1 hour ago, Candubrain said:

Check this ad out. I think they are what you are looking for.                      

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/1244174313102149/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

11 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Do you know how fast a battery operated grinder with cutting disk can zip through a padlock or chain? Or tounge lock?  Or cheap Chinese wheel locks?

I kind of regret selling my dads fifth wheel and truck.  It was great to use to block in my sled trailer.  Now the sled trailer will be alone on cottage driveway.  

Hopefully 4 wheel locks and tounge lock discourage thieves.  

Do you or have you considered a camera to view the trailer at cottage that will also act as a greater deterrent I would think?

Other cottagers perhaps in the area that can keep an eye on things too, whether it be unfamiliar cars or people in the area, etc....

A nice set of bolt cutters can also make quick work of most locking systems - sadly if the thieves want it, it is gone, but you can always make it a bit harder & longer for them to steal your stuff.

I’m still pondering putting a small orange laminated sign on the hitch stating “Apple air tag on trailer”

if I were a thief you’d think they would think twice , about stealing a trailer that can be tracked pretty easily? (And go onto the next trailer to steal instead ….)

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Do you or have you considered a camera to view the trailer at cottage that will also act as a greater deterrent I would think?

Other cottagers perhaps in the area that can keep an eye on things too, whether it be unfamiliar cars or people in the area, etc....

A nice set of bolt cutters can also make quick work of most locking systems - sadly if the thieves want it, it is gone, but you can always make it a bit harder & longer for them to steal your stuff.

Our neighbours are pretty good people and watch the place.  

cameras might come eventually.  

We love our Ring cameras at home.  But that’s because wife doesn’t want me gone without some added security. 

2 hours ago, ecarnell said:

I’m still pondering putting a small orange laminated sign on the hitch stating “Apple air tag on trailer”

if I were a thief you’d think they would think twice , about stealing a trailer that can be tracked pretty easily? (And go onto the next trailer to steal instead ….)

You are assuming all thieves can read and understand your message.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

You are assuming all thieves can read and understand your message.

LOL - or care when speed is of the essence to get in & get out.

I recall this topic last year, did these tags only work within a certain range of your smart phone too?

• Like 1

I'm hearing the police won't go to a tagged item if its on private property.....no search warrant.

Video evidence is no good for the police either.    You need positive identification (face) and they must show that person doing stealing or vandalizing. 

This is depressing to discuss......

6 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Check this ad out. I think they are what you are looking for.                      

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/1244174313102149/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

the link doesn't work for me

56 minutes ago, Candubrain said:

I'm guessing you don't have facebook as it is working for me. I will try to see if I can capture it off facebook.

I'm hearing the police won't go to a tagged item if its on private property.....no search warrant.

Video evidence is no good for the police either.    You need positive identification (face) and they must show that person doing stealing or vandalizing. 

This is depressing to discuss......

Finding it hard to believe video supplied to police isn’t helpful in them pursuing a lead….assuming video is useable quality. 
Otherwise, there are other avenues people can and will take with that same evidence. 

Its a Facebook Marketplace ad for to wheel locks that appear to be new. $35.00  each and located in the Bayfield / Grand Bend area. 

wheel lock.jpg

11 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Not sure but I thought I saw your work cap on a shiny new truck the other day 🤣:lmao:

Good eye V 2, that proves l do drive slow in the neighborhood  . Yes the new truck does have a shiny front end so my new strategy when long term parking will be to remove the starter relay under the hood. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Its a Facebook Marketplace ad for to wheel locks that appear to be new. $35.00  each and located in the Bayfield / Grand Bend area. 

wheel lock.jpg

Thank you