Any hard core trail riders wear "uninsulated" outerwear.

Puggz

I currently wear a Klim 2pce insulated suit and looking for a 2nd set and wondering about going non-insulated and layering.  My thinking is that during rides in more milder temps, the layering option may be the best. I'm a trail rider, never go off trail if that helps.

Thoughts??

P

14 minutes ago, Puggz said:

I currently wear a Klim 2pce insulated suit and looking for a 2nd set and wondering about going non-insulated and layering.  My thinking is that during rides in more milder temps, the layering option may be the best. I'm a trail rider, never go off trail if that helps.

Thoughts??

P

You could just open vents on regular jacket and less layers inside. If something happened during the day I hate to be caught out late with an un insulated jacket.
Some new technologies on ski wear side that jackets can respond to body heat and trap it when needed release it when not needed. Work very well. 

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

Thoughts??

P

I think @zoso also has gear like that. 

To each their own.  Unless we're talking plus 5 or more I figure use the vents when needed in my normal suit.  Can pull the layers off under it.  Above that (which is rare) pack the jacket and wear a good Hoodie.

6 minutes ago, signfan said:

To each their own.  Unless we're talking plus 5 or more I figure use the vents when needed in my normal suit.  Can pull the layers off under it.  Above that (which is rare) pack the jacket and wear a good Hoodie.

I am with ya - I just open vents, zippers or remove a layer of clothes, etc....

I find there are far fewer warm days  than cold days that I ride in - after all it is a winter sport....lol

Layering is the only way, for me. I cant stand to be in a puffy full on insulated coat/pants combo. thin base, mid, and another mid when really cold, under shells. Ski

3 hours ago, skidooboy said:

Layering is the only way, for me. I cant stand to be in a puffy full on insulated coat/pants combo. thin base, mid, and another mid when really cold, under shells. Ski

The newer coats with the colder ratings do not seem to be as puffy or heavy as the older ones, IMO - I bought a new FXR coat last year with a liner and floatation technology, surprising how light & loose it feels.

I still layer my clothes under it based on the temps of the day.

Sort of amused by this question, based on the age variety we have\had in our 5 or 6 person riding group over the last 24 years.

My philosophy is that it is easy to remove or open clothing that is with you, compared to put on something you don't have. We have saddled bagged a 1 week trip for 24 years, and a trip can go from rain to -38c, so I pack and wear the warmest and close to the best I can afford. 

Other point, how old are you? I'm now 65, and frig, -24c is cold for me, yet I've slept outside in a lean-too in -24c when I was in my 20's. My older brother would ask me what I planned on wearing the week, and then compare that to what his son was wearing on the trip, who is half half his age!

Back in the day, it was CHOKO, now I have close to the top FXR coat and pants. My warm weather bib pants are KLIM, Spring riding when daytime temps are -10c and warmer.

Below my coat, is about 3 layers, which enables me to easily adjust for temp at the start of the day, or even at lunch time. Disclaimer, I now wear a heated jacket and glove liner whenever I ride below -20c.

So, back to your question, try what works for you, but if tripping, keep your options open, inside layers pack easily. Only place I can think of for wearing uninsulated outer layer in Canada is BC.

• Like 3

On 10/16/2022 at 10:05 AM, Gadgetman said:

Sort of amused by this question, based on the age variety we have\had in our 5 or 6 person riding group over the last 24 years.

My philosophy is that it is easy to remove or open clothing that is with you, compared to put on something you don't have. We have saddled bagged a 1 week trip for 24 years, and a trip can go from rain to -38c, so I pack and wear the warmest and close to the best I can afford. 

Other point, how old are you? I'm now 65, and frig, -24c is cold for me, yet I've slept outside in a lean-too in -24c when I was in my 20's. My older brother would ask me what I planned on wearing the week, and then compare that to what his son was wearing on the trip, who is half half his age!

Back in the day, it was CHOKO, now I have close to the top FXR coat and pants. My warm weather bib pants are KLIM, Spring riding when daytime temps are -10c and warmer.

Below my coat, is about 3 layers, which enables me to easily adjust for temp at the start of the day, or even at lunch time. Disclaimer, I now wear a heated jacket and glove liner whenever I ride below -20c.

So, back to your question, try what works for you, but if tripping, keep your options open, inside layers pack easily. Only place I can think of for wearing uninsulated outer layer in Canada is BC.

Thank you, this is good information.  I'm going to be 60yrs old in December and yes, I understand how the cold treats me at this age.  Typically, I do not do any overnight trips but if I did, I'd ensure that I take the insulated suit w/ a base and mid layer.  What I'm asking about is a 2nd setup for the day trips when the temp is around -10, maybe -4 mid day.  I do quite a bit of riding in that temp range in March and other times when the temps yoyo but then again, what I do now is open all the vents and drop the mid layer.  Maybe I'm just experience the male version of hot flashes eh? I'm at that age... :-D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have 2 klim suits. One is a valdez jacket with free ride pant, non insulated, the other is insulated. The valdez is older, the insulated one season old. Layering is better imo, rode in that set up down to minus forty. Will not bother with insulated gear in future when I buy again. The suit is too warm at times.