2022/2023 Sledding Plans, Pictures, etc…

stoney

4 hours ago, Re:Leaf said:

^^^ sounds good. I heard a rumour that L125 might not open this season because of logging operations. Can anyone confirm this rumour? 

Re:Leaf, I think it's more than a rumour. I have heard from a reliable source that L125 is not expected to be open at any time this season, due to logging.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

No there is a    cool     windshield there. My neighbor has the same one   LoL 

You making fun of my windshield now.....lol

It really is not that bad, it is the 14 inch with the side deflectors that actually surprisingly works pretty good.

And besides, I blew my budget on my sledding extras on new shocks, a couple new LinQ bags and fuel caddy.....with out one mile on the actual snow yet.....lol 

2022 Rene-X - Avatar.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, stoney said:

It really is not that bad, it is the 14 inch with the side deflectors that actually surprisingly works pretty good.

And besides, I blew my budget on my sledding extras on new shocks, a couple new LinQ bags and fuel caddy.....with out one mile on the actual snow yet.....lol 

2022 Rene-X - Avatar.jpg

I have same one. Wind hits me square in the face with it.

13 hours ago, stoney said:

2022 Rene-X - Avatar.jpg

I feel your pain. No miles on mine. Accessories were last year. Same idea LINQ bag and fuel caddy     oh and a high windshield with mirrors  LoL. I traded my 2021 in and put the original brand new std windshield back on and now I have 2 medium and 1 high for the 2 sleds.   Still sitting in the garage Arg 

15 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

I feel your pain. No miles on mine. Still sitting in the garage Arg 

Time for guys and gals with new sleds to get them out. Bancroft to Barry's Bay or Pembroke to Mattawa beckon. Might be able to do 'Half a RAP' by next week. That's where i'm heading.

• Like 3

Don't want to hyjack the thread but to make a comment on the OFSC permit comments from the other thread    We were stopped last year ( first time in a LONG time in Ontario and or Quebec ) just past the old Club Echo clubhouse area by the OPP   I was at the back and there were sleds everywhere   When the Officer came to see me he didn't look or ask for any documents  he just looked and laughed at my luggage set up and said how much did all that cost Lol  saddle bag wrap around seat  14 litre gas can and 2 linq bags    Ya a bit over the top    I do carry shovel  bungee booster qick wiks  and misc tools in 1 linq bag    oh and I have to have running shoes too :icon_lolsign:

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

I have same one. Wind hits me square in the face with it.

I don’t recall that last year. 
My chest was the only area where I would feel the cold on the colder days occasionally, but adding another layer of clothes resolved that. 

7 minutes ago, stoney said:

I don’t recall that last year. 
My chest was the only area where I would feel the cold on the colder days occasionally, but adding another layer of clothes resolved that. 

I may have been ducking. But I rode it on Saturday morning at -12 for a km or so without a helmet. COLD!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Don't want to hyjack the thread but to make a comment on the OFSC permit comments from the other thread    We were stopped last year ( first time in a LONG time in Ontario and or Quebec ) just past the old Club Echo clubhouse area by the OPP   I was at the back and there were sleds everywhere   When the Officer came to see me he didn't look or ask for any documents  he just looked and laughed at my luggage set up and said how much did all that cost Lol  saddle bag wrap around seat  14 litre gas can and 2 linq bags    Ya a bit over the top    I do carry shovel  bungee booster qick wiks  and misc tools in 1 linq bag    oh and I have to have running shoes too :icon_lolsign:

Checkpoint stories vary quite a bit. It is good to see officers using discretion on the trails for these.
When you actually think of the money spent on these things, it is kind of crazy and can be comical….I try not too of course. 
I mentioned “budget” earlier, but  I don’t really have one, buy what I need kind of guy that makes sense … there are cheaper options I think, but since buying my first Doo last year, the LinQ system is really a great system, overpriced for sure, but from all accounts that I’ve seen, resale on these parts is pretty good. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

When you start looking at a new sled what you have invested in accessories certainly plays into the equation.  

Was looking at Polaris. Can get the adaptor plates to run linq accessories on it. But then come to find out the Polaris 2 up accessory seat takes up a space for a linq bag in the back.  Add to that you now have to mount the Polaris lock and ride connector to the tunnel and all of a sudden it means all new Polaris accessories to make it work.  Makes you go back and reconsider the ski doo again where everything you have still works.

Today was my first ride of the year and getting a chance to see how my new Elka shocks felt, I must say, they work really nice.

It has been about 10 months since my last ride, so of course it felt good regardless, but the shocks work way better for soaking up the bumps in the front end, with the lower ride height and dual rate springs, cornering is flatter for sure (not that I did not like my sled in this category before) and with a few turns of the clickers, it really changes the bite in the front.

The new torsion springs out back are quite a bit different than the stock ones - started at position 1 since it felt very firm in the garage, but after some miles, I moved to 2 since the firmness had subsided...overall, that upgrade felt good too.

No comment on the low RPM update ski-doo released that I had done - no "safe" lakes to run and open her up on.

As usual, it seems the poor or inexperienced riders rear their ugly heads just after lunch too...lol!

I posted a few pictures in the Haliburton thread, so won't repeat them.....all and all, good day in the forest.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, stoney said:

No comment on the low RPM update ski-doo released that I had done 

What is this update ?  I havent heard of it        BTW your sled new last year didnt have the security key working prob   Any update  

23 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

What is this update ?  I havent heard of it        BTW your sled new last year didnt have the security key working prob   Any update  

There is an update to correct the 900R engines not achieving full RPM, mine will be updated when I take it in to get the DESS cap installed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, oldslowsledder said:

There is an update to correct the 900R engines not achieving full RPM, mine will be updated when I take it in to get the DESS cap installed.

Ah   I thought I read something about that about  2022 models ?    something to do with BRP not wanting them to blow up with the supply chain issues   And I remember hearing that the updates would be done with the DESS update            Edit    after I  reread what Stoney wrote    initially  I thought the update was about RPM at a low speed and there was a problem there      Duh 

Ya, there are two updates for the 2022 900's.

One is the working DESS post of course.

The other was low max RPM, some sleds were not reaching the 8000/8100 max rpm all the time or consistently.

Mine was inconsistent so I did the optional update, it would hit the mark and than some times it would not (makes no sense of course).

The update was two pieces, first is relearning the throttle positioning sensor (TPS) and making sure throttle cable is adjusted properly since when you had the throttle pinned, you were not getting 100% open on the throttle body itself and the second was a stiffer primary spring to raise the max RPM as well (same engagement rpm).

I personally think the spring update was a "just in case measure" in case people still had low rpm issue afterwards. From what I have read, some people are now over revving with the new spring. I originally asked my dealer to not do the spring update and just the TPS update, but changed my mind and asked for the new spring.  

Sled felt great from a power perspective, but hard to tell if better since it has been so long since I rode it.

• Thanks 1

We made a snap decision and are going to Mont Laurier on Sunday.    Saddlebagging it for 4-5 nights.    My buddys and my wife are in Costa Rica until Sunday am so as long as we are back to pick them up at YYZ are good to go.   

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, scottyr said:

We made a snap decision and are going to Mont Laurier on Sunday.    Saddlebagging it for 4-5 nights.    My buddys and my wife are in Costa Rica until Sunday am so as long as we are back to pick them up at YYZ are good to go.   

Any issues booking lodging this late?

a couple places I called were full so had to go with plan B. 

And enjoy!

7 hours ago, stoney said:

Any issues booking lodging this late?

a couple places I called were full so had to go with plan B. 

And enjoy!

We got rooms no problem but I was a bit shocked at the pricing.  

38 minutes ago, signfan said:

It's definitely went up.  What are you finding?  $180 a night with meals included?

We spend 3 nights at Mekoos last week.

$190.00 pp breakfast and dinner

Believe Rabaska is $179.00 pp now

Gets expensive especially if travelling as a couple. 

Yeah in the Mont Laurier area they all seem to be working together to keep the rates high. It's the tourism tax that really bugs me. I get it for some of these lodges where they are maintaining 80 km of plowed road just to be open. Higher rates are justified. For others it seems a little much. I guess the flip side is they aren't closing due to lack of staff like you see in other areas.  Riding single it's not that big of a hit.  With the wife it does add up in a hurry.  A three day $1500 trip is now $2500 by the time we buy permits, fuel food and lodging.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Fuse6 said:

We spend 3 nights at Mekoos last week.

$190.00 pp breakfast and dinner

Believe Rabaska is $179.00 pp now

Gets expensive especially if travelling as a couple. 

1 minute ago, signfan said:

Yeah in the Mont Laurier area they all seem to be working together to keep the rates high. It's the tourism tax that really bugs me. I get it for some of these lodges where they are maintaining 80 km of plowed road just to be open. Higher rates are justified. For others it seems a little much. I guess the flip side is they aren't closing due to lack of staff like you see in other areas.  Riding single it's not that big of a hit.  With the wife it does add up in a hurry.  A three day $1500 trip is now $2500 by the time we buy permits, fuel food and lodging.

Yup adds up quick now. Rooms in north and Quebec use to be cheap. Mount Laurier has skiing too so that area is similar to blue mountains for rates. 
Lots of these places only have 2 seasons to make money. Summer and winter. So they Jack up rates because they can. You and I would do the same in thier shoes. 
Hoping to go to Cochrane area for March break if I can find a few people to ride with 😎

15 hours ago, scottyr said:

We got rooms no problem but I was a bit shocked at the pricing.  

I think the hotel type places I booked were between 130 and 155 per night, just rooms. The lodges / camps locations were more.

Getting hit from all ends

sled prices

gas prices

accommodation prices

Restaurant prices