2022/2023 Sledding Plans, Pictures, etc…

stoney

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

You could take 1-2 4 litre windshield washer jug of gas with you and dump it in when the gas gets down a bit. That way it doesn't have to be an inconvenience too long and gives you the piece of mind. 

Honestly, if push came to shove I think I would just buy the fuel caddy - I can add to my sled I think fairly easy, might need two based on the adventure bag I have though.

The other guys would need to consider something too.

But knowing the fuel was open before, not sure for how many years though, and it only closed when Covid started - I am thinking they will return to offering it?!?!?

Looking at the trail map, I assume the fuel was offered right where the trail passes through there yard???

FCMQ_ 2021-22 Snowmobile Map.pdf

22 minutes ago, stoney said:

Honestly, if push came to shove I think I would just buy the fuel caddy - I can add to my sled I think fairly easy, might need two based on the adventure bag I have though.

The other guys would need to consider something too.

But knowing the fuel was open before, not sure for how many years though, and it only closed when Covid started - I am thinking they will return to offering it?!?!?

Looking at the trail map, I assume the fuel was offered right where the trail passes through there yard???

FCMQ_ 2021-22 Snowmobile Map.pdf 1.23 MB · 1 download

There was a large building with a Cafeteria out at the front of the operation and the fuel pump was just beside it. You had to go into the cafeteria building to pay cash for the fuel the last time we were there.

Now that I look a bit closer  maybe there was no fence  :icon_lolsign:    and I kinda remember a building to the left of the pump   I remember our leader went over there first and no one was there    I thought he said it was bunks for the workers     anyway after a couple rounds behind the pump he found the attendant 

On 9/29/2022 at 7:36 AM, Strong Farmer said:

Think I just go to Cochrane for three or four days and rent this winter, if I can find someone to ride with. Try one of those new Polaris matrix sleds if they are allowed to rent them. 

I'll likely be heading up there with Snowowl in early March. We prefer week days.  This year I'd like to ride to Hearst from Cochrane and stay for 2 nights and then back to Cochrane .  Apparently the local trails around Hearst are the best of the northern corridor.

I'll keep you in mind if you're interested.

• Like 1

Rented an Air BnB at this location for 8 days over the new year weekend. Did the same last year and we were really impressed with the conditions.  Not shown but there's a trail that goes right down the middle of the lake.

Lac Taureau.png

• Like 2

On 11/2/2022 at 10:48 PM, stoney said:

Anyone happen to know yet if I think it was the mill along QC trail 93 (hwy 167) between Chiboug and Lake Saint-Jean area will be selling gas this year?

@PISTON LAKE CRUISER perhaps you know???

Just read an update on QR from 12 hours ago by Iceman who lives in Quebec regarding fuel  availability at the mill on 93 between Chibougamau and La Dore. He posted:

NO GAS at Scierie 54 

Mill shut down 

no forestry ops using this mill. At this time. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Just read an update on QR from 12 hours ago by Iceman who lives in Quebec regarding fuel  availability at the mill on 93 between Chibougamau and La Dore. He posted:

NO GAS at Scierie 54 

Mill shut down 

no forestry ops using this mill. At this time. 

Thanks PLC for the update, greatly appreciated 👍.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the boy new helmet/goggles, jacket, gloves, clava and boots yesterday.

He was pretty pumped when he saw a few vehicles in the parking lot with snow on them.

Praying for cold/snow for christmas new years as his hockey is on a mandatory shut down the week in between - would be nice to get some riding in.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Got the boy new helmet/goggles, jacket, gloves, clava and boots yesterday.

He was pretty pumped when he saw a few vehicles in the parking lot with snow on them.

Praying for cold/snow for christmas new years as his hockey is on a mandatory shut down the week in between - would be nice to get some riding in.

Exciting yet anxious time of year. 
I guess the question is how far are you willing to possibly go and ride that time of year!

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Exciting yet anxious time of year. 
I guess the question is how far are you willing to possibly go and ride that time of year!

We'll see how things shape up over the next couple of weeks.

Willing to travel for sure - we're ready to go

5 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

We'll see how things shape up over the next couple of weeks.

Willing to travel for sure - we're ready to go

It really is a tough call around Christmas on possible riding options - we will see how things play out.

At least the weather is starting to go in the right direction.

12 hours ago, stoney said:

It really is a tough call around Christmas on possible riding options - we will see how things play out.

At least the weather is starting to go in the right direction.

We use to see minus 15 C this time of year and minus 2 to 3 during the day. Now lucky if we get a few snow flakes in November. Last few years haven’t needed big snow blower until middle of January. It take another month to drive in some frost with current weather patterns. 

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

We use to see minus 15 C this time of year and minus 2 to 3 during the day. Now lucky if we get a few snow flakes in November. Last few years haven’t needed big snow blower until middle of January. It take another month to drive in some frost with current weather patterns. 

Yes our winters are a far cry from what they once were - just means you better count the days you have available to ride and take advantage of them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stoney said:

Yes our winters are a far cry from what they once were - just means you better count the days you have available to ride and take advantage of them. 

Thankfully JT will rescue us all and restore winter with his climate initiatives :)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Thankfully JT will rescue us all and restore winter with his climate initiatives :)

Or perhaps make it so no one has spare money to spend on these extra curricular activities.....lol

15 hours ago, stoney said:

Or perhaps make it so no one has spare money to spend on these extra curricular activities.....lol

I am sure that has come across the desk too :)

Anyway, I'm happy to have kids who enjoy the outdoors and doing so with motorsports.

It's fun

Life needs to be fun

• Like 5

Since it's cold out today, the boy wanted to test out the new coat, helmet and goggles for "warmth".

Says its perfect- no drafts -toasty warm.

Sled Gear.jpeg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a current list of Snowmobile rental locations in Northeastern Ontario as published by Northern Ontario Travel on their F/B site:

Northeastern Ontario Snowmobile & Gear Rentals 

• Temiskaming Power Sports, Temiskaming Shores, ON
    A full line dealer for Arctic Cat, Textron Off Road, Evinrude, Mercury, Red Max and Alumacraft boats. They provide parts, accessories and repairs on all makes of snowmobiles, ATVs and more. You can also rent Sea-Doos, ATVs or snowmobiles (including a 2019 Arctic Cat ZR 7000 starting at $350/day). 
  • Speedy Snowmobile Rentals, Kirkland Lake, ON
    Their service is snowmobile rentals, heated overnight storage, and breakdown retrieval. Offering full-feature snowmobile rental packages on current models, at competitive prices. 
  • Work 'N' Play, Haileybury, ON
    Dealer for new and used ATVs, boats, pontoons, snowmobiles, motorcycles, trailers and more. They offer rental packages that range from 1 to 7 days, starting at $350 (including your trail pass and unlimited km). If you need to rent a helmet or snowsuit, they can help you with that, too.
  • Cochrane Snowmobile Rentals, Cochrane, ON
    Cochrane is a place where snowmobilers go to put on serious miles. Situated closely to the OFSC trails, Cochrane Snowmobile Rentals understands you may need a rental to enjoy the snow and will get you equipped with everything you'll need to hit the trails! Open Sun - Sat 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
  • Horwood Lake Lodge, Timmins, ON
    Offers both American Plan and Housekeeping Plan accommodations on beautiful Horwood Lake. Their snowmobiling is tied into a fantastic network consisting of over 600 km of old roads and trails, which run through some great untouched wilderness. You will find an abundance of boondocking opportunities. Just bring your sled and warm gear and they will take care of your cottages, meals and gasoline.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Dunlop Lake Lodge - March 10-11-12th

Keeping the Post on track, I'll be in Elliot Lake for 3 days for some regional riding.  I'm not much of a long-distance traveler as I love to poke around in the bush and do some Cross Country riding from one lake to the next.  Dunlop Lake Lodge in Elliot Lake is a great place to stay and stage from.  I can do a 16 lake run in an afternoon and be back at the lodge for a few beverages and an evening dinner with social.  May see some of you there.

dunlop lodge.jpg

• Like 5

Picked up my Titan yesterday from the dealer.  Spent a month in there getting a new chaincase seal, driveshaft and the recall.  Ready to go for the season now.  Just need some cold and snow.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Not a sledding picture but a beautiful cold winter morning picture instead!

ADFC0549-D7E7-4CF0-B34B-FBEB3F65640A.jpeg

That just looks like winter to me. 

Great shot.

• 3 weeks later...

I was at Raven lake today and some crazy cottagers are making the trek across the lake to their winter havens.....wee bit of slush, and perhaps ice too....

Nice new docks there now for the WAO folks.

I was surprised that the parking lot was hardly plowed, hopefully that changes or parking there will be at a huge premium this winter - I always wondered who plowed that lot, used to be a grader parked in it all the time, but not the last few years. 

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

• Sad 1