2022/2023 Sledding Plans, Pictures, etc…

stoney

11 hours ago, Yamatario said:

We booked our Moosonee trip with Mylene at Follow her North On February 20-22, 2023. Getting excited! We did our last one in 2012 out of Cochrane.

https://www.followhernorth.com/snowmobile-trips

Nice! I would LOVE to do this. Get Marc to guide us from Dub to Hearst cross country, then Mylene the rest of the way to Moosonee. all cross country. I dont know him well enough to ask, though. Ski 

• Like 2

We’ve booked our New Brunswick trip with these guys. 
if anyone is interested still have a couple spots available starting on march 5th

FE6716DF-C2B3-4844-82F3-D4F71514D5A1.png

• Like 5

Nothing booked yet - but my son and I spent some time looking at the map now that it is up.

He is 12 - he's finding it pretty interesting seeing where all the trails are in our very large province.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nunz said:

if anyone is interested still have a couple spots available starting on march 5th

Nunz you riding the week of Feb. 26 or March 5th.

We are travelling to Edmunston on the 25th. First say riding the 26th

38 minutes ago, Fuse6 said:

Nunz you riding the week of Feb. 26 or March 5th.

We are travelling to Edmunston on the 25th. First say riding the 26th

We will be a week after you, We will be there on March 4th and start our ride on March 6th with them.

• Like 1

I am curious, seeing as most here are seasoned riders, what is the advantage of booking with a tour company, like the one in NB?

I understand the need of course for say a trip to Moosonee given its location & terrain or a trip out West in the mountains.

I'd say the same as either going on your own when touring a new place or town or taking the guided tour. Some don't want to look up info, figure out how to get there.

We did NB a few years ago, had a guy on the trip that lives there half the year, he knew all the stops, where and when to get fuel, which trails were "nice" and which mountains made you squirm going down. 

Really up to what that person wants out of a trip.

20170226_151412.jpg

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, stoney said:

I am curious, seeing as most here are seasoned riders, what is the advantage of booking with a tour company, like the one in NB?

I understand the need of course for say a trip to Moosonee given its location & terrain or a trip out West in the mountains.

The deal breaker was the chase vehicle and not having to carry saddlebags, oil, etc on the sleds for the week and tbh, I just dont have the time to try and plan everything this year and hope we got it right as far as destinations etc etc.  For the extra few bucks we felt it was worth it 100%, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nunz said:

I like the idea of a planned trip in an unknown area. Love to go but price based on double occupancy. I would need to find another rider to come along.

12 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

I like the idea of a planned trip in an unknown area. Love to go but price based on double occupancy. I would need to find another rider to come along.

Single supplement is an extra 500 bucks, let me know if you are interested

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nunz said:

The deal breaker was the chase vehicle and not having to carry saddlebags, oil, etc on the sleds for the week and tbh, I just dont have the time to try and plan everything this year and hope we got it right as far as destinations etc etc.  For the extra few bucks we felt it was worth it 100%, 

You mean deal maker :)

The chaser would be nice for sure to make your travels easier. 
Planning makes sense, or I guess not having too. 
Planning a NB trip this year myself since my brother moved there a year ago and he now has one year of riding in this area under his belt, which by all accounts sounds like a great riding area….seems to be a lot of older sleds there on the trails vs. the amount of new iron you see around our backyard. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stoney said:

You mean deal maker :)

The chaser would be nice for sure to make your travels easier. 
Planning makes sense, or I guess not having too. 
Planning a NB trip this year myself since my brother moved there a year ago and he now has one year of riding in this area under his belt, which by all accounts sounds like a great riding area….seems to be a lot of older sleds there on the trails vs. the amount of new iron you see around our backyard. 

Because they don't get as cold during the winter. :-)

We delt with 2 days of rain. Found out the hard way that my old Choko jacket wasn't rain-proof. :-(

NO more Choko jacket.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Because they don't get as cold during the winter. :-)

We delt with 2 days of rain. Found out the hard way that my old Choko jacket wasn't rain-proof. :-(

NO more Choko jacket.

I noticed that last year as well based on my brothers reports - tons of snow one week and than rain and major thaw the next week.

Actually caused an accident for him and his neighbour when the trails had a wash out from the rain and thaw on a trail they just rode that was in great shape.

Ontario is not the only place with drastic swings during our winter wonderland season.

• Like 1

Note I have some trip videos on the tube from the 2017 NB trip. Look up Apexltx56, on the u tube and they should be grouped by NB 2017. Gives you a general idea.

The green Cat guy is the local guy.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

Note I have some trip videos on the tube from the 2017 NB trip. Look up Apexltx56, on the u tube and they should be grouped by NB 2017. Gives you a general idea.

The green Cat guy is the local guy.

Just checked the videos out of NB and a few others.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ApexLTX56/videos

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stoney said:

Anyone happen to know yet if I think it was the mill along QC trail 93 (hwy 167) between Chiboug and Lake Saint-Jean area will be selling gas this year?

@PISTON LAKE CRUISER perhaps you know???

I read discussion about it on QR a couple of weeks ago. No one seemed to know for certain, just a lot of speculation.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stoney said:

Anyone happen to know yet if I think it was the mill along QC trail 93 (hwy 167) between Chiboug and Lake Saint-Jean area will be selling gas this year?

@PISTON LAKE CRUISER perhaps you know???

Why I'm using the 83 on the trip to Saint Prime (Lake Saint Jean), end of Feb. With the stackable Linq fuel (14l), I figure we can do the 239KM on the 93, but that is on perfect riding trails, the min you have to push snow, not likely to make it.

49 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

Why I'm using the 83 on the trip to Saint Prime (Lake Saint Jean), end of Feb. With the stackable Linq fuel (14l), I figure we can do the 239KM on the 93, but that is on perfect riding trails, the min you have to push snow, not likely to make it.

Is that with using the fuel caddy you carry?

I don’t think your making the 239km from gas stop to gas stop on 93 with just a full tank of gas in the sled. 
I don’t want to find out either…lol

18 minutes ago, stoney said:

Is that with using the fuel caddy you carry?

I don’t think your making the 239km from gas stop to gas stop on 93 with just a full tank of gas in the sled. 
I don’t want to find out either…lol

My 900TR, I've done 195KM on the integral tank (local riding, no luggage, and had about 3 or 4litres remaining. Sled is pretty comparable to the Yamaha Vector for fuel mileage (even though 900 is 100lbs lighter), which is about 6 or 7 KM\Litr depending on temps, trail, luggage.

stackable Linq tank is 14 litres, which is another 60KM range min. therefore total range is 250Km with some cushion.

22 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

My 900TR, I've done 195KM on the integral tank (local riding, no luggage, and had about 3 or 4litres remaining. Sled is pretty comparable to the Yamaha Vector for fuel mileage (even though 900 is 100lbs lighter), which is about 6 or 7 KM\Litr depending on temps, trail, luggage.

stackable Linq tank is 14 litres, which is another 60KM range min. therefore total range is 250Km with some cushion.

I think the longest run on a single tank that I did last year was up trail 83 from Relais 22 to Jardin, about 160/170km - I do not recall how much gas I put into the sled, I kind of wish I did though......

I do not think I could get 195km on mine with a full tank unless I changed the mode and adjusted my riding style perhaps.

So with the fuel caddy, you would be good up 93 loaded and decent conditions.....now will the rest of the group be good.... 

I am hoping I or someone hears soon if there will be gas up 93 this year - would really like to do the loop.

3 minutes ago, stoney said:

I think the longest run on a single tank that I did last year was up trail 83 from Relais 22 to Jardin, about 160/170km - I do not recall how much gas I put into the sled, I kind of wish I did though......

I do not think I could get 195km on mine with a full tank unless I changed the mode and adjusted my riding style perhaps.

So with the fuel caddy, you would be good up 93 loaded and decent conditions.....now will the rest of the group be good.... 

I am hoping I or someone hears soon if there will be gas up 93 this year - would really like to do the loop.

900TR Fuel Data.JPG

• Like 1

Here is the planning data from my draft 2022 NB trip. Like all plans, it changed and we reverted to ON north. But this gives you an idea, depending on how long a trip you wish to make, of possible legs. You need to verify all stops.

I really want to get back there, my group is a bit lazy about the days drive each way, although it is still a days drive to NL from Ottawa and Toronto.

Day 1 SUN 259 KM.pdf

2 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

900TR Fuel Data.JPG

Yep, I remember you had quite the tracking system for your rides - looks like 203 is your highest distance if I read the excel correctly, when I assume the sled was still new.

3 hours ago, stoney said:

You could take 1-2 4 litre windshield washer jug of gas with you and dump it in when the gas gets down a bit. That way it doesn't have to be an inconvenience too long and gives you the piece of mind.