2022/2023 Sledding Plans, Pictures, etc…

stoney

1 hour ago, stoney said:

I was at Raven lake today and some crazy cottagers are making the trek across the lake to their winter havens.....wee bit of slush, and perhaps ice too....

Nice new docks there now for the WAO folks.

I was surprised that the parking lot was hardly plowed, hopefully that changes or parking there will be at a huge premium this winter - I always wondered who plowed that lot, used to be a grader parked in it all the time, but not the last few years. 

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

I have done a lot of dumb stuff in my life, nothing quite like that though, and I love lake running. 

36 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

I have done a lot of dumb stuff in my life, nothing quite like that though, and I love lake running. 

Might have been an oh crap moment for sure.....tracks further out from shore did not have any signs of slush and Raven is normally ran pretty early.

Many of the lakes up 35 were still open, few building ice from shore and some with snow coverage all the way across.

It sure does look like winter though - you can see the areas along 35 and 117 where the squalls were more active.

12 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Just really depends on what fer sled you have. Got a shorty 340? Better stay home, or you will have a long day.

Got a Skandic or Summit - not so much. Just don't hold it to the bars, and don't blow a belt!

I've put first tracks on several lakes and swamps way out in the bush.

20 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Did you or anyone you know cut a hole in the ice to check thickness?

On 11/3/2022 at 10:41 AM, Gadgetman said:

900TR Fuel Data.JPG

Hey Andy,

I am looking at your chart and looks to me like your sled could have went between 220 to 240km to the tank, and using regular gas on many of the fill ups as well.

Do you run the sled in eco mode, normal or sport and what sort of rider are you when running down the trails?

I think the most I have ran on a tank was 160'ish km, gas gauge was low at that point I am sure.

Just trying to figure what my sled could get to a full tank of gas - I should start to do what you do and keep better track of these things!

Thanks 

On 12/29/2022 at 5:33 PM, Sksman said:

Did you or anyone you know cut a hole in the ice to check thickness?

I am sure it's safe and solid all the way

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, stoney said:

Hey Andy,

I am looking at your chart and looks to me like your sled could have went between 220 to 240km to the tank, and using regular gas on many of the fill ups as well.

Do you run the sled in eco mode, normal or sport and what sort of rider are you when running down the trails?

I think the most I have ran on a tank was 160'ish km, gas gauge was low at that point I am sure.

Just trying to figure what my sled could get to a full tank of gas - I should start to do what you do and keep better track of these things!

Thanks 

Hi,

Historically, I have learned that distance travelled is dependent on two primary factors, 1. trail conditions (hard packed or new snow), or 2. how much you snap the throttle (coming out of curves, or from a start). Hi speed (to a point) but steady throttle still gives me reasonable mileage. 

I run this sled in standard mode, 95% of the time, as my buddy and I found that Eco mode saved about 1 to 1.5 Lt over a 150KM, so gives me about 7 to 11 more KM in ECO mode, based on litres over 150KM. Bought a fuel tank this year, so using ECo mode will likely be mostly for trailer loading.

How do I drive - I try and be smooth, especially coming out of curves, after stops and drive at a comfortable speed on the trail. Do I get passed, yes, and 15% of the time the guys that passed us are pulling themselves out of the bush down the trail. Am I "Sunday driver" - I don't think so.

I plan a route and a trip at 7KM\Litre, normal trails, 6KM\Litr new snow (not bush breaking trail - whole other world) - or temps below -24c.

I plan on fuel between 160-190KM, based on the group, and the fact that I never want to run a sled empty, as that could heat up the fuel injector (fuel cools the injector).

I also note how much fuel I put in, and where the gauge was, so I know how conservative the fuel gauge is.

200KM seems to be a good range distance for the 900T R, if you are trail riding, from what I have seen so far.

I guess I'll find out, as it is 219KM from Pourvoirie Kanawata to Relais 22, on my Quebec trip (345 - 83) - why I'm carrying a fuel tank this year.

Cheers

Andy

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

I guess I'll find out, as it is 219KM from Pourvoirie Kanawata to Relais 22, on my Quebec trip (345 - 83) - why I'm carrying a fuel tank this year.

We were at Relais 22 last year on our wedding trip.  Great place, awesome people.  Soooo want to go back again.  

DM me your itinerary stops, we'll chat in private instead of plugging up this post ....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Hi,

Historically, I have learned that distance travelled is dependent on two primary factors, 1. trail conditions (hard packed or new snow), or 2. how much you snap the throttle (coming out of curves, or from a start). Hi speed (to a point) but steady throttle still gives me reasonable mileage. 

I run this sled in standard mode, 95% of the time, as my buddy and I found that Eco mode saved about 1 to 1.5 Lt over a 150KM, so gives me about 7 to 11 more KM in ECO mode, based on litres over 150KM. Bought a fuel tank this year, so using ECo mode will likely be mostly for trailer loading.

How do I drive - I try and be smooth, especially coming out of curves, after stops and drive at a comfortable speed on the trail. Do I get passed, yes, and 15% of the time the guys that passed us are pulling themselves out of the bush down the trail. Am I "Sunday driver" - I don't think so.

I plan a route and a trip at 7KM\Litre, normal trails, 6KM\Litr new snow (not bush breaking trail - whole other world) - or temps below -24c.

I plan on fuel between 160-190KM, based on the group, and the fact that I never want to run a sled empty, as that could heat up the fuel injector (fuel cools the injector).

I also note how much fuel I put in, and where the gauge was, so I know how conservative the fuel gauge is.

200KM seems to be a good range distance for the 900T R, if you are trail riding, from what I have seen so far.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Andy!

1 hour ago, Techdenis007 said:

We were at Relais 22 last year on our wedding trip.  Great place, awesome people.  Soooo want to go back again.  

DM me your itinerary stops, we'll chat in private instead of plugging up this post ....

Great place Denis!

we stayed there twice last year, great service and wonderful staff that knew how to have a good time….son is quite the banjo player and singer too!
Please share your stories from there too!

6 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Cheers

Andy

FYI....there is what appears to be a gas station in Wemotaci on trail 83 on your way to Relais 22, it is not marked on the trail map, but it is there and called "Wemogaz".

I plan on using it on our possible ride along this trail and how I found it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wemogaz/@47.9022331,-73.7877203,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipNlu-KzoLuyBcTOF_i8eoghUQxXXtquL-nVAB67!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNlu-KzoLuyBcTOF_i8eoghUQxXXtquL-nVAB67%3Dw114-h86-k-no!7i4032!8i3024!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x8db9569f4a26fb1c!8m2!3d47.9022331!4d-73.7877203?hl=en-CA

1 hour ago, stoney said:

FYI....there is what appears to be a gas station in Wemotaci on trail 83 on your way to Relais 22, it is not marked on the trail map, but it is there and called "Wemogaz".

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wemogaz/@47.9022331,-73.7877203,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipNlu-KzoLuyBcTOF_i8eoghUQxXXtquL-nVAB67!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNlu-KzoLuyBcTOF_i8eoghUQxXXtquL-nVAB67%3Dw114-h86-k-no!7i4032!8i3024!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x8db9569f4a26fb1c!8m2!3d47.9022331!4d-73.7877203?hl=en-CA

You can't miss it from the trail (unless the trail has changed). It's almost like the trail is along the edge of their lot. The pumps will be on your left side if you are heading east.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

You can't miss it from the trail (unless the trail has changed). It's almost like the trail is along the edge of their lot. The pumps will be on your left side if you are heading east.

Based on the trail map, it does seem as though it runs right beside it.

Odd it is not noted as a fuel location on the map too.....same as the motel in Parent that used to be shown on the trail map, but no longer.

I just zoom in on the map as I plan away looking for these things, sometimes I will go to google maps and see what I can find there that the trail map does not show..

10 hours ago, stoney said:

Based on the trail map, it does seem as though it runs right beside it.

Odd it is not noted as a fuel location on the map too.....same as the motel in Parent that used to be shown on the trail map, but no longer.

I just zoom in on the map as I plan away looking for these things, sometimes I will go to google maps and see what I can find there that the trail map does not show..

I don't know if the businesses have to pay to be on the map in Quebec or if it is just up to the clubs to request it be put on the map. Either way, every attempt should be made to have gas locations on the maps especially in remote areas like trail 83.

I know that our Trailboss had to arrange to have our clubhouse location and a gas station location put on the Ontario map. I don't know if there was a charge for the fuel stop though.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stoney said:

Good to know, thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, coldfinger said:

You putting a windshield on ? Or growing a beard .

Lol, It has one!

Last year was first year on sled and figured I’d try stock windshield for a season and upgrade if it didn’t work all that well.  It worked good, so didn’t buy a new one for this season. 
Also used my mission Helmet last year for first time too, it worked great…rode with MX style prior. 
And I have a beard too!

• Haha 3

Been busy planning some trips up north, should be a fun time the next few weeks 

• Like 2

^^^ sounds good. I heard a rumour that L125 might not open this season because of logging operations. Can anyone confirm this rumour? 

51 minutes ago, Re:Leaf said:

^^^ sounds good. I heard a rumour that L125 might not open this season because of logging operations. Can anyone confirm this rumour? 

What you have heard would sure make sense. I have been watching the ITG wondering what was happening with it.

Long time no post, just west of Winnipeg yesterday, 100km with wife and friends 

received_2106833352820347.jpeg

• Like 9

1 minute ago, LuvMyViper said:

Hey Jay.. Welcome back, nice to see  you here again..

Same long time seeing that LuvMyViper name 😎

• Like 1

That's my 2017 Assault 144 which has been turning into an SKS 

full front end swap from a SKS, found someone who wanted the wider Assault front end

Went from 42.5" to 41-39" adjustable to just this week 39"-37' adjustable

Doing much more backcountry riding in Manitoba vs trails, surprisingly the 1stbrise at 37" it was good not to tippy.

Bought the better half a 07 Crossfire 500 and it's set at 44" nice and stable for her vs my older 2015 RMK 600 144 

Snow conditions are okay here could use more snow, but can ride.

Might head to Sudbury late February but not sure

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMY1gn5cr/

• Like 4