New trailer

barberch

On 10/6/2022 at 7:55 PM, volunteer2 said:

very nice   what is your tow vehicle  ?  

It is the Infiniti QX80

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

What is that white strip running up the middle?

its a plastic type material. Seems fairly hard but i wonder if it will be slippery

I would ass_u_me that it is a sheet of UHMW.

"Ultra High Molecular Weight"

This is the same stuff that your skis and sliders are typically made of.

It has a very high resistance to abrasion.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Single axle so no brakes.

Brakes are an option and on some of those trailers

4 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Single axle so no brakes.

Used to be that way but a lot of the single axle trailers now have brakes. I tried to option out of the brakes on my 7x12 enclosed single axle and they wouldn't let me. The year before the same trailer didn't come with brakes.

not really possible to order the trailers it seems. What the dealers are shipped is all that is available. I have never had brakes on a sled trailer and always use a large vehicle to tow.

4 hours ago, barberch said:

I have never had brakes on a sled trailer and always use a large vehicle to tow.

The first time you have a trailer swap ends or pitch sideways on you in a crosswind, and you know you could have a lot better chance of saving it, and not have the whole mess end up in a ditch, or rock cut... you will be glad you have trailer brakes. In the states, it is mandatory for all trailers with 2 or more axles, to have brakes, on both axles. most higher end single axles, also come brake equipped. But, yes... towing with the proper sized towing vehicle is paramount, in having good towing experiences. Ski

6 hours ago, skidooboy said:

The first time you have a trailer swap ends or pitch sideways on you in a crosswind, and you know you could have a lot better chance of saving it, and not have the whole mess end up in a ditch, or rock cut... you will be glad you have trailer brakes. In the states, it is mandatory for all trailers with 2 or more axles, to have brakes, on both axles. most higher end single axles, also come brake equipped. But, yes... towing with the proper sized towing vehicle is paramount, in having good towing experiences. Ski

"Working brakes"

• Like 2

In Ontario

Brakes

If your trailer has a gross trailer weight, vehicle and load of 1,360 kilograms or more, it must have brakes strong enough to stop and hold the trailer.

Because of the 1360kg or 2,998lbs weight rating for brakes being required it is common to see manufacturers use a 3,500lbs axle and derate capacity to 2,990lbs.  My single axle open ATV trailer uses a 3,500lbs axle with max weight of trailer rated at 2,990 lbs.  It rarely sees 2 atvs loaded and never winter.  

I am not saying brakes on a single axle sled trailer are not useful only when legally required.

I remember years ago my buddies had a 4 place open sled trailer with hydraulic brakes.   We were lucky when trailer started pushing my buddies full size truck we down an snow and ice covered hill and that we had the entire road to maneuver.   That day changed our thought process really quickly.  

I've never used a surge brake equipped trailer, but the concept of how they work just doesn't leave me feeling warm/fuzzy aboot using them on icey roads at all.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ox said:

I've never used a surge brake equipped trailer, but the concept of how they work just doesn't leave me feeling warm/fuzzy aboot using them on icey roads at all.

We were young and dumb maybe?

Early 90’s brand new galvanized 4 bed trailer with surge brakes.  We were lucky if lights worked on previous trailers so was a huge step up for us.  Putting more sleds on trailer allowed for more beer in truck I think.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Sksman said:

In Ontario

Brakes

If your trailer has a gross trailer weight, vehicle and load of 1,360 kilograms or more, it must have brakes strong enough to stop and hold the trailer.

Because of the 1360kg or 2,998lbs weight rating for brakes being required it is common to see manufacturers use a 3,500lbs axle and derate capacity to 2,990lbs.  My single axle open ATV trailer uses a 3,500lbs axle with max weight of trailer rated at 2,990 lbs.  It rarely sees 2 atvs loaded and never winter.  

I am not saying brakes on a single axle sled trailer are not useful only when legally required.

I remember years ago my buddies had a 4 place open sled trailer with hydraulic brakes.   We were lucky when trailer started pushing my buddies full size truck we down an snow and ice covered hill and that we had the entire road to maneuver.   That day changed our thought process really quickly.  

Been there and done that. Not a lot of fun. 

On 10/10/2022 at 9:48 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

"Working brakes"

This was my issue with brakes on a single axle. The trucks I pull with are more than capable of stopping the load of truck and trailer. But if you get pulled over for a safety check then the trailer brakes need to be working. I own several trucks and trailers and at any given time there may be a certain truck and trailer combo where the brakes don't work for one reason or another. I fear the fines, not the lost of brakes.

39 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

This was my issue with brakes on a single axle. The trucks I pull with are more than capable of stopping the load of truck and trailer. But if you get pulled over for a safety check then the trailer brakes need to be working. I own several trucks and trailers and at any given time there may be a certain truck and trailer combo where the brakes don't work for one reason or another. I fear the fines, not the lost of brakes.

Brakes work fine on trailers that don’t move in winter. 😎

• Like 2

OK.    Moral dilemma here.    I put down a deposit on a TC167 back in August.   I have a bill of sale with the price and options on it.   

They call me today and say due to the US exchange rate, they now want $600 MORE for the trailer.    I remind the gal that I have a $1500 deposit down and a bill of sale clearly stating the price and trailer details.    I dont want to see the young owner lose money on this but I ask him if the exchange rate went the other way and the trailer all of a sudden cost him $600 LESS would he have lowered the price?    Silence on the phone.....    Am I being a dick for holding firm on the numbers on the contract?

53 minutes ago, scottyr said:

OK.    Moral dilemma here.    I put down a deposit on a TC167 back in August.   I have a bill of sale with the price and options on it.   

They call me today and say due to the US exchange rate, they now want $600 MORE for the trailer.    I remind the gal that I have a $1500 deposit down and a bill of sale clearly stating the price and trailer details.    I dont want to see the young owner lose money on this but I ask him if the exchange rate went the other way and the trailer all of a sudden cost him $600 LESS would he have lowered the price?    Silence on the phone.....    Am I being a dick for holding firm on the numbers on the contract?

Normally, no - exchange rates have gone up and down for many years, same as materials really.

So many companies/distribution/manufactures are taking advantage of this in the last 12 to 24 months, eventually it needs to stop.....most business' will not stop until there is push back though of course.

Flip side is, I am sure there is another buyer that will take your trailer - assuming that scenario still exists with the trailers & demand.

Push comes to shove, meet them half way perhaps.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I don't think you are being a dick. The trailer dealer  has an issue with the manufacturer but the manufacturer will just cut the dealer off if they don't pay the increase. If you are feeling real bad maybe they could throw in some locally installed options to help ease your pain and cover some of the extra dollars.

This has been happening with commercial trucks as well. I know a guy who had to pay $22,000 extra to get his ordered Ford diesel cube van that was 10 months late getting to the dealer. The contract fine print had the out for the dealer.

Happening with International trucks that a friend has sold to a municipality on a tender and the truck is over a year late and going to cost the municipality over $15,000.00 extra if it comes in when promised now and if the municipality doesn't tell the dealer where to put the truck.

thats too bad. I'm not sure when the dealer in Midland received mine but i paid pretty much the same as you were quoted. $13799. only thing extra was tax and license.

On 10/10/2022 at 3:28 AM, skidooboy said:

I have been fortunate for the last 40 years to not have an issue like that. I do understand what you are saying though.....

2 hours ago, scottyr said:

The dealer could simply cancel

your order and say sorry we can’t deliver the trailer for quoted price, here is your deposit back. Not much you could do about it either.  

8 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

The dealer could simply cancel

your order and say sorry we can’t deliver the trailer for quoted price, here is your deposit back. Not much you could do about it either.  

I believe it depends on the wording in the sales contract. You may choose not to pursue it but the dealer doesn't likely want to be involved in a legal issue as it would cost them more than $500.00 and possibly bad publicity.

The hope the manufacturers have a day of reckoning over these policies. 

• Like 1