Polaris FYI

Xfirecat

A Stop Ride / Stop Sale notice has been issued by Polaris for select late model snowmobiles, including MATRYX and AXYS sleds. 

Polaris has determined that with degraded fuel and especially after extended storage, Model Year 2021-2023 MATRYX, 2015-2022 AXYS, and select Model Year 2013-2014 Trail Performance (Pro-Ride) snowmobiles may pose a risk of fire due to electrostatic discharge (ESD) inside the fuel tank. Under specific conditions, vapours may be ignited inside the fuel tank, posing a potential injury hazard to consumers.

Number of affected vehicles: Around 230,000 units globally

Number of incidents: Polaris has identified 30 reports of fuel tank ruptures, including 16 incidents of fire and one report of injury.

Consumers should immediately stop using the impacted units. Polaris is currently evaluating a comprehensive action plan to correct this concern at no cost to consumers and will contact affected consumers once determined. DO NOT attempt any repairs yourself. If a rider needs to start their snowmobile, they must make sure the fuel tank is full and, if it is not, then they need to add fresh gasoline to fill the tank.

Polaris is notifying dealers and contacting registered owners directly. Polaris has reported this matter to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

To search off-road recalls by model or vehicle identification number (VIN) to see if your unit is affected by any recalls, visit the Off-Road Safety Recalls page or call Polaris at 800-765-2747.

Polaris Stop Ride Sale Axys _  
Polaris Stop Ride Sale Matryx _  

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some FAQs about the Stop Ride / Stop Sale notice, from the Polaris website:

What snowmobile models are affected?

Polaris has issued a stop sale/stop ride on Model Year 2015-2022 AXYS, 2021-2023 MATRYX, and select Model Year 2013-2014 Trail Performance (Pro-Ride) snowmobiles.

How do I know if my vehicle is impacted?

To search off-road recalls by model or vehicle identification number (VIN) to see if your unit is affected by any recalls, visit the Off-Road Safety Recalls page, or call Polaris at 800-765-2747.

Can I still use my snowmobile while the recall is ongoing?

No. If you receive a recall notice DO NOT continue using the vehicle. Once we have communicated a fix, then you can return it to your Polaris-authorized dealer for repairs. If you need to start your snowmobile, you must make sure the fuel tank is full and, if it is not, then you need to add fresh gasoline to fill the tank.

What is the issue?

We have determined that under certain operating conditions – specifically, when starting the engine with a low level of fuel after long-term storage – some snowmobiles may have increased risk of fire due to electrostatic discharge (ESD) inside the fuel tank. Under these specific, unique conditions, vapors may be ignited inside the fuel tank, posing a potential injury hazard to consumers.

What’s being done?

Polaris is sending a Safety Stop Ride notification to owners affected by this recall and dealers will halt the sales. We have identified a solution and are working to validate that fix by testing the issue under a host of environmental conditions. Once we have a validated solution, we will release it to the field and owners will be notified that they can schedule a free repair.

Until then, affected consumers should not ride or perform maintenance on their vehicles and should store them in-place until further notice. If a rider needs to start their snowmobile, they must make sure the fuel tank is full and, if it is not, then they need to add fresh gasoline to fill the tank.

How are you solving this?

We have identified a solution and are working to validate that fix by testing the issue under a host of environmental conditions. Once we have a validated solution, we will release it to the field.

If a rider needs to start their snowmobile, they must make sure the fuel tank is full and, if it is not, then they need to add fresh gasoline to fill the tank.

How long will it take to issue a fix?

Our teams have identified a solution and are currently validating the fix. When we have the final validated solution, we will release it to the field and provide them with an update on shipment timing. We will not be shipping impacted models without a validated fix. Additionally, owners will be notified that they can schedule a free repair at a Polaris-authorized dealer.

Where do I return my vehicle for repairs?

Polaris is evaluating a comprehensive repair solution. Once validated, repair instructions will be issued to Polaris dealers and vehicle owners will be notified that they can schedule a free repair. Until then, affected consumers should not ride or perform maintenance on their vehicles, and should store them in-place until further notice.

If you need to start your snowmobile, you must make sure the fuel tank is full and, if it is not, then you need to add fresh gasoline to fill the tank.

Can I still place an order for a snowmobile or purchase one for a dealer?

Dealers will not be able to finalize the sale of a snowmobile and release it to a customer until that snowmobiles have undergone the necessary fix.

I’m still waiting to receive my SnowCheck order. Will this delay when I get my snowmobile?

We understand this is an inconvenience to our dealers and riders and we recognize how important the upcoming winter season is to them, but safety is the driver behind our decision. We are working quickly on a solution, so that dealers can get snowmobiles to customers and our riders can maximize the riding season.

How can customers contact Polaris with questions or concerns? How do I reach my dealer?

Customers can contact Polaris Customer Support at: 1-800-765-2747 or owner.connections@polaris.com.

Your Polaris dealers also can help answer questions. Local dealers can be found on our Dealer Locator web page.

• To search off-road recalls by model or vehicle identification number (VIN) to see if your unit is affected by any recalls, visit the Off-Road Safety Recalls page or call Polaris at 800-765-2747.

• If you’d like to contact our customer service team, click here.

• To learn more about this recall, click here.

• Thanks 1

30 times over the last 10 years?

Oh well, I drove a Chevy truck with the gas tank outside the frame-rails too. (nail biter!)

Forget the trucks prior to that that had the tank in the cab....

"I want to climb that chute! But not until I git my gas tank fixed. Safety first eh?"

Not gunna be here forever, may as well go out with a bang!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, signfan said:

Wow that's a lovely screw up.  Someone in engineering is in a big heap of you know what.

Don’t worry.  

It’s only 16 fires out of 230,000 units. 

Trudeau already has vaccines being shipped to Polaris and all will be cured. 

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, Sksman said:

Don’t worry.  

It’s only 16 fires out of 230,000 units. 

Trudeau already has vaccines being shipped to Polaris and all will be cured. 

He did same thing to Briggs and Stratton in usa. Still waiting for my replacement gas tank for my wood splitter. Might get it by December if I am lucky 🤞

The "fix" may be something not so major.    Remember the stop sale was supposedly going to threaten the entire 22 sled season?    I think that Polaris' fix was just to add a washer in the throttle assy or something like that.   

If this recall is caused by static electricity like they say it is, there may be a simple solution to fix it?  

39 minutes ago, scottyr said:

The "fix" may be something not so major.    Remember the stop sale was supposedly going to threaten the entire 22 sled season?    I think that Polaris' fix was just to add a washer in the throttle assy or something like that.   

If this recall is caused by static electricity like they say it is, there may be a simple solution to fix it?  

Going to be fill the fuel tank to brime before storage is solution 😎. Get customers to sign off on that procedure done 😆

Likely something as simple as installing an insulator between chassis and gas tank to reduce the risk that might be lacking currently. 

Static is always a risk everywhere, one of the apparent reasons you fill your gas can on the ground vs in truck, reduce the possible risk. 

Just one more reason costs are spiraling out of control, we must makes things perfect so it meets today’s expectations, if not, let’s fix it so it is at any cost…..

• Like 1

I would imagine we are going to hear about a fix coming very soon, I can see the backlog of customers getting sleds to the dealers becoming a real problem. Crossing my fingers it is dealt with soon. 

• Like 1

I would like to know what was model of 16 sleds that had fires?

Are they all paddle tracked models with larger insulators to ground?

And now it’s a cover our ass situation?  So many conditions must line up for a fire.  

Ground Strap For Cars: All You Need To Know - Auto Care

I'm guessin' that there is more to that strap than jist a chunk of rubber. (???)

Prolly copper lined?

Well, I was searching for a pic of a '68 Caprice or equiv with curb feelers AND a grounding strap, but this was as good as I was finding.

We could have really used one of these on our '96 'Burban!

Self Serve is aboot the only reason that we didn't blow up any gas stations.

As soon as you got out you got a good poke, so it was safe after that. :smil9: :wtf: :oops:

1 hour ago, Ox said:

I'm guessin' that there is more to that strap than jist a chunk of rubber. (???)

Prolly copper lined?

Well, I was searching for a pic of a '68 Caprice or equiv with curb feelers AND a grounding strap, but this was as good as I was finding.

We could have really used one of these on our '96 'Burban!

Self Serve is aboot the only reason that we didn't blow up any gas stations.

As soon as you got out you got a good poke, so it was safe after that. :smil9: :wtf: :oops:

When I worked on the pipelines under hydro towers every vehicle had to have a grounding device.  It could be a ground strap or some of us used a short piece of chain dragging from the trailer hitch chain holes.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, stoney said:

I'd expect that from a Cat rider, not a Poo rider....lol

That and.............

Fingers.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stoney said:

What is the story to that?

Smokers fingers - CAT riders. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Smokers fingers - CAT riders. :)

Thought it was working finger hands - you know those Cats like to leave you stranded on the side of the trail & need a little work/massaging - another downed Cat!

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, stoney said:

Thought it was working finger hands - you know those Cats like to leave you stranded on the side of the trail & need a little work/massaging - another downed Cat!

80% of Arctic Cats are still on the trail!

The other 20% made it home.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

80% of Arctic Cats are still on the trail!

The other 20% made it home.

Hey now, be kind :)

All of my cats have got me home - even towed a few others (Cat, Doo & Poo) along the way....:tongue:

I do not think I have towed a Yami yet though.....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LuvMyViper said:

And you probably never will 😉

Yami-cat perhaps now that they’ve been tainted….

We’ve helped get some Yami’s going though on those cold morning start ups….conair’s are a wonderful tool….lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/7/2022 at 10:58 AM, stoney said:

Hey now, be kind :)

All of my cats have got me home - even towed a few others (Cat, Doo & Poo) along the way....:tongue:

I do not think I have towed a Yami yet though.....

I don't carry a strap with a high enough rating to tow a Yammi.

• Haha 3