Is it safe to say that COVID pricing is over?

scottyr

47 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Saw that, then the next day saw the Unions for those employees are going to challenge them being forced back lol:

LOL, I missed that - When will the silliness stop......

Answer to original question is NO although cost of some materials have come down they have not come down to pre covid pricing. As someone stated, its not materials driving costs its labour and lack of labour.Housing pricing will not be where they were but they will not drop as much as we think, it will stabilize and start increasing slowly again due to lack of inventory at least in the GTA.Our fearless leader has opened up the floodgates with immigrants coming into Canada.(Buying Votes) .Unfortunately our infrastructure is not ready for this and not enough housing to accommodate.Lack of inventory will drive cost up again.I am in the automotive industry tier 2 supplier been running 3 shifts non stop until end of October,it  came to a screeching halt in November.You can see dealer lots filling up again.If you are in the market for a new vehicle I would wait it out until  3rd or 4th quarter 2023.With that said our interest rate will still be on the rise, with the US .50 hike this week we will just follow behind so be prepared for another hike Jan 25th.Talk is that interest rates will continue to rise in 2023.As an automotive manufacture we are 1st to get hit,looking at our upcoming releases and forecast the volume is down signifetly.Are we heading into a recession all the signs are there that we are.I did make the decision to get out of sledding sold everything, could not justify cost anymore mainly due to the short season and kids growing up and not having time to ride. Hoping you all have a great season on the trails.Cheers!

• Like 5

For the vast almost all producers, fuel costs have been a significant part of increased costs/selling prices. Transportation costs have increased significantly with diesel fuel for example being as much as 50 cents a litre more than the already high cost of gasoline this fall. Just another part of the cost of pretty thing much everything we purchase.

On 12/14/2022 at 8:49 PM, RAMSOMAIR said:

Tons of pick ups on the lots now and just saw an add for $3000 off incentives. So increased inventory means discounts. It has started but will take a while. 

I have been tiring kicking for abit. Not sure which engine I want, if I get another gm. 2.7 has had trouble, v8 are trouble with that engine management system. 3.0 L durmax seems to be solid choice at moment. 

Used sled and trucks are dropping as fast as house prices right now.   

I just sold 2 really nice used sleds in the last couple of weeks that were priced very fairly.    Lowest kms and lowest price of anything comparable.    Only had 1 serious person inquire about both.    Didnt even get the kijidiots or lowball offers that I was expecting.   

There are a surpising amount of new sleds sitting around right now.   My dealer has had close to 15% of their Spring Breaks cancel/walk away from their deal.     That number is normally 10%.    They have been re-selling them but not as fast as they expected.    They are expecting Spring Break to be down at least 30% from the last couple of years.    

Only guy I know who is busy still is my Toyota dealer.    He said that Toyota is still having supply issues and has cut his MY23 allotment down from MY22.     He doesnt have an unsold car coming in the next 5 months. 

• Like 2

On 12/17/2022 at 3:20 PM, Strong Farmer said:

I have been tiring kicking for abit. Not sure which engine I want, if I get another gm. 2.7 has had trouble, v8 are trouble with that engine management system. 3.0 L durmax seems to be solid choice at moment. 

Nowadays anything you buy can be a lemon. I’m just over 250k on my 5.3 with engine management and it runs like the day I bought it. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, signfan said:

Well there's now 10 TC 167 triton trailers on kijiji. That says something about how the market is changing.

Watch them - you'll see how many times the prices are dropped or how long they take to not sell.

Tough slugging for a lot of people

Again, happy to hear things getting back to a realistic number or on that track - not bottom of the barrel of course because that may mean we are in a really bad situation.

It was noted above about the material prices coming down, which is directly related to labour too of those working in the manufacture side to get the materials to you.

I am still seeing notices from distribution that manufactures are pushing along price increases "due to circumstances beyond their control"- fewer and fewer, but still happening.

The bigger issue is the labour piece though, how many manufacturing plants increased peoples wages to tackle the issue of shortages to get people to come to work, stay at work, etc.....

It is hard to go back to people and say sorry, we now need to decrease your wage - sure I think it is not unrealistic to do and will need to happen if the business finds themselves in a bad place where they now need to focus on being competitive again to stay alive.

• Like 1

THAT is one of the big issues that I was looking at this last yr+.

What doo you doo with your labour pool on the other side of this?

Yeah I don’t foresee wages decreasing. With the baby boomers retiring we were in for labour shortages regardless. Covid just compounded the issue with free money being dolled out and many people that were nearing retirement saying screw it and throwing the towel in early. I don't believe the main culprit of the inflation cycle were in was wage increases though. Has a lot more to do with material shortages . In the global economy we're in you can't shut down Chinese manufacturing without effecting everyone. Then many businesses took advantage of the opportunity of the pent up demamd and I'm sure made a killing.  I doubt we are going back to 2019 prices, but things are definitely headed to a new normal that is somewhere closer to how things were pre-pandemic.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, signfan said:

Well there's now 10 TC 167 triton trailers on kijiji. That says something about how the market is changing.

And they are all too much money IMO.    I paid $13K + tax for my 23 TC167 with walls and ski guide kits.    The really crappy thing is that I paid $10K for my 22 identical trailer that was stolen.    :(

5 hours ago, scottyr said:

And they are all too much money IMO.    I paid $13K + tax for my 23 TC167 with walls and ski guide kits.    The really crappy thing is that I paid $10K for my 22 identical trailer that was stolen.    :(

It’s everything. Our compact tractors have gone nuts in price. I found a low hour used one for 10K. In 2014 new one was about 12 k. Now a new one is in mid to high 20’s. 

I bought a 4L jug of oil yesterday for the first time in a long time - sticker shock! :)

Wages are going to climb.  But with inflation that does not necessarily mean people are better off.  Or keeping pace with prices.

Until the government reigns in oil companies and their profits especially on Diesel everyone is screwed.  Diesel is the life blood of our economy  

Drop diesel prices by $1/litre and everything becomes cheaper!  

But the government is more into their program of wealth distribution and control of the population.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

Wages are going to climb.  But with inflation that does not necessarily mean people are better off.  Or keeping pace with prices.

Until the government reigns in oil companies and their profits especially on Diesel everyone is screwed.  Diesel is the life blood of our economy  

Drop diesel prices by $1/litre and everything becomes cheaper!  

But the government is more into their program of wealth distribution and control of the population.

Diesel are polluters - too focused on saving the environment here - meanwhile in other parts of the world - their interest level in saving the environment is less than 0.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

But we are better than the rest of the world!

No, we like to pretend and "think" we're better.

We're not.

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

Diesel are polluters - too focused on saving the environment here - meanwhile in other parts of the world - their interest level in saving the environment is less than 0.

They make huge money from the environment while destroying it and having us pay for it... imo

Being the moronic government of Canada is financing spending by having the BoC create more new money, 54 billion more, while they raise interest rates to curb inflation caused by printing billions over the past 3 years. No, inflation is here to stay, but it will become stagnation. High prices, slow economy. This is all by design to kill off the middle class.

1 hour ago, zoso said:

Being the moronic government of Canada is financing spending by having the BoC create more new money, 54 billion more, while they raise interest rates to curb inflation caused by printing billions over the past 3 years. No, inflation is here to stay, but it will become stagnation. High prices, slow economy. This is all by design to kill off the middle class.

Anyone know what the actual "middle class" boundaries are now a days......:coffeenose:

1 hour ago, zoso said:

I would guess 150k family income

Last time I heard of the middle class target, it was a rather large one with lots of doubts surrounding it, so I imagine it is the same now.....if there is an actual target that is that makes sense.

Personally I think the debt load ones carries is a bigger factor vs. what a family makes......of course the more you make, the more you tend to spend.

• Like 1