Fxr, klim or brp

signfan

Looking to replace my 15 year old leather brp gloves this year (finally wore one too many holes in them).  What does everyone recommend for gloves?  Looking for a 5 finger mitt with decent insulation that will wick moisture and stay dry.  I do run the brp muffs a lot of the time, but would still prefer a pair that I could run without muffs on.  Am thinking I'll avoid the electric heated versions, but other than that looking for top of the line that will last me another 15 years.

• Like 1

My old pair of fxr worked great for many years, xtreme I think. 
My current warm pair are klim, fusion I think, and work well. 
But really prefer my muffs with a thin pair of gloves, can’t beat that combo. 

• Like 1

I bought a pair of Fxr leather gloves a couple of years ago .They are warm and seem to be holding up well. The reason i bought them over Klim was the recommendation from the sales girl at Royal. I had the Klim in my hand when the girl came up and asked if she could help. I then asked her did she know which were warmer.She said the Fxr were warmer and that they get a lot of people returning the Klim cause they are not satisfied with them.Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I switched to Klim gloves last season and they work quite good. Ran FXR gloves for years and still use the pair I have from time to time. 

• Like 1

my son has a pair of FXR and a pair of Klim - he says the Klims are better.

I wear 15 year old leather Polaris gloves still - they are thin - with holes - but I love em.

My issue with any thicker pair of gloves now is when I stop for a break, lunch, etc….I find my hands get cold than or once I start riding again and usually have a hard time getting that cold gone (older age I’m sure & circulation …😀). 
With thin gloves and muffs, getting that heat back into my hands work great. 

My klim gloves have two compartments, if I use the warmer one, I find the finger movements to be more rigid, but they are warmer of course. 

• Like 1

I run a pair of the heated FXR's.  Very rarely do I have to turn the heat on.  So far over two winters, they are holding up well

6 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

I run a pair of the heated FXR's.  Very rarely do I have to turn the heat on.  So far over two winters, they are holding up well

Are those battery powered?

If the muffs bothered me, I’d consider heated gloves for sure. 

3 hours ago, stoney said:

My issue with any thicker pair of gloves now is when I stop for a break, lunch, etc….I find my hands get cold than or once I start riding again and usually have a hard time getting that cold gone (older age I’m sure & circulation …😀). 
With thin gloves and muffs, getting that heat back into my hands work great. 

My klim gloves have two compartments, if I use the warmer one, I find the finger movements to be more rigid, but they are warmer of course. 

At show about 4 years ago one retailer was selling choko leather gloves. Wish I would have bought two pairs. I think they were 39.99 and pure leather. Wish I would have bought two pairs at time. 

Both my wife and I purchased the BRP Absolute 0 gloves.  Rode all winter in Timmins/Cochrane area and never had cold hands.  After a full season, no signs of wear.  Not cheap, but hands and feet can't be cold if you want to be out there all day.

33 minutes ago, jacrider said:

Both my wife and I purchased the BRP Absolute 0 gloves.  Rode all winter in Timmins/Cochrane area and never had cold hands.  After a full season, no signs of wear.  Not cheap, but hands and feet can't be cold if you want to be out there all day.

I was reading about these last year, seem to have good reviews, but don’t hear them mentioned very often. 

On 8/5/2022 at 1:02 PM, stoney said:

Are those battery powered?

If the muffs bothered me, I’d consider heated gloves for sure. 

yes they are.  Granted, the Titan has a big windshield on it so that will block some of the wind but, the gloves are quite warm without turning the heat on.  When I had my DOO I ran the muffs.  Didn't bother me at all

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2022 at 11:33 AM, Spiderman said:

my son has a pair of FXR and a pair of Klim - he says the Klims are better.

I wear 15 year old leather Polaris gloves still - they are thin - with holes - but I love em.

I still have my 20 year old Skidoo gloves. They are beaten and old but they are damn comfortable

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 8:05 AM, UsedtoSkidoo said:

I still have my 20 year old Skidoo gloves. They are beaten and old but they are damn comfortable

Sounds like marriage  ;)

• Haha 4

I can't do the muffs thing - so warm gloves I guess is a must - failing which- some hotshots in them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

I can't do the muffs thing - so warm gloves I guess is a must - failing which- some hotshots in them.

X2

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Curious, what about the muffs you can’t do?

I used to hate muffs but I realized I hate cold hands even more.   If I going to Cochrane area they are mounted on my sled before I load up.   I cant seem to find gloves that keep my hands warm in -25c weather.   

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I used to hate muffs but I realized I hate cold hands even more.   If I going to Cochrane area they are mounted on my sled before I load up.   I cant seem to find gloves that keep my hands warm in -25c weather.   

Lol - so true. 
I brought a spare pair last year for my brother to use, he decided not needed and left in his truck - boy did he regret that quickly…lol

On 8/16/2022 at 1:31 PM, stoney said:

Curious, what about the muffs you can’t do?

I find them encroaching ( even if they don't ), I think it's the optics of having something over my hands - I just can not get comfortable with them and do not feel in control.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spiderman said:

I find them encroaching ( even if they don't ), I think it's the optics of having something over my hands - I just can not get comfortable with them and do not feel in control.

I found my old old pair of muffs were that way too, only ever pulled those out on the late, late night runs in Muskoka from buddies leach lake cottage to other buddies bear lake cottage, when we used to make that run on those frigid Jan nights.

The newer style ones are so much better, imo. 

• 4 weeks later...

Take a look at these.  TOBE

Lots of options - with a good pair of muffs you don't need much at all but if you're like me I don't like them.  I'm currently running the Klim Powerxross (GoreTex) for milder days and a pair of full leather Black Diamond "Guide" back-country ski gloves (removable shearling liner/GoreTex) for colder days.