New Cat for 2024

Sledguy74

wondering with belt drive how would reverse work for 4 strokes

Motors I would love to see in the new platform:

1. A late 90's Zr500 motor. 105hp. Impressive top end!

2. Keep the C-tec 600. 125hp

3. Firecat F7 motor. 140hp. Again, impressive top end! Eliminates playing in the 650cc game.

4. Triple 900/1000 2stroke. 180hp. Smooth. Won't destroy the clutches. Be ahead of the competition, except maybe Polaris' turbo 850.

5. Yammy turbo 4 stroke. 200+hp. Smooth. Fast but heavy.

Would cover all the bases.

I know, keep dreaming! lol

13 minutes ago, yamadan700 said:

Motors I would love to see in the new platform:

1. A late 90's Zr500 motor. 105hp. Impressive top end!

2. Keep the C-tec 600. 125hp

3. Firecat F7 motor. 140hp. Again, impressive top end! Eliminates playing in the 650cc game.

4. Triple 900/1000 2stroke. 180hp. Smooth. Won't destroy the clutches. Be ahead of the competition, except maybe Polaris' turbo 850.

5. Yammy turbo 4 stroke. 200+hp. Smooth. Fast but heavy.

Would cover all the bases.

I know, keep dreaming! lol

Emissions issues I’m sure put aside, the 700 engine was an overachiever, but with the newer motors, it was quite obvious that the 700 lacked the low end grunt, but did extremely well mid to top. 

Can’t see any manufacturers coming out with a triple. 

14 minutes ago, stoney said:

Emissions issues I’m sure put aside, the 700 engine was an overachiever, but with the newer motors, it was quite obvious that the 700 lacked the low end grunt, but did extremely well mid to top. 

Can’t see any manufacturers coming out with a triple. 

My dream balloon has been deflated...lol...    Damn emissions!!!!! 

I'm not well versed in the C-tec technology but if AC could incorporate it into the proven Zr500 and F7 motors, IMO, they would have winners! There is no one playing in this 2 stroke HP market at the moment.

If anyone would go against the grain regarding triples, it would be AC/Yamaha. Would love to have one again! They were bullet proof and sounded great! Put over 30,000 hard kms on my Vmax700 and never opened it up. Still ran like a champ when I sold it.

Time will tell. Fingers crossed.

On 9/12/2022 at 2:44 PM, wrightonalan said:

wondering with belt drive how would reverse work for 4 strokes

Cat has always said that the new chassis is 2 stroke only.    That being said, I bet they bring out a wide body version for the 998 Turbo eventually.  

• Like 2

On 9/11/2022 at 2:32 PM, stoney said:

Haven’t look much at it yet, but great to see a new chassis. 
I understand that for now it only comes with 600cc engine, no 800 (or possibly TBD bigger cc engine) or 4 stroke. 
With the more narrow chassis design, might need to offer a wide body version like Doo has. 

Looking forward to seeing some on the trails this year!

26 minutes ago, scottyr said:

Cat has always said that the new chassis is 2 stroke only.    That being said, I bet they bring out a wide body version for the 998 Turbo eventually.  

I was thinking the same thing. 
And will need a different chain case by the sounds of it. 

On 9/18/2022 at 9:29 PM, yamadan700 said:

I'm not well versed in the C-tec technology but if AC could incorporate it into the proven Zr500 and F7 motors,

The ctec and suzuki firecat motors are both lay down motors. Very similar and both awesome. Ctec a bit better on fuel. 

On 9/18/2022 at 11:03 PM, scottyr said:

Provided Yamaha keeps supplying Cat with engines. 

I'm wondering why they didn't put the 800 in this new chassis? And maybe they still will. But I hope its because they need all their resources for the new 900 2 stroke that's been rumored for a couple years now.

On 9/11/2022 at 10:30 AM, Sledguy74 said:

Sounds like they are on the right track! (pun intended) Pic looks like the mid-sized blast but who knows.  Lowering the CG is always a good thing, I just hope they address the epic under-steer issue they have out of the box on the pro cross.

32 minutes ago, Puggz said:

Sounds like they are on the right track! (pun intended) Pic looks like the mid-sized blast but who knows.  Lowering the CG is always a good thing, I just hope they address the epic under-steer issue they have out of the box on the pro cross.

So you found the PC will not hold the corner when turning?

I know mine out of the box was just terrible too, but a few tweaks on the skid/suspension, fixed all of that thankfully.

In fairness the first Doo that I had last year didn’t turn as crisp as my cat did, but after some messing around, works good now. 
I’m usually pretty shocked at people that get new sleds and it works to their liking based on dealer prep - I’ve just never experienced that, but even if it did, I know I’d think it could be better and start messing around….lol

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 3:02 PM, stoney said:

So you found the PC will not hold the corner when turning?

I know mine out of the box was just terrible too, but a few tweaks on the skid/suspension, fixed all of that thankfully.

For some reason I still can't get my RS to stop understeering. Even tightened the front strap.  My wifes '18 600 LTD (137), with the same tweaks is better tho ?!?!

10 minutes ago, Puggz said:

For some reason I still can't get my RS to stop understeering. Even tightened the front strap.  My wifes '18 600 LTD (137), with the same tweaks is better tho ?!?!

It can be frustrating and make you loose all confidence going into corners. 
My PC was a high county, so more off trail than on trail set up - I remember trying all sorts of things to get it to my liking from day one, the two major issues that sled had causing it was bad ski alignment and limiter strap too loose. 

16 minutes ago, stoney said:

It can be frustrating and make you loose all confidence going into corners. 
My PC was a high county, so more off trail than on trail set up - I remember trying all sorts of things to get it to my liking from day one, the two major issues that sled had causing it was bad ski alignment and limiter strap too loose. 

and bad stock skis (18 and older models. the new G2 Mountain ski is pretty good on the M, and High Country), and narrow front end. we pull our sway bars off too, on our High Country's, that doesnt help trail manners but, it doesnt make them unrideable, unless you are trying to set a new point A to point B record time. :D 

the problem I see with the procross, proclimb, and ascender chassis as seen as steering issues is, where the middle of the ski turning carbide sits, apposed to where the center of the bottom of the spindle, and where all the sleds weight presses down. most skis stick way our front of this, and does not allow the keel and carbide to turn the sled very well. this is a trade off because, that is what makes this platform so darn good offtrail.  it is all a trade off, decide what you are willing to live with. 

I understand what you are saying, not poking at you. some people really are sensitive to steering issues, and it drives us nuts, to try to find a solution. Ski

5 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

and bad stock skis (18 and older models. the new G2 Mountain ski is pretty good on the M, and High Country), and narrow front end. we pull our sway bars off too, on our High Country's, that doesnt help trail manners but, it doesnt make them unrideable, unless you are trying to set a new point A to point B record time. :D 

the problem I see with the procross, proclimb, and ascender chassis as seen as steering issues is, where the middle of the ski turning carbide sits, apposed to where the center of the bottom of the spindle, and where all the sleds weight presses down. most skis stick way our front of this, and does not allow the keel and carbide to turn the sled very well. this is a trade off because, that is what makes this platform so darn good offtrail.  it is all a trade off, decide what you are willing to live with. 

I understand what you are saying, not poking at you. some people really are sensitive to steering issues, and it drives us nuts, to try to find a solution. Ski

Funny you mention skis….I ended up buying Curve skis, was vey impressed with them as well, but the culprit was alignment and sucking up strap for more ski pressure, no shock adjustment was giving me the ski pressure needed. 
Strap adjustment is generally the last suspension item I’ll touch after all else fails. 

No poking intended to me, just different perspectives on things that work or don’t work for some based on what outcome they are looking for 👍