Club needs help to survive

old sledhead

26 minutes ago, KearneyCookhouse said:

New volunteers for any committee need a firm handshake welcome and a committment that you are actually going to use them in a good position that is empty.  None of this just show up, we will figure out how to use you later etc..  Make a list of empty positions that can be filled immediately.  And good positions.  I know it can seem that every guy wants to run the groomer, not many want to stand knee deep in cold river water fixing broken bridges.   When new people come to the first meeting they have already got ideas of what they can do and help with.  Its very discouraging to offer to help groom and get told Old George does that, need help patrolling, well maybe but Mary Fred and Charlie are doing that etc.  Need someone to run the bbq and food tents on events, well nope, we got that covered too.   I hear this all the time at the window of the chip truck when people try to get on long standing committees or try to volunteer at community events.  And often when people are already deeply involved in committee work they take resentment when the people in charge start asking for volunteers to do the work that volunteer has done for years, and often alone.  You cant off load the crap work, the working in buggy hot or cold rainy weather to new people.    One of the biggest complaints I hear all the time, is that the 4 or 5 Legions within driving distance to us are always asking for volunteers.  People show up hoping to bartend on Canada day or be the rib guy in the fall.  They go to all the Legions within their driving comfort distance.  Nope, they get told they can be handy helping cars park or keeping open alcohol from going home in cars.  And no shares in the tips, the same bartenders get all the tips.  And if they want to volunteer on the big events, they can come in on the Tuesday after and clean the bar area because the other volunteers couldnt clean after a busy long weekend.  People get very discouraged when they try to get involved in an already long running volunteer event.

Sounds like local Lions club.  Old boys discouraged any new ideas from younger members.  Younger members disappear.  

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

Sounds like local Lions club.  Old boys discouraged any new ideas from younger members.  Younger members disappear.  

Not only the Lions, Kinsmen and Shriners from what I hear and see. 

I have started helping out with Heart of Ontario Club and I am enjoying helping out so far. No interest in grooming as I ride to ride a little faster than a crawl.

Jerry

• Like 1