Club needs help to survive

old sledhead

We require help to keep our club alive.  We are in the final stages of separation of the club. Our township is taking over our land and clubhouse, the snowmobile trails club will  remain as the Eganville Sno Drifters if  people step up to keep it alive. The group that are interested in keeping the races ( bonnchere cup) will be a separate organization. 

Please help get the word out this is a great  chance for new people and new ideas no so called old boys club. 

Personaly I have been involved over 25 years heading up trails and with a new job last year , I don't have time but will be available if needed as I am still our clubs district rep

20220701_113731.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well here is a update on our club and sad to say it's not good.

After our a g.m  not  new person showed up. 

At this point myself the president secretary and groomer coordinator are going to try one more time in September before we leave.

Our district and neighboring clubs can not cover off our trails.

So if new people don't step forward by the end of September trails will close. At the end of September the president and groomer coordinator are leaving for sure, myself after 30 years I would like to step away.

This is were the trails will cease to exist if no one comes forward. 

20220716_124120.jpg

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, old sledhead said:

At this point myself the president secretary and groomer coordinator are going to try one more time in September before we leave.

So if new people don't step forward by the end of September trails will close. At the end of September the president and groomer coordinator are leaving for sure, myself after 30 years I would like to step away.

20220716_124120.jpg

Does your club use social media such as Twitter and Facebook?(even though my adult offspring tell me Facebook is for old people LOL). if you have been putting the information you have posted here on these other social media, then I'm not sure what else you can do other than maybe taking out some ad's telling people there will be no club trails this coming winter due to lack of help. Good Luck and I hope some help appears so your club can keep going.

• Like 2

OS, thank you for your dedication to the Eganville club, as well as the president, secretary, and groomer coordinator. The future of the club is uncertain, but we’re very grateful for your hard work in the past. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 8:00 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Does your club use social media such as Twitter and Facebook?(even though my adult offspring tell me Facebook is for old people LOL). if you have been putting the information you have posted here on these other social media, then I'm not sure what else you can do other than maybe taking out some ad's telling people there will be no club trails this coming winter due to lack of help. Good Luck and I hope some help appears so your club can keep going.

100% agreed. If you need to spread the word I’d turn to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Failing that you could talk to local dealerships to spread the word. 

On 7/16/2022 at 1:05 PM, old sledhead said:

20220716_124120.jpg

Thanks for your dedication. Rode thru there a few times with my dad. Beauty area and a long season usually compared to lower elevation area’s. Hopefully you find some help since that’s a popular detour from rap route  thru golden lake. Much more interesting ride as well. Good luck. Surely some new bodies will come forward in time. 

Wow, unfortunate for sure.

Have ridden through there many times as well.

11 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Thanks for your dedication. Rode thru there a few times with my dad. Beauty area and a long season usually compared to lower elevation area’s. Hopefully you find some help since that’s a popular detour from rap route  thru golden lake. Much more interesting ride as well. Good luck. Surely some new bodies will come forward in time. 

Good summary,  SF. Consistent snow in this area and Golden Lake provides options ( cut across or stay on land trails).

Hope that you find participants willing to assist.  Thanks for maintaining the trails, OS.

Good luck Art, thank you for everything you've done over the years.

Good luck with your efforts in finding new blood to help out the club, the struggle is very real for alot of clubs and I think will only get worse as the age of those volunteers gets higher.

Many thanks for all your years of service and volunteering. Hopefully you will find the time to enjoy the sport a bit more in the future.

• Like 1

Snowmobiling is becoming like owning a Harley Davidson.   Every year the average age of the riders is increasing by 2 years.     Young guys cannot afford to get into the sport and therefore have no interest in volunteering. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, scottyr said:

Snowmobiling is becoming like owning a Harley Davidson.   Every year the average age of the riders is increasing by 2 years.     Young guys cannot afford to get into the sport and therefore have no interest in volunteering. 

Even guys into the sport in there 30’s or early 40’s are saying with the price of everything, it’s tough and not looking good for future. 
sure they only want to buy the premium sled vs the lower to mid level sleds. 

Also most riders now don’t live where they ride either, so makes it hard to help out clubs in need.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, scottyr said:

That is a pretty broad brush you are painting these young people with. I know quite a few young guys and gals that are passionate about snowmobiling and do volunteer their time when they can.  As an older guy myself I have been involved with this sport for too many years,  it seems that we do not welcome the younger generation into our clubs in a way that they want to help out and also have fun. 

I have 3 daughters, they all look forward to the first weekend of December where they can invite their friends to help volunteer with trail set up. We have Hot chili in the shop afterwards with a warm fire, it's all about the experience. If you make it enjoyable, welcoming and fun, the "young gals(and gals)" will return. 

272849307_10159619561361011_1367629502592687852_n.jpg

79535258_10157543542931011_309787920816930816_n.jpg

76905948_10157543543431011_3081641813723840512_n.jpg

271996038_10227729050474805_4154215623337105703_n.jpg

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, coldfinger said:

That is a pretty broad brush you are painting these young people with. I know quite a few young guys and gals that are passionate about snowmobiling and do volunteer their time when they can.  As an older guy myself I have been involved with this sport for too many years,  it seems that we do not welcome the younger generation into our clubs in a way that they want to help out and also have fun. 

I have 3 daughters, they all look forward to the first weekend of December where they can invite their friends to help volunteer with trail set up. We have Hot chili in the shop afterwards with a warm fire, it's all about the experience. If you make it enjoyable, welcoming and fun, the "young gals(and gals)" will return. 

272849307_10159619561361011_1367629502592687852_n.jpg

79535258_10157543542931011_309787920816930816_n.jpg

76905948_10157543543431011_3081641813723840512_n.jpg

271996038_10227729050474805_4154215623337105703_n.jpg

The system or perhaps the way some clubs express how things must be run can be a roadblock, but some of that is to do with liability. 
I know a few younger guys that moved into or cottage in sledding regions that have tried to help local clubs but never panned out due to various reasons, but it is not a huge number or enough to fill the gaps, imo. 

It is awesome to hear about your successes though!

I remember when the Port Perry club members used to post pictures and updates from their trail work days and the youth that were involved - it was great to see. 
But seeing those reports over the years diminish is sad as a result of feedback not appreciated….same can be said about riding updates too sadly. 

11 hours ago, coldfinger said:

Well said Coldfinger, fun is the only thing that works.

Our club has always done well with getting young people involved, sure we have some stagnate seasons here and there when our younger gen starts families and can't be as involved, but there's always a few more young newbies ready to step up. The formula that works us is straight up fun and camaraderie, and making sure it's well displayed on social media, without it no one wants to be a part of it, even the well aged. Through out the years we've made it so fun that we have had non sledders and new gen landowners come out to help the odd time, many have become sledders because of it. 

Nothing worse than seeing a club constantly grumble and piss and moan about everything OFSC, MTO, Townships .. ect on social media and in person, then wonder why the same 3 or people are stuck running the club on their own, they truly display an untrue picture of what being part of a sled club and volunteering is all about.  Roll with it and keep it light and fun and people will want to be a part of it. 

Now in saying that there is areas that are geographically and population challenged, but that formula will still work for them and will yield some results.  

Thanks for your time Oldtimer, good luck in reviving your club 🍻

• Like 6

18 hours ago, scottyr said:

I disagree. I think its cyclical. My son is 21 has a Harley and we constantly see young people on them versus sport bikes. 

21 hours ago, stoney said:

Even guys into the sport in there 30’s or early 40’s are saying with the price of everything, it’s tough and not looking good for future. 
sure they only want to buy the premium sled vs the lower to mid level sleds. 

Also most riders now don’t live where they ride either, so makes it hard to help out clubs in need.

Biggest issue is all rules and liability. That turns allot of good volunteers away. No sir you can’t use that chain saw today but you can pick up branches and limbs and throw them into bush for a few years and we will think about training you 🤣.  

• Like 1

After trying to volunteer with local club last couple years I have given up.   I will volunteer time.  As will another member on here for same club.  But it was like getting your wisdom teeth pulled to get any info and it was always incorrect.

Call district and they say call club.  Club says call district for training.  They say call club.

Need chainsaw course.  Done.

read sign course material. Done.

where do we meet?  Silence.

when is a work day?  Silence.

crap I can stay home with wife if I want to be ignored.  Why try hard to get it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Sksman said:

After trying to volunteer with local club last couple years I have given up.   I will volunteer time.  As will another member on here for same club.  But it was like getting your wisdom teeth pulled to get any info and it was always incorrect.

Call district and they say call club.  Club says call district for training.  They say call club.

Need chainsaw course.  Done.

read sign course material. Done.

where do we meet?  Silence.

when is a work day?  Silence.

crap I can stay home with wife if I want to be ignored.  Why try hard to get it?

How far are you from Owen Sound? 😂 We welcome all volunteers and scoop up people like you that get ignored elsewhere! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Christy said:

How far are you from Owen Sound? 😂 We welcome all volunteers and scoop up people like you that get ignored elsewhere! 

Maybe this year will be different.   

I guess we just need to get more determined. 

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

If I can break into the ‘old boys’ club then you definitely can. I started with helping them with social media…and had to email a few times to get a response. I think club members are just too busy to do the work of organizing new people, but nothing changes if they don’t take the time to do it.

Good luck! It is worth it once you get in. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 8:55 AM, Sksman said:

Sometimes new guys come out and tire kicking too. Might come to one or two meetings and disappear. So I see both sides of storey. Clubs that know how to welcome new people and put their talents and interests to work are successful ones. 

• Like 1

Just  want to chime in here I now am being told that one of our neighboring clubs is in the same boat and it does not sound good for them eather.  This could well mean the loss of over 200 km of trail in district 6 if people don't step up and commit to holding positions.

Now that said I totally respect any amount  of time that someone  can volunteer to our sport .

That  said the big problem as I see it is not getting people out to help brush and get trail open or to redeck a bridge yes it can be tough to get enough hands but some how it seems that between us old people and the new  jobs get done.

We're I see the problem is that people don't realize the commitment of time it takes year around to keep clubs and trails going. People get discouraged because they come in gun hoe  just to find out the work that is involved and the restrictions placed  on the volunteer.  Many do not realize it starts with the provincial government who owns the permit ,then you have o.f.s.c who has to deal with  the biggest thing insurance who dictates a lot of what we can do. Then you come down to the district  . All these entries  have guidelines that a club must follow. 

Our sport is not a 4 to 6 month sport it is a 12 month commitment.  Between myself and our groomer coordinator  this off season we have applied for two grants three quotes for each  ( neither were approved) for trail work  but we will try again .

We have a large bridge that needs repairs  ,materials are now purchased  but work needs to be done yet  ,so we have to organizea work party this fall. We have also delt with more than 6 landowner issues most of witch are off seaso trespassing.  Add to this attending a district meeting once a month.

All that said iam not nor will I ever discouraged  anyone from volunteering the time they can commit to. One thing that I want to make clear is there are so many ways people can help clubs and districts out and you don't necessarily need to live in the area. 

Like it was stated in posts to me earlier  we could use a person to do social media  or do volunteer recruitment and appreciation. 

I think all iam trying to say is we welcome anyone who can help in any form, just don't over committ and for us old timers we should only offer encouragement and try to  keep a open mind on new ideas..

If new people are not found iam afraid  for our sport.

• Like 5

New volunteers for any committee need a firm handshake welcome and a committment that you are actually going to use them in a good position that is empty.  None of this just show up, we will figure out how to use you later etc..  Make a list of empty positions that can be filled immediately.  And good positions.  I know it can seem that every guy wants to run the groomer, not many want to stand knee deep in cold river water fixing broken bridges.   When new people come to the first meeting they have already got ideas of what they can do and help with.  Its very discouraging to offer to help groom and get told Old George does that, need help patrolling, well maybe but Mary Fred and Charlie are doing that etc.  Need someone to run the bbq and food tents on events, well nope, we got that covered too.   I hear this all the time at the window of the chip truck when people try to get on long standing committees or try to volunteer at community events.  And often when people are already deeply involved in committee work they take resentment when the people in charge start asking for volunteers to do the work that volunteer has done for years, and often alone.  You cant off load the crap work, the working in buggy hot or cold rainy weather to new people.    One of the biggest complaints I hear all the time, is that the 4 or 5 Legions within driving distance to us are always asking for volunteers.  People show up hoping to bartend on Canada day or be the rib guy in the fall.  They go to all the Legions within their driving comfort distance.  Nope, they get told they can be handy helping cars park or keeping open alcohol from going home in cars.  And no shares in the tips, the same bartenders get all the tips.  And if they want to volunteer on the big events, they can come in on the Tuesday after and clean the bar area because the other volunteers couldnt clean after a busy long weekend.  People get very discouraged when they try to get involved in an already long running volunteer event.

• Like 1