Snowmobiles and roundabouts

Re:Leaf

I recently found out that a roundabout will be installed at hwy 169 and hwy 12 in Brechin. Presently the 103 snowmobile trail crosses hwy 12 and heads northeast beside hwy 169. I’m not sure how the OFSC will handle this reroute. What are your thoughts?

The blue arrow indicates where the roundabout will be, and the yellow line indicates the train track location. 

B4064C3D-8D40-4569-8FDA-16F50C61E7D4.jpeg

0A1CF68E-7EEF-4F7D-AF12-E010D0486D0D.jpeg

Good question.   Seeing as there are no lights at intersection it might actually be safer when crossing.

Round-abouts are great when people know how to use them.

The last time I was in Ireland I don't think I saw a stop sign lol

• Like 1

Been though a thousand of them on this trip in Scotland and England on the wrong dam side of the road  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My cottage is just up the road, and didn't even know they were installing a round about.  Do you have a link to the plan for that or when its happening.. I know there is a lot of traffic there on Sundays with everybody going home.

Mike

19 minutes ago, MXZMike said:

My cottage is just up the road, and didn't even know they were installing a round about.  Do you have a link to the plan for that or when its happening.. I know there is a lot of traffic there on Sundays with everybody going home.

Mike

The township is going to resurface the road in front of our farm. They want us to donate (or they’ll expropriate) some of our land. While talking to them about resurfacing our road, they mentioned a roundabout at 169 and 12. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 8:52 AM, Spiderman said:

Round-abouts are great when people know how to use them.

The last time I was in Ireland I don't think I saw a stop sign lol

I agree. The truck usually requires both lanes. Many people become confused, even though I have my four ways on and take half the left ane, many still speed up beside me. They realize it was a bad move in a hurry. Happens all the time.

• Like 2

Yeah. they are not designed for trucks. :o

13 hours ago, Ox said:

Yeah. they are not designed for trucks. :o

The City planners need to do a better job providing commercial vehicles with appropriate truck routes.

• Like 1

Good luck with that thought. It would be a great thing if the roundabout designers took a half day and did a ride along in a tractor trailer so they would have an idea of the room needed for them to maneuver.

I have to say that the St. Jacobs roundabout (one of the earliest new style in Ontario) has greatly improved truck traffic flow and the accidents that do occur are not as severe as when there were stop lights.

• Like 2

We have a round-about in Angola, Indiana (just 30 smiles from me) that has been there as long as I have known. (45 yrs at least)

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6348666,-84.998897,113m/data=!3m1!1e3

It is the center of town and only 1 lane, and trucks doo fine there.

Just in recent years when Toledo started installing them - have I experienced a 2 lane round-about.

I had to have a "WHOA!" moment to figger out how this worked!

And those are not nearly as large as the one in Angola at all, and my BIL says that "You jist let the trailer run where it wants to and be done with it."

I don't think that I have been through one of the 2 lane jobbies with my trailer yet.

• Like 1

There is a roundabout on Hwy 17 going thru Mattawa,   its pretty small diameter, I bet trucks hate that one. There is one in North Bay too that is a block or so north  behind the Hwy 17 truck Weigh scales. ( I use that roundabout route when I wanted to  to avoid  the weigh scales. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...

Update: the single lane roundabout is complete. I’m sure tractor trailer drivers hate it, but it definitely helps traffic move through the area. The snowmobile trail 103 has been marked/signed and is ready for the snow to fall. The trail crosses hwy 12 just south of the roundabout and then crosses hwy 169 east of the roundabout. 

06869843-43C5-4B29-93A2-237661A68B7E.jpeg

B637493D-6792-487E-A3A7-DA27FFAA08DB.png

• Like 1

Thanks for posting..  Hopefully we actually open a trail in that area..  Looking at long range forecast I am not all that hopeful the 103 will actually open this year.  My cottage is right off the trail up by Dalrymple so its my access point to everything without using trailer... sigh...

Mike

6 hours ago, MXZMike said:

Thanks for posting..  Hopefully we actually open a trail in that area..  Looking at long range forecast I am not all that hopeful the 103 will actually open this year.  My cottage is right off the trail up by Dalrymple so its my access point to everything without using trailer... sigh...

Mike

I come in off of Simcoe from Lagoon City so I'm in the same boat.