Cochrane Thursday

volunteer2

1 minute ago, volunteer2 said:

Just looking at the map      what is at the end of the L153 ?    and dont say the end lol

We didn't go all the way to the end Nick but the trail that turns to the left and goes down to the river is one of the narrowest trails I have ever been on. Its little more than a sled width. The first time, I started to think we had made a mistake taking it but there was no turning around. Fortunately it is only narrow until you get to the river.

If I had to guess, I would think the L153 likely ends at someones camp or at the first place the groomer could get turned around.

• Thanks 1

Going to Moosonee has always interested me    Not sure  but should say bucket list idea     just so many places to go  need a another person to go with and a tour guide I guess

• Like 2

2 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Going to Moosonee has always interested me    Not sure  but should say bucket list idea     just so many places to go  need a another person to go with and a tour guide I guess

Thats one of the places my buddy and I have talked about going for a couple years..  

Mike

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skidooboy said:

you will want, and need a guide. to route you around, and through dangers, and haul the fuel required for this trip. this is for experienced riders with at least cross over sleds, for track length, depth for floatation. there are pics on FB from Pat Dubreuil doing this a few weeks ago. there are several portages around water areas, one looks to be a nasty side hill, donkey trail.  there is a young lady in Hearst with her father guiding right from the companion. Ski

This makes more sense Ski,  

I have tons of trail experience but little to no off trail.  I’ll look in to this for myself and my neighbour instead, as well as a VK540, Expedition or Tundra sled instead of my Winder.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Only been there in the summer time - took the Polar Bear Express there.

Next time I go, it will be with snow :)

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2022 at 8:51 AM, skidooboy said:

you will want, and need a guide. to route you around, and through dangers, and haul the fuel required for this trip. this is for experienced riders with at least cross over sleds, for track length, depth for floatation. there are pics on FB from Pat Dubreuil doing this a few weeks ago. there are several portages around water areas, one looks to be a nasty side hill, donkey trail.  there is a young lady in Hearst with her father guiding right from the companion. Ski

This exactly ... 

The group is wilderness guided tours out of hearst.  The nasty hill is just that .. you go down it and be careful. Only one person has ever gone back up it. 

• Sad 1

On 3/18/2022 at 8:51 AM, skidooboy said:

32 minutes ago, infernobuster said:

This exactly ... 

The group is wilderness guided tours out of hearst.  The nasty hill is just that .. you go down it and be careful. Only one person has ever gone back up it. 

I just checked out the footage - me thinks the angle of the hill is a lot worse in person & the footage does not do it justice.

Would like to see more the footage of this trip for sure!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stoney said:

I just checked out the footage - me thinks the angle of the hill is a lot worse in person & the footage does not do it justice.

Yep, the hill is alot worse than shown .. the problem is its icey doing down it, and even with brakes on you are still sliding. You have to hit the corner with the tree and maneuver around it .. 

Too old for that "stuff"...

• Like 2

Go Pros make all hills look flat.    I do a lot of dirt bike riding and even hills that are so steep you can hardly walk up look flat on a camera.   

That is a pretty steep side hill.    Look at the angle of the trees in the background compared to the ground.  

• Like 1

A) Left hand throttle (and mtn bar) takes care of that. (still working on my LH, but may get time this week...)

B] I was going to say that he just needs a bud to stand on the ski... and then he got one! LOL!

C) Hesitation was actually the issue. A fluid move would have made the corner in time.

Too old for that "stuff"...

Yeah, well I aint dead yet. I love bushwhackin'!

Go Pros make all hills look flat. 

Those 360's are somethin'!

A cpl yrs ago I was watching a vid about "Going up the waterfall".

Wasn't really a waterfall, but rather just a drainage...

But while watching the vid, the camera never missed anything, and I was wondering how the guy was always looking the right way (back at his bud) at just the right time?

I finally came to the conclussion that it must be some sort of panaramic view camera that was editable after the fact?

Then in the credits I saw "Go Pro 360".

YEP!

So, doo you make it all the way from Hearst to Moosonee in one pull?

That's gotta be aboot 300 miles?

Going that direction I think that you miss William's camp eh?

We started that trip back in '08, and burnt down two carbed sleds from the steady throttle in a lean spot while pulling a big sleigh.

Should have raised the needles one or two notches I guess...

We was planning on camping out overnight(s).

Decided I'd try it aggin when we all have fuel infected or 4 strokes.

On 3/18/2022 at 9:32 AM, volunteer2 said:

Just looking at the map      what is at the end of the L153 ?    and dont say the end lol

Looks like they just turned around at the crick.

(small river I guess - it looks to be aboot 40' accrost)

I wouldn't know why they made that short spur tho?

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8485611,-83.1831199,1795m/data=!3m1!1e3

Here is the vid.

I love this ride!

But watching a few vids like this tells me that I don't want a turbo.

I don't want to listen to those things pump'n dump all day.

My chums M11 was cool for a bit, but listening to 2 strokes with them, nah....

On 3/18/2022 at 4:52 PM, Spiderman said:

Only been there in the summer time - took the Polar Bear Express there.

Next time I go, it will be with snow :)

My wife and I did that train ride many decades ago, one of the most boring trips ever, just watching trees get smaller and smaller with very little scenery unlike Agawa Canyon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

My wife and I did that train ride many decades ago, one of the most boring trips ever, just watching trees get smaller and smaller with very little scenery unlike Agawa Canyon.

Have done both as well - no doubt Agawa is better scenery.

I wanted to go to Moosonee to see where I almost moved at one time as a child, and also had a friend working there at the time.

• Like 1