Polaris Sno Check today @ 5pm EST - Who's getting one?

Puggz

6 hours ago, stoney said:

Which options though?

l told the sales rep to surprise me . Just thrilled she called me , could not get the deposit down quick enough .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Maybe we can figure out a general area of what permit sales are for this year. 

I bought my permit within 6 minutes of sales opening in October. My permit # is  J002009. I'm going to assume its the 9th permit that was odered which would mean that the first permit ordered was J002001.

If we can find someone on the forum who ordered a permit late due to late delivery or whatever, and get their permit #  , then we assume the permits were numbered sequentially it should give us a ballpark figure.

13 minutes ago, brodhagenbullet said:

J092742 Jan 27

ordered Oct 01 - permit #J002009 (PLC)

ordered Oct 31 - permit #J049605 (stoney)

ordered Jan 27 - permit #J092742 (brodhagenbullet)

So somewhere around 100,000'ish permits perhaps.

9 minutes ago, stoney said:

ordered Oct 01 - permit #J002009 (PLC)

ordered Oct 31 - permit #J049605 (stoney)

ordered Jan 27 - permit #J092742 (brodhagenbullet)

So somewhere around 100,000'ish permits perhaps.

Almost 91,000 by Jan. 27th for  if our assumption is correct.

100,000 would certainly seem attainable.

• Like 1

I built the sled I want, and man is it something sweet.

$19,776.00.

Plus freight/pdi, taxes - ouchies

6 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Entry level XC is over 16K........, an EVO is over 10k ( for kids ).

Things have gotten stupid.

You will not grow sledding with that - you will keep the die hards - which you need - but show me a line of newbies dropping 20 + to get into sledding - it's not happening.

I was able to buy a brand new dirt bike, bike hauler, and outfit my son for just under $5,000.00 last summer. He can ride from April till November.

Could I buy him a brand new entry level sled, outfit him, and haul it around for the same?

No chance. 

Great line up - sleds look amazing and I am sure ride even better, but pricing is out of touch.

Spidi, you have provided a good overview of where snowmobiling affordability stands, and made a good comparison to off-road motorcycling. Snowmobiling has always done a good job of separating the 'haves' from the 'have nots'. I was a motorcyclist for 20+ years before buying my first sled, because of the economic realities of sledding. This was despite working part time at one of the largest Polaris dealers in the country, and constantly being offered sleds at wholesale prices to try to entice me onto the "team". Only once  I had firmly joined the 'haves' could I rationalize the expenditure of a sled, trailer and gear for such a limited season, pursuing a sport that required extensive trailering.

There are full sized entry level sleds available for about half the price of most of the new sleds being snow checked by OCers. The base SkiDoo MXZ with the non-etec 600EFI is not junk to be laughed at, but even a pair of those, a trailer, a tow vehicle and riding gear amounts to more than most young families can afford. We will remain a sport for the well off, but this is not new.

The new 4 stroke offering from Polaris will offer a less expensive, and user friendly sled to some newcomers, but its initial cost is far from inexpensive. For me, after five seasons on 4 strokes, the savings from not buying 2-stroke oil is starting to accumulate. I might be able to afford more bike trips this summer.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, wrightonalan said:

how did you find the 600

Scott, I am also curious about your XRS 600r impressions. Did you answer, and I just missed it? I know this is a bit off topic for the thread, but it all plays into the snow check phenomena. 

24 minutes ago, tricky said:

Scott, I am also curious about your XRS 600r impressions. Did you answer, and I just missed it? I know this is a bit off topic for the thread, but it all plays into the snow check phenomena. 

I will start a new thread to keep this one kind of on-track.   It was an interesting experience 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I will start a new thread to keep this one kind of on-track.   It was an interesting experience 

After you start the new thread, I will move these existing posting to that thread.

• Like 2

Just now, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Well?

I know   a bit sketchy but I have got verbal confirmation my name is on a sled I built     Maybe today get the email   And I had thought there would be alot  of chatter about the process  Doo dealers are doing     and Poo too   

27 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

I know   a bit sketchy but I have got verbal confirmation my name is on a sled I built     Maybe today get the email   And I had thought there would be alot  of chatter about the process  Doo dealers are doing     and Poo too   

What did you order?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Well?

19 minutes ago, scottyr said:

What did you order?

9 minutes ago, stoney said:

The excitement has caused a brain fart :)

Hey hey there now now  :ph34r:  I already posted what I ordered :icon_lolsign:   Stoney asked and I already posted it  :rotflmao:                Enduro 130 hp   :cheers:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, volunteer2 said:

Hey hey there now now  :ph34r:  I already posted what I ordered :icon_lolsign:   Stoney asked and I already posted it  :rotflmao:                Enduro 130 hp   :cheers:

Oh yes, that’s right….:right_on:

Brainfart…

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2022 at 11:22 PM, signfan said:

Will be interesting to see what fuel economy is like.  If it's on par with a 900 ace these sleds will do 350 km to a tank as they still have the 11.5 gallon fuel tank.  Haven't wore our 900 aces out yet, but this will create quite the dilemma when the time comes.  Gonna have to find a demo day next winter to go ride one.  With the best gauge, smart warmers, suspension on par with r-motion and now the 4 stroke it will come down to handling.  I hate the idea of having to replace all the accessories, but Polaris may finally have a superior product.

our 650 when driven kindly is on par with 900ace (within a liter or two) at fill-up. We were told last night the S4 is better than 650. I haven't had the opportunity to ride it, but I've heard good things. Hoping it works well next season.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2022 at 11:06 AM, Spiderman said:

Don't get confused in the wording.

"New" sled sales might be up - but if those aren't first time buyers - that's the same people buying or trading up, which means nothing for "growth".

Those trade in's are sold before they're even serviced Jamie, someone's buying them, and I'm doubting they're wholesaled and put in containers going to Africa  lol 

Covid has caused a huge amount of growth for sledding, likely the largest growth it's seen since the 90's if not more.  Just the price of clapped out used sleds alone is telling us that lol 

• Like 2

We are definitely seeing growth.  I'm curious on what demographic it is though and what that means in the long term.  Is this 60 year olds that will start getting out in 10 years or less?  Or are we getting 30 and 40 year olds buying into the sport?

15 minutes ago, Nutter said:

Those trade in's are sold before they're even serviced Jamie, someone's buying them, and I'm doubting they're wholesaled and put in containers going to Africa  lol 

Covid has caused a huge amount of growth for sledding, likely the largest growth it's seen since the 90's if not more.  Just the price of clapped out used sleds alone is telling us that lol 

So perhaps one of very few positives from this silliness we have called life for the last 24 months - sport growth !

20 hours ago, Spiderman said:

I built the sled I want, and man is it something sweet.

$19,776.00.

Plus freight/pdi, taxes - ouchies

Better hurry and get the deposit on that Poo before its is too late !

That Retro Cat with so few miles should lesson the blow to around 12K to 13K !!

• Like 1

I know we have strayed off topic a little, seems to happen now and then, but I will throw in my 2 cents.

Sleds sales appear to be a way up, used market is still crazy, or at least prices seem to be high weather or not they are actually fetching the asked price. But in my travels this year, and having a rail trail right beside the house, traffic certainly seems less than in other years in my opinion. I didn’t sit and count or anything  so I don’t have any data to back it up, but it’s definitely quieter at my place. Maybe everyone who had pipes got rid of them and I don’t hear them, no wing nights locally either and gas prices may be having an effect. Just my random observation.

Now back to our original broadcast.

Congrats to those getting spring orders done. That’s dedication.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nutter said:

If that is the case, and the registration and permit numbers support that, then it's great news.

Hopefully those that came in stay in and don't return to their pre Covid lifestyles and spending habits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Based on my encounters with people on the trail, I would say 40 to 60.....not seeing much "youth" (no offence to those in my age range :) )

Depends where you go. We were up a the Lac Taureau resort just after christmas and you wouldn't believe the number of young people on brand new sleds. All long tracks of one description or another and all with the latest grear (IE one pce suits, mission helmets, etc.)  Sure, this area is the Muskoka of Quebec and lots of $$ up there out of Montreal.  Also, whenever i'm in PQ, I never really see anything close to vintage. Everyone is riding new metal.

Regarding the market growth, I believe its more noticeable because the demand out weighs the supply.  Sure, I'm not impressed on spending north of $20k on a new sled (and not getting exactly what I wanted) but I'll be able to sell my AC for more than I paid for it in 2017.  Just try and order a new pickup truck, now that's painful.

• Like 2