Mattawa MA170

signfan

I missed this one today.  Meant to take it, but was the first down A112A out of Mattawa this morning and looped back around via the A.

The afternoon loop was supposed to include this MA170 but at a glance thought I saw a trail closed sign.  Stayed on A112A and took NB308, which I would skip next time, as the west end of this road is plowed down to ice. 

Surprised to see the groomer out so early (16:00) as there was lots of traffic out still, and all it took was a half dozen sleds to have it completely chewed and piled up.

Great 400k day after yesterday’s 450k day. Sadly heading back to Pembroke tomorrow, but all good things!

• Like 5

On 2/26/2022 at 8:49 PM, Toyman said:

I missed this one today.  Meant to take it, but was the first down A112A out of Mattawa this morning and looped back around via the A.

The afternoon loop was supposed to include this MA170 but at a glance thought I saw a trail closed sign.  Stayed on A112A and took NB308, which I would skip next time, as the west end of this road is plowed down to ice. 

Surprised to see the groomer out so early (16:00) as there was lots of traffic out still, and all it took was a half dozen sleds to have it completely chewed and piled up.

Great 400k day after yesterday’s 450k day. Sadly heading back to Pembroke tomorrow, but all good things!

Spent Saturday in the NRSA/Missing Link trails, they were beyond amazing.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I am coming to the area this Wednesday Mar 15th.  I am looking at taking the MA 170 west from the A112A to loop back to the Talon Lake and back down to HWY17.  Does anyone know the condition of the MA170.  Is there logging going on.  Thx 

The plan is to head North from hwy17 on BF201 then go east on A112A to Purdy Mica mine   From there I was thinking of seeing Birds Eye View and or coming back to see Redbridge Lookout which is off NB 308 and NB 300.  Any thoughts on these trails or which one is better to view.  Thx for the reply I appreciate it. 

The plan is to head North from hwy17 on BF201 then go east on A112A to Purdy Mica mine   From there I was thinking of seeing Birds Eye View and or coming back to see Redbridge Lookout which is off NB 308 and NB 304.  Any thoughts on these trails or which one is better to view.  Thx for the reply I appreciate it. 

NB308 is plowed as well.  It's the same road as MA170.  Its a major log road.  Probably 30' - 50' wide.  But there was no trail built along the edges of it.  Both lookouts are decent.  You'll have to see how the plowed roads are holding up to make a call.  You should be able to get to the Mattawa lookout without plowed roads.  If you try to go into town you hit plowed road again for the last few miles into Mattawa.  Have a great ride.

The northern portion of 308 was hateful last Thursday. If there hasn't been new snow since then, stay away.

Thanks for the feed back,,  much appreciated,,, heading there tomorrow.