North shore of Georgian Bay?

Zertrider

What are the trails like on the north shore of Georgian Bay? Spanish, Blind River, Thessalon, SSM.  Really tight and twisty? Or more flowing? Is a 300km day a long day there? Or???

Leaving in the AM and heading that way

Mostly tight and twisty unless you get on the pipeline or powerline sections of the OFSC route, which is more straight.  300 kms is doable in one day.  That is sort of our norm for a Saturday / Sunday ride in Spanish to Elliot Lake to Thessalon and Aubrey Falls.  I didn't see Elliot Lake on your list. I recommend you head up to Elliot Lake as part of your trip and can branch from there as to which route you want to take.  Do the lake runs between Spanish and the Elliot Lake trail as that is pretty nice.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

Mostly tight and twisty unless you get on the pipeline or powerline sections of the OFSC route, which is more straight.  300 kms is doable in one day.  That is sort of our norm for a Saturday / Sunday ride in Spanish to Elliot Lake to Thessalon and Aubrey Falls.  I didn't see Elliot Lake on your list. I recommend you head up to Elliot Lake as part of your trip and can branch from there as to which route you want to take.  Do the lake runs between Spanish and the Elliot Lake trail as that is pretty nice.

Thanks.

Looking to leave French River area then down to Killarney. Then next day hop across to Manitoulin, back to mainland  and west towards Thessalon. . Next day loop north and east.

• Like 3

So why do more people not ride this area? It was absolutely great. Trails were fantastic. Lots of different loops available.  Rode from Killarney across Georgian Bay. Neat to do, but don't need to do it again. But from Whitefish Falls to Blind River and up to Elliot Lake and back to Espanola is something I am going to do again. Over 3 days and I would guess we met maybe 30 sleds.

• Like 7

It is beautiful riding up there, not sure why it is not a real popular area. For a while it was hit and miss on snow, maybe that discouraged people from riding the area. It takes lots of snow to make some of those trails passable.

• Like 1

The north shores require snow from the south to get much.

It's the same on the north side of Superior.

And we seemed to have a LOT of wind out of the south this winter!

But it was always a cold wind. It was weird....

On 2/23/2022 at 7:05 PM, Zertrider said:

What are the trails like on the north shore of Georgian Bay? Spanish, Blind River, Thessalon, SSM.  Really tight and twisty? Or more flowing? Is a 300km day a long day there? Or???

Leaving in the AM and heading that way

Did you cross the channel from Gore Bay to Spanish? I noticed its been red on the OFSC map.

15 hours ago, Zertrider said:

So why do more people not ride this area? It was absolutely great. Trails were fantastic. Lots of different loops available.  Rode from Killarney across Georgian Bay. Neat to do, but don't need to do it again. But from Whitefish Falls to Blind River and up to Elliot Lake and back to Espanola is something I am going to do again. Over 3 days and I would guess we met maybe 30 sleds.

Why do others not ride this area?  Good Question. 

My colleagues and I are lucky to live in and ride District 13 (North of Lake Huron region).   We get our November riding fix north of Sault Ste. Marie, then move eastward to Aubrey Falls / Black Creek for December, then south to Elliot Lake / Blind River, Iron Bridge, Thessalon, Bruce Mines, Spanish and even Gore Bay for January-Feb-March, then reverse the process for April.  Traffic is light and on some days can usually count how many sleds you see all day on less than 2 hands.

Cross-Country riding is my particular interest in this region.

Glad you enjoyed your trip ZertRider.  Hope you make it back again someday.

swamp.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Did you cross the channel from Gore Bay to Spanish? I noticed its been red on the OFSC map.

No. Rods from Killarney to Little Current , then over to Whitefish Falls.

Wasn't going to do a big crossing that wasn't staked.

2 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

Why do others not ride this area?  Good Question. 

My colleagues and I are lucky to live in and ride District 13 (North of Lake Huron region).   We get our November riding fix north of Sault Ste. Marie, then move eastward to Aubrey Falls / Black Creek for December, then south to Elliot Lake / Blind River, Iron Bridge, Thessalon, Bruce Mines, Spanish and even Gore Bay for January-Feb-March, then reverse the process for April.  Traffic is light and on some days can usually count how many sleds you see all day on less than 2 hands.

Cross-Country riding is my particular interest in this region.

Glad you enjoyed your trip ZertRider.  Hope you make it back again someday.

swamp.jpg

We will be back. 

Oh  and breakfast at the 17 Restaurant in Blind River. Fairly priced and excellent.

And Rustys Cafe for dinner in Blind River was.......... interesting. Rusty is an interesting character.

• Like 2