Anyone here own property in Quebec and where would you buy?

Puggz

I'm actively looking for land or a decent cottage (Chalet) in Quebec.  Mostly for winter fun but possibly a few fishing trips in the warmer seasons.  Coming from the KW region I'm thinking the areas north of Pembroke to Ottawa.  North of Montreal might be better but its a much tougher commute because you have to go through the city.

Another thought I have is that a central location would allow me to trailer east and west to get the most out of the northern trail network.  I'm most familiar with the Mont Laurier and Lac Tareau areas although I've spent some time around Ville Marie. 

We most definitely want to end up in the mountains somewhere.

Thoughts?

P

5355775C-B845-463E-8867-5A49FBEF40EB.thumb.jpeg.51fde32e847adf7e565befb80a0b249c.jpegLast year did the blue loop out of Mont Laurier. 

70DCCC02-C84F-4D6C-8304-632A98A68939.jpeg.80424d8e89afc0133ce53b514643e06a.jpegThis year started from the upside down u west of Montebello & looped around the wildlife reserve, Tremblant & many other loops. 
This year was a much more variable ride of trails, scenery & skill capabilities of riding. 
Much more enjoyable to me than logging roads & seeing trees & hydro lines. 

6 minutes ago, Chickey6 said:

5355775C-B845-463E-8867-5A49FBEF40EB.thumb.jpeg.51fde32e847adf7e565befb80a0b249c.jpegLast year did the blue loop out of Mont Laurier. 

70DCCC02-C84F-4D6C-8304-632A98A68939.jpeg.80424d8e89afc0133ce53b514643e06a.jpegThis year started from the upside down u west of Montebello & looped around the wildlife reserve, Tremblant & many other loops. 
This year was a much more variable ride of trails, scenery & skill capabilities of riding. 
Much more enjoyable to me than logging roads & seeing trees & hydro lines. 

Thanks! I think this is a good reason to consider Mt Laurier as its in the middle of everything. Glad to hear you had a great trip :) Funny thing, most of the recommendation have stated that the best trails are "north" of ML.. I plan on one last trip in March so  I'm thinking about maybe checking out some of these.

• Like 1

If the main motivator is a sled retreat then think have to stay north of Mont Laurier if you want a lengthy season. 

Anything south of there is more like southern Ontario with unpredictable snow each year.

The Mont Laurier- Saint Ann du Lac- Chute Saint Phillipe area would be ideal.

Challenge is finding something close to the main roads.

If l was looking for property l would consider New Brunswick. North east of Edmunston towards Moose Valley and Saint Quentin. Beautiful trails and scenery in this area and property is still relatively cheap compared to Ontario and central Quebec. Can ride directly to the Gaspe from here also.

10 hour drive to Edmunston from Bowmanville.

16 minutes ago, Puggz said:

Thanks! I think this is a good reason to consider Mt Laurier as its in the middle of everything. Glad to hear you had a great trip :) Funny thing, most of the recommendation have stated that the best trails are "north" of ML.. I plan on one last trip in March so  I'm thinking about maybe checking out some of these.

“Best” trails are a matter of what you are looking for!!

The drastic variety of technicality & surrounding views made this far more enjoyable IMHO! 

Yes they usually lose snow sooner but our friends front yard still had snow banks up to my waist. & the grooming is incredible compared to ON.  

ML would be a perfect middle ground! 

Watch out for the Pappineau forest - a man, or in this case a group of sledders can get lost in there :)

Talking to a local about how cheap it was to buy camps/lodges in the area as you head up to Lake Saint Jean between La Tuque - however it sounded like all were on leased land.

I think they get a pretty good snow season most years.

A couple friends have cottages in the Gracefield area.   

Beautiful area.  Nice lakes.   Some good sled trails.   

4 hours ago, stoney said:

Watch out for the Pappineau forest - a man, or in this case a group of sledders can get lost in there :)

Talking to a local about how cheap it was to buy camps/lodges in the area as you head up to Lake Saint Jean between La Tuque - however it sounded like all were on leased land.

I think they get a pretty good snow season most years.

Heading up 355 towards Roberval tends to be a lower snow area.  Especially in the north more towards Roberval.  La Tuque gets a good winter almost all years.

9 minutes ago, signfan said:

Heading up 355 towards Roberval tends to be a lower snow area.  Especially in the north more towards Roberval.  La Tuque gets a good winter almost all years.

I was thinking just North West of La Tuque, not that far up to Roberval (not that it is that far really).

It seemed like we passed cabins on the way up trail 83 and talking to the folks at the lodge it sounded like the winter season for them was long & there busiest time of the the year, do not recall the exact months she mentioned, but she said during peak season they see 350 sleds that pass through there a day. 

Thanks everyone! I guess one point I should have made clear is that I'm from KW and not interested in anything over an 8-9 hour drive (with stops). If that wasn't the case, something further east would be best.  Also, I'm still expecting to trailer to the other various regions for new experiences. Just need a good central location with good local riding.

So far the challenge is that there's not much on the market right now being winter but I expect that things will p/u considerably in April.   Best thing would be to find an older place with great "bones" to gut and reno on a phased approach.  I would prefer to build new but with all the supply chain issues, I'm not sure how viable that is.

food for thought... having a "camp" or home in the snowbelt, is better for traveling once completely set up. you leave the sleds/gear there, unless they are being sold, repaired, or warranty issues. you can jump in any capable vehicle, and travel without a trailer. less stressful, and easier, faster traveling. case in point, we drove home from Dubreuilville to Lansing Michigan area, approx 450 miles total. the first 200 miles was after a huge storm, and was the slowest part. 90 miles north of our place in Michigan had a 50-75 mile swath that got hit with a huge ice storm. we still made it home in just shy of 8 hours. worst part is being that far away from the house is, when you have a break in, home break down, emergencies, etc... Ski 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skidooboy said:

food for thought... having a "camp" or home in the snowbelt, is better for traveling once completely set up. you leave the sleds/gear there, unless they are being sold, repaired, or warranty issues. you can jump in any capable vehicle, and travel without a trailer. less stressful, and easier, faster traveling. case in point, we drove home from Dubreuilville to Lansing Michigan area, approx 450 miles total. the first 200 miles was after a huge storm, and was the slowest part. 90 miles north of our place in Michigan had a 50-75 mile swath that got hit with a huge ice storm. we still made it home in just shy of 8 hours. worst part is being that far away from the house is, when you have a break in, home break down, emergencies, etc... Ski 

Agreed,

As we still have an adult child living in our house, the home front "should" be in good hands.  Our plan is to spend most or all of the winter at the Chalet.  I still do some consulting but COVID has taught us that a lot of this can be done remotely.  And its real estate after-all, like having money in the bank or maybe even better.

• Like 2

You might be better to look around the St Come area or a touch further east towards Shawinigan.  Problem with the laurentians is access.  If you're thinking you'll trailer out to other areas being up towards Mont Laurier means you're traveling south before you can head east for the majorityof your trips.  Only thing that is closer is Abitibi.  From KW you're a straight drive on the 401 to Montreal and then east on 40 vs having to make your way north through Ottawa and then up mountain roads.  Cost wise real estate may be worth more, but it puts you close to loops up into Lanaudiere, Maurice and the Laurentians.  You also get the south side of the river in easy driving distance when the weather co-operates.  Just some food for thought.  Best of luck with the purchase.

23 hours ago, signfan said:

You might be better to look around the St Come area or a touch further east towards Shawinigan.  Problem with the laurentians is access.  If you're thinking you'll trailer out to other areas being up towards Mont Laurier means you're traveling south before you can head east for the majorityof your trips.  Only thing that is closer is Abitibi.  From KW you're a straight drive on the 401 to Montreal and then east on 40 vs having to make your way north through Ottawa and then up mountain roads.  Cost wise real estate may be worth more, but it puts you close to loops up into Lanaudiere, Maurice and the Laurentians.  You also get the south side of the river in easy driving distance when the weather co-operates.  Just some food for thought.  Best of luck with the purchase.

Thanks, i'll give that some thought. St Zenon always seem to open early as well.