Halfway Haven

Turbo Doo

Why not just move trail into Shepard Morse road and groom it. Save 30 km’s. Most of local guys use that route anyways. Then traffic goes right by Moose horn. I am sure owner would love to have groomer base there and fuel tanks too.  That puts it about 85 km’s to half way from moose horn using this option. Doesn’t help wawa side unless this would allow them to go 20 miles more north or move that trail so it’s more direct and avoid halfway. 
I can’t remember one scenario where this road was ever plow red whole way anyways. 

11 hours ago, signfan said:

It's been done lots in other area.  200 litre skid tank solves the groomer fuel issue.  It's operator accommodations when they get into 12 plus hour trips that need to be overcome.  Also sled fuel.   Good to hear a plan is in the works.

I wouldn't be surprised that they may keep the cabin for the groomers available.

???

11 hours ago, 1049 said:

We have recently been notified that Halfway Haven will not be open for the 2023 Snowmobile Season. Rest assure for riders that we have been planning over the summer and fall for this possibility and do not anticipate any impact to our trails at this time. We remain hopeful that Halfway Haven will be back in future seasons and value their partnership over the years. We will provide more information as we get closer to the season. This is from the Algoma Snow Plan

Good to hear they don't anticipate any impact to their trails. Looking forward to seeing what the plan is. I'm looking forward to riding up there this year. Been a few years.

• Like 1

So in one month, we went from reports it would be open, to no it is not. I stand by my statement, I dont wish anyone ill will or bad luck in there, trying to do this but, there comes a time to say, enough is enough, and stop waiting, praying, counting on this place to ever open with the consistency of Steve and Gail's presence. 

I understand even the most modern 2 strokes probably wont be able to make this trail work for them between the 3 communities. I understand the logistics to try to reroute a trail of this length, in that terrain with the amount of logging, mining, and natural resource exploring going on in there. could you utilize existing roads in there? sure, until the loggers, miners, or the mnr want them back, then there we are left with no option, no trail, waiting for another road to open temporarily for us, or that one to be done being used. we have to stop this type of thinking and trail use. 

Michigan several years ago bought/leased most of their sled trails land access, to designate them as permanent, to prevent these disruptions. we need to get off the roads in northern ontario, or get the ones we do use, designated to the ofsc, atv, offroad use permanently.   

I know several of the back ground players personally, and I am waiting to hear the plans, options. we can all hope but, right now, I would plan on riding a different route, or trailering a bit further to start our adventures. good luck to all involved including the touring riders. Ski

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yep, I understand that. I've seen many groomers with fuel cans strapped on. I should have typed a bit more. What I was wondering was if they were going to use multiple jerry cans or something more exotic. Is there a spot between Searchmount and 1/2 way or C101D where ASP can get vehicle access to switch operators?

15 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Yep, I understand that. I've seen many groomers with fuel cans strapped on. I should have typed a bit more. What I was wondering was if they were going to use multiple jerry cans or something more exotic. Is there a spot between Searchmount and 1/2 way or C101D where ASP can get vehicle access to switch operators?

Not really. it is mostly wilderness and bush roads, plus the algoma, and agawa canyons. so unless, there is a plowed logging road in operation that crosses the trail, it is pretty difficult to switch drivers, or have a fuel stop set up in that area. not saying it cant be done but, there are some pretty large logistics to overcome. Ski 

• Like 1

Just like the cabin, the infrastructure is already there.

I would like to think that the clubs would be allowed to fill the tank(s) there pre-season and just keep track of who uses what/when.

They had been filling the diesel tank throughout the year, but maybe they could top up both tanks (the gasoline tank as well) with diesel to be able to make it through the season.

Would likely want to replace the 120VAC pump with 12VDC pump so that they could power from the groomer, but that would be all that would be needed. 

Even tho the lodge is closed and no-one around, I would hope that the clubs would still be allowed access.

I see no reason why not to.

There would be nothing gained for not to.

The clubs could fill, or partially fill, one of the LP tanks to have heat in the cabin when they come in as well.

Algoma Snow Plan said that they were prepared for this scenario, so ...

Maybe someone will start selling gas at Anjigami?

Personally, I expected them to just close the trail - like they had done previously.

But I s'pose that F was open to Dubreuil back then?

the last time this closed prior to season, the F trail was closed as well. cuts off wawa, unless people drive up, and start there. Ski

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ox said:

Just like the cabin, the infrastructure is already there.

I would like to think that the clubs would be allowed to fill the tank(s) there pre-season and just keep track of who uses what/when.

They had been filling the diesel tank throughout the year, but maybe they could top up both tanks (the gasoline tank as well) with diesel to be able to make it through the season.

Would likely want to replace the 120VAC pump with 12VDC pump so that they could power from the groomer, but that would be all that would be needed. 

Even tho the lodge is closed and no-one around, I would hope that the clubs would still be allowed access.

I see no reason why not to.

There would be nothing gained for not to.

The clubs could fill, or partially fill, one of the LP tanks to have heat in the cabin when they come in as well.

Algoma Snow Plan said that they were prepared for this scenario, so ...

Maybe someone will start selling gas at Anjigami?

Personally, I expected them to just close the trail - like they had done previously.

But I s'pose that F was open to Dubreuil back then?

Works until someone steals diesel or the propane leaving operator stranded.  

Uh ... this is in Canada.

No theft here...

???

OK, so it's not Hearst, Hornepayne, Revelstoke, or Golden...

----

OK, so put a crank handle pump on the diesel.

Crooks are lazy eh?

---------

After talking to my LP guy recently, "stealing" LP isn't all that easy.

Especially if you don't have the proper stem in the tank, and you're not gunna install it when full!

You can let it go out into the air, but to actually git it into something to scurry it away in bulk would require a bit of work, and you are gunna leave tracks for 60 klicks. 

A cpl'a game cams in the yard, and maybe a cpl more on the Loop Lake Rd, and a fella should be down to a reasonable risk?

On 10/26/2022 at 3:16 PM, scottyr said:

Using the ITG, it is 260kms from Chapleau to Wawa staying on the trail.    

You will need a full Linq can to do that route.    I dont know any sleds other than 900ACE NA that can get that range?

On 10/26/2022 at 6:43 PM, volunteer2 said:

and it kinda sucks the G4 has 36 litre tank  and the XS had 40 litre    Oh well first world problems  :icon_lolsign:

That's why I am on my second XS chassis 900 ACE NA. Sure don't worry anymore about being the first to run out of fuel. Our group always used to have a couple of sleds(Polaris and Yamaha 2-strokes) run out on the long stretches, but it was all just part of the fun siphoning gas from the 'Haves" to the 'Have nots" using an empty oil bottle. Don't miss that taste at all. Won't ever be buying a sled that won't go at least 240 km. Twice a day is plenty to be stopping for fuel. If my current sled stays out of the trees, and goes 40K km, it will be time to quit. It's been a good long run already.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2022 at 9:05 AM, skidooboy said:

Michigan several years ago bought/leased most of their sled trails land access, to designate them as permanent, to prevent these disruptions. we need to get off the roads in northern ontario, or get the ones we do use, designated to the ofsc, atv, offroad use permanently.   

I know several of the back ground players personally, and I am waiting to hear the plans, options. we can all hope but, right now, I would plan on riding a different route, or trailering a bit further to start our adventures. good luck to all involved including the touring riders. Ski

There is some complications to permanent agreements on this land base  between Wawa and Sault because not all of it is crown land. I admit I don't know all the weaving thru the various townships the OFSC trails go , but many of the townships east of the rail is private land and the get sold off between American and some Canadian corporations depending on timber values and needs. So getting permanent land use agreements not interrupted by logging or land sales might be one wildcard to this OFSC opportunity . It was probably a lot simpler when all that Land was owned by CNR.....but that changed 15 or 20 yrs ago. 

14 hours ago, Panther340 said:

There is some complications to permanent agreements on this land base  between Wawa and Sault because not all of it is crown land. I admit I don't know all the weaving thru the various townships the OFSC trails go , but many of the townships east of the rail is private land and the get sold off between American and some Canadian corporations depending on timber values and needs. So getting permanent land use agreements not interrupted by logging or land sales might be one wildcard to this OFSC opportunity . It was probably a lot simpler when all that Land was owned by CNR.....but that changed 15 or 20 yrs ago. 

In michigan they didnt just get LUP's, they bought the properties easement. no one can take the trail away from the dnr (your mnr), now. Ski

• Like 1

Warm up sheds " came to mind when I read this. As in - " just in case ". Appreciate all that these clubs are doing. Hopefully the provision of these sheds can become a provincial project ( not kidding, it's a tourism and health and safety matter ).. Somehow passed on to users in Ontario. 

Thanks again to the club's working on this north western Ontario project.

• Like 2