Halfway Haven

Turbo Doo

37 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Things are changing in Quebec like Ontario. I was reading a post on QR not long ago from a guy doing a bike trip on the north shore of Gaspe. Basically saying that some regular sled stops have posted that they won't be open this winter, some are closed certain days now or have shortened open hours due to lack of employees.  Sounds like trip planners this winter may have to be on the phone more checking out food/fuel availability and  maybe pre-booking accommodations if you haven't in the past.

I guess not surprising, but I think it is definitely a prerequisite now to call or book ahead…..no more pulling into towns and spinning the wheel on finding a place to stay for the night. 
Last year when I was booking, many places I called had no answers and no call backs. 

On 9/21/2022 at 12:33 PM, stoney said:

So, what do ya think - $6 a litre too....lol.

For guys crossing the border in the Sault - paying the Halfway haven premium is worth it. Opens up a lot of great loops. Normally buy it twice from Halfway - once at the beginning of the trip and once at the end, on the way back to the truck at Searchmont.

Reading some of the other posts on here - I'm not aware of some of the alternatives mentioned. We started riding in Ontario the year before Halfway reopened with Sean. That year we started in Wawa, and I much prefer to start in Searchmont. It's a couple more hours of driving time each way, and on the last day of the trip I'd be nervous about any storms coming through that would make it difficult to drive back down. 

Really enjoy riding in northern Ontario. May try Quebec this year. Did that once in 2003.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2022 at 4:30 PM, Hoosier said:

For guys crossing the border in the Sault - paying the Halfway haven premium is worth it. Opens up a lot of great loops. Normally buy it twice from Halfway - once at the beginning of the trip and once at the end, on the way back to the truck at Searchmont.

Reading some of the other posts on here - I'm not aware of some of the alternatives mentioned. We started riding in Ontario the year before Halfway reopened with Sean. That year we started in Wawa, and I much prefer to start in Searchmont. It's a couple more hours of driving time each way, and on the last day of the trip I'd be nervous about any storms coming through that would make it difficult to drive back down. 

Really enjoy riding in northern Ontario. May try Quebec this year. Did that once in 2003.

Only other option is to ride east to Elliot lake but still can’t get north of their with current trail system without half way heaven. Since it’s about 110

miles from abey falls to half way still. Still some run out of gas on a normal day trying to do those 110 miles since terrian is difficult.  Have to go to Sudbury then go north but loops not possible on west end without half way again. 
It is truly a much needed link. 

3516EF9F-CEFD-4C7D-92B8-1C928B39E882.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Only other option is to ride east to Elliot lake but still can’t get north of their with current trail system without half way heaven. Since it’s about 110

miles from abey falls to half way still. Still some run out of gas on a normal day trying to do those 110 miles since terrian is difficult.  Have to go to Sudbury then go north but loops not possible on west end without half way again. 
It is truly a much needed link. 

3516EF9F-CEFD-4C7D-92B8-1C928B39E882.jpeg

Winter of 2018 when I last toured area with my dad. We did big loop and it was fourth week of march. 

• Like 1

One thing that is hurting places like HH and Base Camp is that sleds are getting better and better on fuel than they did 20 years ago and with the popularity of Linq style cans a lot of guys can make these loops without getting fuel or if they need to stop, buying very little fuel.     I remember back even in the early 2000s, all you could safely get is 100 miles out of a tank of fuel.    Even Cochrane to Kap required a splash of fuel in SRF.    Now, 120miles/200kms is very easy to do with a modern sled.  

With guys not needing fuel at all or just needing 10 litres to complete the loop it is making it really hard for these outposts to justify staying open.    The last time I was at HH, which was the day it closed for the season last year, I topped up my sled even though I know I could have gotten away with 10 litres.   

That being said, I used my Linq can to finish the Abitibi Canyon loop the same weekend when the guy told me $60 for 10L of fuel.    

• Like 14

20 hours ago, scottyr said:

One thing that is hurting places like HH and Base Camp is that sleds are getting better and better on fuel than they did 20 years ago and with the popularity of Linq style cans a lot of guys can make these loops without getting fuel or if they need to stop, buying very little fuel.     I remember back even in the early 2000s, all you could safely get is 100 miles out of a tank of fuel.    Even Cochrane to Kap required a splash of fuel in SRF.    Now, 120miles/200kms is very easy to do with a modern sled.  

With guys not needing fuel at all or just needing 10 litres to complete the loop it is making it really hard for these outposts to justify staying open.    The last time I was at HH, which was the day it closed for the season last year, I topped up my sled even though I know I could have gotten away with 10 litres.   

That being said, I used my Linq can to finish the Abitibi Canyon loop the same weekend when the guy told me $60 for 10L of fuel.    

Last time we were at halfway, I thought it was $2/liter, roughly double gas station prices at the time but reasonable given what it takes to get it there. I could be wrong though.

I can see how a group can get through there with needing to buy gas nowadays but I'd guess the groomers still need it. Not sure they can make it work long-term

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Last time we were at halfway, I thought it was $2/liter, roughly double gas station prices at the time but reasonable given what it takes to get it there. I could be wrong though.

I can see how a group can get through there with needing to buy gas nowadays but I'd guess the groomers still need it. Not sure they can make it work long-term

Gas was $3.25 at HH when we were there and I didnt feel like I was being raped considering gas at the pumps was $2.00-$2.10 everywhere else that weekend.   

The 6 bucks/litre at Basecamp pissed me off though.   

• Like 5

7 hours ago, scottyr said:

Gas was $3.25 at HH when we were there and I didnt feel like I was being raped considering gas at the pumps was $2.00-$2.10 everywhere else that weekend.   

The 6 bucks/litre at Basecamp pissed me off though.   

Was this last year? We haven't been to Halfway since the year before covid started. We rode in Canada about a week before covid season 1 started but we did the RAP tour instead of our normal park in Searchmont and head north and see what we find tour.

• 4 weeks later...

[I think that it was prolly in this thread]

You guys (or at least Scott) have mentioned several times aboot running straight through from Searchmont to Chapleau.

I always ass_u_med that they were pulling off the hydro on the north end of the 10 mile loop, which we always used to refer to as the Pineal Lake turn-off, but since that's not really there anymore, I see that the sign says "Chapleau" now. And I guess that many likely have still used that route after filling up at Halfway.

But I was looking at the Interactive Map and I see that they are peeling off the hydro at Toll Creek now and heading to Chap. That may save a few klicks I s'pose, but boy, that still looks like a LONG ways back out to the Hwy! I trust that you can git gas on 129 as soon as you pop out there, and not have to wait 'till you git all the way into town?

Even with today's sleds, I don't see that being all that viable without at least a 2'er on the back, especially in case of fresh snow!

???

Using the ITG, it is 260kms from Chapleau to Wawa staying on the trail.    

You will need a full Linq can to do that route.    I dont know any sleds other than 900ACE NA that can get that range?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scottyr said:

You will need a full Linq can to do that route.    I dont know any sleds other than 900ACE NA that can get that range?

and it kinda sucks the G4 has 36 litre tank  and the XS had 40 litre    Oh well first world problems  :icon_lolsign:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scottyr said:

Last time I went thru we took sheppard Morse road that goes by the moose horn lodge. It’s only ploughed for a short distance. Rest is a wide well tracked un groomed road essentially. Saved 30 km’s off trip. Nice short cut for when in area. 😀

The road name that you used is likely at the east end.

The south road at the hydro is Toll Creek Rd.

Not sure the name of the other one north of the Cow.

Either way, they both meet up at Pineal Lake anyway.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Moose+Horn+Lodge/@47.5027567,-83.706633,5886m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!3m7!1s0x0:0x405213c873e57326!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d47.7050407!4d-83.4220235

1 hour ago, volunteer2 said:

and it kinda sucks the G4 has 36 litre tank  and the XS had 40 litre    Oh well first world problems  :icon_lolsign:

4 hours ago, scottyr said:

From what i understand here the solution to this problem is to find a riding buddy with a 900 ace renegade.  Make them carry the extra fuel and enjoy the seat time to its fullest on the crispy 2 stroke😎lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Ox said:

The road name that you used is likely at the east end.

The south road at the hydro is Toll Creek Rd.

Not sure the name of the other one north of the Cow.

Either way, they both meet up at Pineal Lake anyway.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Moose+Horn+Lodge/@47.5027567,-83.706633,5886m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!3m7!1s0x0:0x405213c873e57326!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d47.7050407!4d-83.4220235

You can see Sheppard Morse Road on the ITG if you bring it in enough. C101D actually follows it for a short piece but SMR is marked a long way on the road as it heads to Sheppard Lake which connects to Pineal Lake. You can follow the roads on the ITG all the way over to C101D at Montreal River Road on the ITG.

• Like 2

Got it - so he wasn't on any marked trail then.

• Like 1

We have recently been notified that Halfway Haven will not be open for the 2023 Snowmobile Season. Rest assure for riders that we have been planning over the summer and fall for this possibility and do not anticipate any impact to our trails at this time. We remain hopeful that Halfway Haven will be back in future seasons and value their partnership over the years. We will provide more information as we get closer to the season. This is from the Algoma Snow Plan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

hopefully it is a fuel mileage reasonable solution. there will be almost no way to start from the soo, heyden, goulais, with that kind of trail mileage, and make it to Wawa, or Chapleau.

not sure if you could make it to Chapleau from Aubrey Falls/Black Creek outfitters or not. when the old F trail was close to hwy 129, that run was 110 miles (miles not km's). I am doubting anyone can make it from Searchmont to Wawa without a large fuel caddy. it was 90 miles to halfway from Searchmont, and another 70-75 miles to Wawa.

It will still be a good poke to go from Chapleau to halfway (60 miles), and then on to Wawa (another 70-75 miles). not many sleds will do that in good conditions, let alone fresh snow, super warm or cold, that would affect mileage. cant wait to see the solution. Ski

50 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

hopefully it is a fuel mileage reasonable solution. there will be almost no way to start from the soo, heyden, goulais, with that kind of trail mileage, and make it to Wawa, or Chapleau.

not sure if you could make it to Chapleau from Aubrey Falls/Black Creek outfitters or not. when the old F trail was close to hwy 129, that run was 110 miles (miles not km's). I am doubting anyone can make it from Searchmont to Wawa without a large fuel caddy. it was 90 miles to halfway from Searchmont, and another 70-75 miles to Wawa.

It will still be a good poke to go from Chapleau to halfway (60 miles), and then on to Wawa (another 70-75 miles). not many sleds will do that in good conditions, let alone fresh snow, super warm or cold, that would affect mileage. cant wait to see the solution. Ski

Wonder how they will handle groomer fuel requirements.

• Thanks 2

I have always wondered why they didn't just pull a sled with an old groomer or whatnot, in stead of plow all of that?

Even if they had to track up a Suburban for groceries/garbage/supplies/people, that would be way cheaper than the current option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Many clubs in the far north carry a few cans on the groomer themselves to get that splash to get them back to town or a serviceable road crossing. going to be a challenge for sure. Ski

• Like 1

Well, one thing to keep in  mind, that trail was groomed all the way through - long before there was a Halfway.

Now they did run up Point Lake Rd back then, which would have shaved off almost 10 miles before you got to the hydro line.

And if Ranger North git's much worse, the Soo Trailbreakers might be opening that one (Point) back up one day. 

(especially if they start logging in there aggin one day.)

That road (Ranger N) is bad! And tight! 

I've seen it on the Domtar, and now on the Ranger North as well, boy, it just doesn't take long at all for the bush to reclaim a road!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

It's been done lots in other area.  200 litre skid tank solves the groomer fuel issue.  It's operator accommodations when they get into 12 plus hour trips that need to be overcome.  Also sled fuel.   Good to hear a plan is in the works.