Halfway Haven

Turbo Doo

On 2/27/2022 at 8:36 AM, Re:Leaf said:

When I took groomer training at the Heart of Ontario snowmobile club I was told that we could get paid to groom or volunteer. 

No volunteers get paid here! Groomer operators who are heavy machine operators in Summer do!

29 minutes ago, Muskoka1 said:

No volunteers get paid here! Groomer operators who are heavy machine operators in Summer do!

Do you mean that if you are not a "heavy equipment operator in the summer" but have all the other required qualifications, you wouldn't be paid? If that is the case, would a retired heavy equipment operator not be paid to run your groomers?

I'm asking because I've never before heard of the requirement to be a heavy equipment operator in the summer in order to get paid for the job.

I am thinking there was some confusion - a groomer operator is paid when they groom the trail but if by chance they also volunteer for signage, trail prep, etc....that is not a paid position for those activities, just the grooming part.

Where it might get a little complicated I am thinking is when a sled with a drag is used to groom a small feeder trail, does that count as grooming hours and a paid activity (grooming) - I am thinking this has been discussed in the past, but I do not recall how this situation plays out......I think the answer is no, does not count towards grooming hours.

Believe using industrial groomers owned by the OFSC are counted as grooming hours and therefore paid.

Club owned snowmobiles and drags, paid for by fundraising, are not counted as grooming hours and not paid.

Groomer operators is a mix throughout the province. Some clubs/districts would have more paid operators. Others would be more volunteer based. 

There are pros and cons to both systems. 

The current structure relies on volunteers and the return benefit is a better riding experience for all. No system is ever perfect.  

Back to the HH topic.    I am not sure how common they are up there but I was quite surprised to have a big Cougar (the animal type) jump out in front of me and run into the bush across the trail.   I have never seen one in the wild before.   

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, scottyr said:

Back to the HH topic.    I am not sure how common they are up there but I was quite surprised to have a big Cougar (the animal type) jump out in front of me and run into the bush across the trail.   I have never seen one in the wild before.   

And a cougar (animal type) is on track ... :rotflmao:

I have always heard people talk about seeing them, usually turns into people suggesting they do not live in these parts (Ontario) ...... sure would scare the crap out of me to see one, especially if it decided to stop and investigate vs. carrying on.

Pretty cool to hear about it though.

Well it was just north of HH on the trail to Wawa.   :)  

It was just standing in the bush staring at me.    I wasnt stopping for a photo or anything like that.   

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, scottyr said:

It was just standing in the bush staring at me.    I wasnt stopping for a photo or anything like that.   

649C0A83-A8FB-45DE-9802-CBA1CEF693D4.png

• Like 1

I’m sure it probably was a Lynx I’ve seen around 15 over the years pretty cool animal 

I have seen a lot of Lynx    This one had a big LONG tail.    It was a cougar for sure.      

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

Even the Ontario MNR doesn't know if they really exist in Ontario.   Incredible animal, as all wild cats are.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/mountain-lion-cougar

• Thanks 1

Well, maybe....

I seen a bobcat on our square a cpl years ago.

Looked just like a big cat, but much shorter and bobtailed. (from my vantage point driving down the road)

It didn't have the "lynx" look to it like most bobcats, but I have seen pics of a bobcat that looked like this, so...

But there have been some sightings in our area of a big cat with a long tail.

My buddy (>70) hasn't seen it, but he said that his wife and son both say that they have seen a long tail. 

But why are we not seeing reports from game cams? Hmmmm..... ???

On the flip side, I saw a lynx mounted in a DNR office in Colorado, and I asked if it was local, and they said that it was hit on the road up around Leadville. (north central part of the state) Typically they are not seen south of the 49th.

20 hours ago, scottyr said:

I saw two wolves on the trail probably halfway between HH and Searchmont. One jumped off and the other ran ahead of me for a long time. Things were huge. Scary moment.

We saw a wolf at sunset , in Sudbury,  a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't in a hurry to get off the trail. Moved aside and sized us up. 

We completed the Wolf loop and Moose loop. Saw both animals ( pair of moose ).

No cougars 😁

As for far north sledding, needs to exist. Trails need to stay open.,If it was an ofsc survey question vis-a-vis staying in the sport - it " matters". Extends the season, if nothing else.

Thanks for terrain and logistic answers, group.

• Like 3

On 2/28/2022 at 12:15 PM, scottyr said:

I have seen a lot of Lynx    This one had a big LONG tail.    It was a cougar for sure.      

I’ve seen lots of lynx between searchmont and Hearst. I also definitely saw a cougar just south of wawa several years ago. Easy to tell the difference. 

2 minutes ago, J Feces said:

I’ve seen lots of lynx between searchmont and Hearst. I also definitely saw a cougar just south of wawa several years ago. Easy to tell the difference. 

The footprints in the snow were huge.    I am 100% convinced it was a Cougar / Mountain Lion.   

• Like 2

On 2/28/2022 at 9:48 PM, Hoosier said:

I saw two wolves on the trail probably halfway between HH and Searchmont. One jumped off and the other ran ahead of me for a long time. Things were huge. Scary moment.

Had a wolf just N. of Temiscamingue Que. jump off trail/bare it's fangs @ us as we passed then jump back on trail after last rider past. We all wondered what would happen if you broke down/ran out of gas & he came along!

16 hours ago, Muskoka1 said:

Had a wolf just N. of Temiscamingue Que. jump off trail/bare it's fangs @ us as we passed then jump back on trail after last rider past. We all wondered what would happen if you broke down/ran out of gas & he came along!

How deep is the snow?

Saw a big cougar on Thursday night in New Liskeard at Ali’s.

She was running with a couple others in a small pack. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lynx on the side of road going home from 3 days back country at @valentinefarmsbnb by Chapleau. Saw two moose on the way up to Chapleau.PXL_20220228_134932808.thumb.jpg.8cebbc96ab719600ef8d9fe022739da9.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Wildman said:

How deep is the snow?

5 feet-most I've seen in over 25 yrs. up there!