Halfway Haven

Turbo Doo

The amount of snow in that area right now is absolutely crazy.  The Environment Canada Snow-map is now showing snow-depth at 7 feet deep in the higher elevations of that region. 

Trying the keep the access road open from highway 101 to bring in fuel is just economically not viable. 

It is a whole different world up there.

• Like 1

Sucks this happened, but as sledders and we see a place close shop due to too much snow - is that a good thing or bad thing :)

Place I am sure could use new blower or tractor or tractor with a blower, that have a hefty price tag I am sure and an extra body here or there to help out, but no ones knows how much snow will fall or how much business will come.

I am not sure how this place or other similar lodges do it in ON, similar place in QC have team A that comes in for x number of days, they leave & team B comes in for x number of days, they leave, rinse and repeat.

Usually see the folks working long hours everyday the entire time they are there, but I have not ran into anyone that is not happy doing it either - they are having fun.

Maybe totally different kind of folks, no idea.

I can't wrap my head around how it could or would be viable at any given time.

Anyone trying to make a go of it is mostly likely doing it for others.

Kudos to them

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Sad state of affairs.  The Grader issue has been ongoing for a while,  so it's far from unseen issue's.  Too bad...I understand about maintaining the road access takes work, and it gets incredibly harder the more snow there is, but but, this should have been in a plan when the new owners took over...

The grader I saw a picture of last fall held antique status and was only equipped with the road grading blade. There was no wing harness on it. If they were trying to use it as it was in the picture, I can't imagine how it would ever get through that much snow let alone move it off the road.

I hope they can get something figured out so that it can open again in the future.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stoney said:

Sucks this happened, but as sledders and we see a place close shop due to too much snow - is that a good thing or bad thing :)

Place I am sure could use new blower or tractor or tractor with a blower, that have a hefty price tag I am sure and an extra body here or there to help out, but no ones knows how much snow will fall or how much business will come.

I am not sure how this place or other similar lodges do it in ON, similar place in QC have team A that comes in for x number of days, they leave & team B comes in for x number of days, they leave, rinse and repeat.

Usually see the folks working long hours everyday the entire time they are there, but I have not ran into anyone that is not happy doing it either - they are having fun.

Maybe totally different kind of folks, no idea.

Tractor blower would blow that snow back 30 to 45 feet no problem but fuel use is high on blowers compared to plows. To move all that snow for a fuel truck is an enormous task and expensive. I have used close to 300 dollars in fuel keeping one km of drive way open. Can’t imagine doing 60 km’s with amount of snow they have. Go broke just moving snow. 

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The grader I saw a picture of last fall held antique status and was only equipped with the road grading blade. There was no wing harness on it. If they were trying to use it as it was in the picture, I can't imagine how it would ever get through that much snow let alone move it off the road.

I hope they can get something figured out so that it can open again in the future.

A few years ago when we were there.  The wing fell off. Over a bank I was told.  Asked if they wanted help to get it out.  Deal with it in the spring was the answer..

Hopefully it ca  stay open in the future. 

Puts  a dim light on snowmobile tours in my mind...

I was there yesterday.     The D trail to Wawa is absolutely destroyed.    2 ft whoops for 120kms.   I am not sure how much time it would take to repair it anyhow?  

I am sitting in Hearst right now.   There are a bunch of Americans trying to figure out how they are getting back to SSM.   

5E8B773A-8522-4CEA-98A2-7980F3D42ACA.jpeg

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

I can't wrap my head around how it could or would be viable at any given time.

Anyone trying to make a go of it is mostly likely doing it for others.

Kudos to them

I'm with ya. I don't see how anyone can make a go of this place.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I was there yesterday.     The D trail to Wawa is absolutely destroyed.    2 ft whoops for 120kms.   I am not sure how much time it would take to repair it anyhow?  

I am sitting in Hearst right now.   There are a bunch of Americans trying to figure out how they are getting back to SSM.   

5E8B773A-8522-4CEA-98A2-7980F3D42ACA.jpeg

Easy, extend your trip and ride the BIG loop back..

if you watch their media stuff, they have been banking on getting (begging) grants, and help from the canadian, ontario govt but, the owners are not canadian. highly doubting your govt is going to give money to non residents, to send to earnings back to the states.  (nor should they, in my thinking)

personally, I have been there, and done that with halfway, and understand the majority cant tour through there without a fuel stop in there. but, the way the place, is built, ran, managed terribly. and has opened, and closed more times than I care to remember, leaving customers, and the grooming clubs that service them in the lurch... I would not send another dime to that place without a guarantee to the clubs, their fuel bills were paid for the whole season, regardless, if the business stays open for the whole season. 

the ofsc, clubs, district and the sledders have banked, planned, and paid good money to keep that trail viable, for them. it is time to move on. the best thing that could happen is, you get the govt to put a transformer station near the site, get them off generated power, and onto the power grid, then get a family, or group, to completely rebuild the facilities, planning on living there, and when people show up they do, when they dont, they dont. just like Steve and Gale did.  

if you cant do that, dont even try, Ski

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

if you watch their media stuff, they have been banking on getting (begging) grants, and help from the canadian, ontario govt but, the owners are not canadian. highly doubting your govt is going to give money to non residents, to send to earnings back to the states.  (nor should they, in my thinking)

personally, I have been there, and done that with halfway, and understand the majority cant tour through there without a fuel stop in there. but, the way the place, is built, ran, managed terribly. and has opened, and closed more times than I care to remember, leaving customers, and the grooming clubs that service them in the lurch... I would not send another dime to that place without a guarantee to the clubs, their fuel bills were paid for the whole season, regardless, if the business stays open for the whole season. 

the ofsc, clubs, district and the sledders have banked, planned, and paid good money to keep that trail viable, for them. it is time to move on. the best thing that could happen is, you get the govt to put a transformer station near the site, get them off generated power, and onto the power grid, then get a family, or group, to completely rebuild the facilities, planning on living there, and when people show up they do, when they dont, they dont. just like Steve and Gale did.  

Well said Ski. Enough Excuses. Doo it right,  or shut it down for good. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Wow! Thats going to screw planned rides for a lot of people.

We have booked for big loop on March 12th for 8 days. Yesterday night I spend almost 2 hours to deture and rebook all hotels. It is what it is 

Sad to see when business cant keep running and no any options to solve it 

It's great to have some emergency funds in OFSC to help in that case 

There is more to this story for sure.    The staff was all happy and chatting with us on Wed.   Making a big dinner that night.   Every room was booked.    

Something changed in less than 24 hours.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Pay cheques bounced 🤣

thats actually what I thought originally. 

Spent quite a bit of time there when it first re-opened when Sean was running it. Never was there for the original operator. I think that grader was a short-term fix that never got upgraded. And they had plans to get a bigger gas tank so they could get more gas in each time they cleared the road for it.

Hope they can figure out a way to make it work. The building itself needs a lot of work or a total rebuild too. From other conversations on here I know a lot of people are skeptical but losing it would be a big hit to the trail system for those of us coming over the border from MI.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Spent quite a bit of time there when it first re-opened when Sean was running it. Never was there for the original operator. I think that grader was a short-term fix that never got upgraded. And they had plans to get a bigger gas tank so they could get more gas in each time they cleared the road for it.

Hope they can figure out a way to make it work. The building itself needs a lot of work or a total rebuild too. From other conversations on here I know a lot of people are skeptical but losing it would be a big hit to the trail system for those of us coming over the border from MI.

Road is a tough one. That’s allot of road to open for once a week delivery for supplies to get in.  Almost need to rebuild in a better location that has easy power and road access. 

Maybe a club could groom the 60km road and call it a trail,problem solved,assume groomer can make 120km round trip?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Losing it would suck for sure, but expecting someone to go bankrupt for others is crazy.

If you have any business acumen, it's pretty hard to look at it objectively and see how you could possibly make a living from running it - I would think it's passion that drives it - only to come to reality after taking a good go at it.

13 hours ago, skidooboy said:

Curious, when you state the above, is that something that I assume the OFSC stepped up and did to keep this open with hope  things would work out?

Otherwise, the above really makes sense - stop the bleeding, no matter the cost and look for the "right" fix......if that is possible.

Sounded like things were on track with an abrupt change - so something went a miss that appears to not even cause or see the owner reach out for some help to overcome the hurtle, at least to complete the season, that is really too bad seeing as I am thinking mid Feb to mid/end of Mar for that area is likely the busiest for them.