Halfway Haven

Turbo Doo

Tough situation to be in - wanting the business, but with too much snow, making it difficult.

Sounds like your trip, and others taking off this week, will be a good one though condition wise :right_on: 

We are leaving tomorrow for Chapleau to sled back country for 3 days. Looking forward to all the fresh snow!

• Like 1

It was a tough go though there yesterday lots of drifting snow 

I am sitting in Chapleau right now on our way to Wawa.  I am trying to get an update from HH.   

35 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I am sitting in Chapleau right now on our way to Wawa.  I am trying to get an update from HH.   

I don’t know how much snow they got last night there but I talked to Patrick from Dubreuilville at 8 last night and it was snowing like crazy there

Snowed a lot in Chapleau.    I talked to the guys at HH and he said he has enough gas for us.    This was supposed to be our short day but it’s going to be a tough haul to Wawa.  

• Like 2

we got hammered last night, in Dub, Wawa area.  groomers cant keep up. 6-8" every day since sunday, with non stop high winds. non stop shoveling and plowing. Ski

dub 223 back.jpg

dub 223 front.jpg

• Like 6

In Wawa right now.   Tough day from Chapleau.    Tons of snow.    Getting stuck on the trail and the the trail that went from HH to Wawa was whooped out like an SX track.    But we made it.  

And today was supposed to be our short/easy day.  😭

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

There is up to 5 feet of snow on the ground in some places between Sault Ste. Marie and Wawa, in the interior.  Many places at 4 feet.  Good luck.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

There is up to 5 feet of snow on the ground in some places between Sault Ste. Marie and Wawa, in the interior.  Many places at 4 feet.  Good luck.

Neat article from Stokely Cross country lodge and trails received by email this morning -

Most every evening in the Goulais River area there are snow squall warnings. And every morning all three groomers are out again refreshing the 100 km of Stokely ski trails. So if you are looking for snow and great skiing Stokely is the place.

Our groomers are telling us that there are easily 6 feet of snow on the ground. Yesterday two skiers stepped off the trail to let the groomer go by and they were buried in snow only to be rescued by the groomer.

The ski resort extended their season due to all the snow.

yes, that is a transport. snow banks on the side of hwy 17, between Wawa, and the Soo, (closer to Wawa, at Mingimungshing turn off). it is like driving in a tunnel up there. Ski

hwy 17 224 semi.jpg

IMMEDIATE NOTICE
Halfway Haven Lodge to close for the remainder of the Snowmobile Season
Due to unforeseen circumstances, we regret to announce the immediate closure of The Halfway Haven Lodge for the remainder of the snowmobile season, effective February 24th, 2022.
There will be NO FUEL, ACCOMODATIONS OR FOOD SERVICES available, therefore we do not advise travelling the snowmobile trails to the lodge for safety reasons.
Our staff has worked tirelessly to provide a service for the snowmobile community; however, we have made the difficult decision to cease operations effective today.
We thank everyone for the ongoing support and commitment to Halfway Haven, and we look forward to serving our customers in the future.

This will change your plans Scott... sorry buddy!!! Ski
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

IMMEDIATE NOTICE
Due to unforeseen circumstances, we regret to announce the immediate closure of The Halfway Haven Lodge for the remainder of the snowmobile season, effective February 24th, 2022.
There will be NO FUEL, ACCOMODATIONS OR FOOD SERVICES available, therefore we do not advise travelling the snowmobile trails to the lodge for safety reasons.
Our staff has worked tirelessly to provide a service for the snowmobile community; however, we have made the difficult decision to cease operations effective today.
We thank everyone for the ongoing support and commitment to Halfway Haven, and we look forward to serving our customers in the future.

Posted on the book of feces, just now. Ski

16 hours ago, scottyr said:

In Wawa right now.   Tough day from Chapleau.    Tons of snow.    Getting stuck on the trail and the the trail that went from HH to Wawa was whooped out like an SX track.    But we made it.  

And today was supposed to be our short/easy day.  😭

I hope you are looping, and not needing to go back through Halfway. they just closed today, for the season. good luck to you guys! Ski

The Halfway Haven area has been getting hammered with snow. There is a long road that needs to be ploughed by the HH owners in order to keep them connected to the local towns. If they can’t keep the road cleared then they can’t get supplies ( food, fuel, and emergency supplies or services). This is my guess as to why they closed up for the season, and it’s only a guess. 

• Like 1

The road into Halfway Haven looks like this. This picture was taken on our 2017 trip from SSM to Halfway Haven.

* I was able to take this picture because I  ran out of fuel a few clicks from camp. We filled up in Goulais River but I didn’t get a complete fill, then got a little lost, and we were pushing snow. All that added up the Apex taking a time out. Thankfully Canuck saved the day. 👍

BDE9ECF2-81BE-4354-A44B-83F8A37C76E3.jpeg

1 hour ago, skidooboy said:
IMMEDIATE NOTICE

This will change your plans Scott... sorry buddy!!! Ski

Could they not provide the whole story.  Unforseen circumstances?  This is pretty disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

cant keep the road open wide enough, to get a fuel truck in there. old, worn out, pos, road grader. if you cant bring fuel in for sleds, groomer, or your generator, you are not functioning. the amount of snow in there, in the last week, is staggering.  it is a remote outpost camp, they have to maintain something like 60km's of road, to gain access to the outside world for supplies to the property. Ski

3 minutes ago, Panther340 said:

Wow! Thats going to screw planned rides for a lot of people.

• Sad 1

Sad state of affairs.  The Grader issue has been ongoing for a while,  so it's far from unseen issue's.  Too bad...I understand about maintaining the road access takes work, and it gets incredibly harder the more snow there is, but but, this should have been in a plan when the new owners took over...

Glad to assist,  Re:Leaf. All I did was grab a jerry can and top you up - very close to the Haven :)

Hope HH reopens. 

• Like 2

The amount of snow in that area right now is absolutely crazy.  The Environment Canada Snow-map is now showing snow-depth at 7 feet deep in the higher elevations of that region. 

Trying the keep the access road open from highway 101 to bring in fuel is just economically not viable.