North Bay to Kirkland Lake

Proxrider

Just curious on the type of trail from NB to KL.  Tight and twisty, wide and fast or a bit of everything.

24 minutes ago, Oggy said:

North bay to New liskard is mainly faster running. Coming in towards Kirkland lake it gets a little tighter.

Agreed.

A lot of NB to New Liskeard follows the pipeline, and you can maintain a good pace. Nice logging road trail between Temagami and Latchford. Twisty like Muskoka for half an hour near Cobalt. New Liskeard going north is largely farm fields to Engelhart. Tighter for the last part into Kirkland Lake.

• Like 3

Awesome, thanks

How about L186 and L161?  Just looking for some info on these trails to get off the A for a bit.

I'd recommend staying on A along the edges of Cobalt, Haileybury and New Liskeard, as the ride is more scenic - -  good trails, variety, a bit of elevation, and glimpses of Lake Temiskaming.

If you want to get off A, you could use the A108 north from Earlton. 

• Like 3

Thanks Blake.  We will be doing the return trip the following day and just looking to change it up.  Sometimes some of these secondary trails are hidden gems.

• Like 1

L186 was a favourite of our group in the 2000s when we often used to stage out of Latchford. We originally used it in one direction while using the A trail going the opposite direction, but consensus was that we preferred L186 and we used it both north and south bound. Your results may differ.  

• Like 1

And I certainly agree with Blake about using A108 as an alternative to the A trail through Elk Lake. My recollection is that the A trail is faster than using A108 through Kirkland Lake, but I prefer A108 (elevation changes and tighter in places) if all conditions are equal on both. It is so nice in that area to have not only those options but also L161/162. Enjoy the trip. Sometimes it boils down to which trail has most recently been groomed.

• Like 2