2022 Mach Z feedback

andreyboater

Hi to all members, I'm seriously considering to buy 2022 Mach Z and looking for feedback from people who have or ride this sled. I watched and read some on internet and YouTube, but appreciate additional information.

Thanks 

machz_standing-snow.jpg

I dont own one but 2 friends of mine have 900Rs  1 Mach, 1 X package.    They both are quite happy with the sled but both of them were expecting more performance wise.  A properly set up BRP 850 will show the 900 its tail lights and a new 850 Polaris will dust both of them.

1 is keeping his for another season, the other is going back to an 850.   

I am going away next week with the guy with the X.   I told him I would like to try it for at least 50kms.   I am sure it will be awesome on the big northern Ontario trails.   

• Thanks 2

I have a Rene-X with the same motor, different clutching and shocks though (as well a few other things) - the sled is fun to ride and quite happy with it.

Up to around 95 MPH it is fast, after that is where they seem to struggle and not be consistent.

So for trail riding, corner to corner, it is a great sled and I would be surprised if it would see a 2-smoke tail light with the very broad power band that it has from low to high......which then it would likely be the rider causing that vs. the sleds performance.

Across the lake on a speed run, I do not doubt that it will see the tail light of other sleds, but some seem to run way better than others (inconsistent).

As for the smart shocks, have not heard any one say bad about them, they work really good - the only thing that could likely be done to improve on them is allow the rider to fine tune each setting to their liking vs. the factory default for each mode.

I believe you are touring type of guy vs. weekend warrior or lake racer, so I think you will enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I dont own one but 2 friends of mine have 900Rs  1 Mach, 1 X package.    They both are quite happy with the sled but both of them were expecting more performance wise.  A properly set up BRP 850 will show the 900 its tail lights and a new 850 Polaris will dust both of them.

1 is keeping his for another season, the other is going back to an 850.   

I am going away next week with the guy with the X.   I told him I would like to try it for at least 50kms.   I am sure it will be awesome on the big northern Ontario trails.   

Thanks for feedback, I'm not a racer, we ride a North trails with long day and many miles. So I'm looking for enjoyable, fast responding and advanced suspension sled. Now I ride and to upgrade my 2017 Grand touring se 1200.

Have 200 kilometers on mine now, here's my take...

Engine is smooth, has lots of power but haven't raced anything yet. I have an 850 Renegade but haven't lined them up yet but will.

Performance does drop off at higher speeds and mine, like many others are saying does not tach out, 7600rpm is tops. 

Gas consumption seems decent

Smart shocks are excellent, sled rides great and handles the Parry Sound trails very well, corners very flat. Steering is most definitely

heavier than my 850. Some say SnowTrackers will cure this

Gauge is neat, has lots of features I haven't figured out yet

Launch control is a hoot.....better hang on.

My biggest beef, and may be  a deal breaker for me if there is no cure is that the sled Surges/Jerks at slow speeds, doesn't matter if you

are in Sport or Eco mode, does it in both. Leaving and returning to my property (slight grade) it's really bad, gas station, road crossing etc..

Again I read others on Dootalk with same complaint but idiot's there tell me it's not meant to be driven slow.....stupidest thing I have ever heard.

I submitted two video's of this surge to dealer when I first got sled but they claimed they'd never heard of this....yet.

If you ride fast Northern trails exclusively this may not be an issue, or hopefully your sled won't be as bad

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, oldslowsledder said:

Engine is smooth, has lots of power but haven't raced anything yet. I have an 850 Renegade but haven't lined them up yet but will.

Performance does drop off at higher speeds and mine, like many others are saying does not tach out, 7600rpm is tops. 

Smart shocks are excellent, sled rides great and handles the Parry Sound trails very well, corners very flat. Steering is most definitely

My biggest beef, and may be  a deal breaker for me if there is no cure is that the sled Surges/Jerks at slow speeds, doesn't matter if you

are in Sport or Eco mode, does it in both. Leaving and returning to my property (slight grade) it's really bad, gas station, road crossing etc..

Again I read others on Dootalk with same complaint but idiot's there tell me it's not meant to be driven slow.....stupidest thing I have ever heard.

I submitted two video's of this surge to dealer when I first got sled but they claimed they'd never heard of this....yet.

If you ride fast Northern trails exclusively this may not be an issue, or hopefully your sled won't be as bad

I have not experienced any surging or jerking at all ever no matter the speed or terrain, but your sled has slightly different clutching than mine, but that should not matter, not as though we are dealing with a race prepped clutch kit, these are designed for average Joe to ride.

Have you had a dealer check things out with a scanner - maybe throttle sensor not reading the way it should, but I suspect that would give you a code.

• Like 1

Apparently it has to do with the different ramps due to the launch control, that's the Doo Talk take. On one of my video's I recorded I had clutch cover off and you can see the primary clutch engaging and disengaging causing the surge/jerking. Too bad I can't post video here for you guys to see.

5 minutes ago, oldslowsledder said:

Apparently it has to do with the different ramps due to the launch control, that's the Doo Talk take. On one of my video's I recorded I had clutch cover off and you can see the primary clutch engaging and disengaging causing the surge/jerking. Too bad I can't post video here for you guys to see.

I assume this is at or around RPM engagement that it surges?

Why not install the X / XRS primary weights that will fix the issue if it is a weight/ramp issue.

Yea it's at slow speeds, 10-20 kpm. It'll go back to dealer first (In Barrie, 2 hrs away) to see what can be done. Just disappointing,

that's all.

My apologies for Highjacking thread

• Like 2

Thats probably the way its going to be unless you want to change the weights out.    My buddy did that to his and he likes it better but the launch control doesnt really work.   He is ok with that.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oldslowsledder said:

Yea it's at slow speeds, 10-20 kpm. It'll go back to dealer first (In Barrie, 2 hrs away) to see what can be done. Just disappointing,

that's all.

My apologies for Highjacking thread

Well, it is real live feedback on the sled that is being considered - so good info in that context!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldslowsledder said:

Thanks a lot for your feedback. 👍

I have a 2022 Mach Z 900 Turbo R. I also had a 2022 Renegade XRS 900 Turbo R.  I just recently sold the 2022 XRS 900 Turbo R.  I absolutely hands down LOVE the Mach Z. We are picking up @Mrs Turbo Doo 2022 Renegade Enduro 900 Turbo R Friday.  I can honestly say the Mach Z with the Smart Shox is the best sled Doo has built to date.  Unlike others, I have consistently seen 8000rpm and over pulls on both sleds.  I enjoyed the XRS, but imo the Mach pulls exceptionally harder. The Launch Control is what wet dreams are made of.  As to @oldslowsledder issues with the surging, it's all do to the clutching ramps in the Mach Z. The Adrenaline,  Enduro, XRS and X, all share the 880 ramps. Which make engagement super smooth. The Mach Z has 897 ramps that have been developed to work in conjunction with the launch Control.  There's no issues with the Mach. You need to understand the Mach was developed to be a Jack Rabbit, sort to speak. If you want your Mach Z to ride without the engagement jerkiness,  you need to do some clutch work. Switching the ramps over to the 880 ramps, and possibly a secondary spring.  I have not run the Mach Z up north yet,  that will change next week,  but I'll do a more in depth report on the Mach. I had the '22 XRS in the NCDN back early January,  and it was just awesome.  OC Member @Evil may chime in here about their 900 Turbo R's,  but from what ive seen, their's are very very strong running turbos. Especially the speeds ive seen, both dreamometer and GPS speeds. @andreyboater just be aware, the Mach sits lower then all the other 900 Turbo R's (ride height). It's comes down to what you want. Knowing the differences between the sleds helps. Feel free to ask any questions you have, I'm sure myself and other 900 Turbo R owners here can help out...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

I have a 2022 Mach Z 900 Turbo R. I also had a 2022 Renegade XRS 900 Turbo R.  I just recently sold the 2022 XRS 900 Turbo R.  I absolutely hands down LOVE the Mach Z. We are picking up @Mrs Turbo Doo 2022 Renegade Enduro 900 Turbo R Friday.  I can honestly say the Mach Z with the Smart Shox is the best sled Doo has built to date.  Unlike others, I have consistently seen 8000rpm and over pulls on both sleds.  I enjoyed the XRS, but imo the Mach pulls exceptionally harder. The Launch Control is what wet dreams are made of.  As to @oldslowsledder issues with the surging, it's all do to the clutching ramps in the Mach Z. The Adrenaline,  Enduro, XRS and X, all share the 880 ramps. Which make engagement super smooth. The Mach Z has 897 ramps that have been developed to work in conjunction with the launch Control.  There's no issues with the Mach. You need to understand the Mach was developed to be a Jack Rabbit, sort to speak. If you want your Mach Z to ride without the engagement jerkiness,  you need to do some clutch work. Switching the ramps over to the 880 ramps, and possibly a secondary spring.  I have not run the Mach Z up north yet,  that will change next week,  but I'll do a more in depth report on the Mach. I had the '22 XRS in the NCDN back early January,  and it was just awesome.  OC Member @Evil may chime in here about their 900 Turbo R's,  but from what ive seen, their's are very very strong running turbos. Especially the speeds ive seen, both dreamometer and GPS speeds. @andreyboater just be aware, the Mach sits lower then all the other 900 Turbo R's (ride height). It's comes down to what you want. Knowing the differences between the sleds helps. Feel free to ask any questions you have, I'm sure myself and other 900 Turbo R owners here can help out...

That's awesome great feedback. A couple questions, how is a wind protection for a cold days and long run, is it worth to put Adjustable windshield, remove hand guards and put muffs? Also I heard suspension lower 1.5" is it make any difference or unconvenience for long dag ride? Thanks

@oldslowsledder, my Mach does exactly what you describe yours does. I did not like it at first, especially coming from the '22 XRS 900 Turbo R,  but with some throttle finesse,  I can modulate the jerkiness out...

Thanks, yeah I can modulate it for the most part as well, just feel it's something that shouldn't have to happen.

As you stated, sled handles and rides exceptionally well, can't see there being any problem with high mile days, Smart shocks are Awesome!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

That's awesome great feedback. A couple questions, how is a wind protection for a cold days and long run, is it worth to put Adjustable windshield, remove hand guards and put muffs? Also I heard suspension lower 1.5" is it make any difference or unconvenience for long dag ride? Thanks

Extra 10.5" ???

1 hour ago, andreyboater said:

I've rode my '22 Mach, as is, with the factory height windshield,  but will be installing a medium height windshield and windshield mounted mirrors this weekend before I head north next week. I personally find the mid height windshield perfect. Leaving it with the stock height windshield,  imo, its too cold. You can also run the Doo muffs with the handguards on any Doo. I do not really find a big difference trail riding with it being lowered. This picture shows the difference between my '22 Mach, and my '22 XRS...

20220205_140606.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldslowsledder said:

Thanks, yeah I can modulate it for the most part as well, just feel it's something that shouldn't have to happen.

As you stated, sled handles and rides exceptionally well, can't see there being any problem with high mile days, Smart shocks are Awesome!

I totally agree with everything you said...Just understand they clutched it that way to make the launch control work. Running the 880 ramps, instead of the 897 ramps will take away a bit of the fun factor of the launch control. 

2 hours ago, andreyboater said:

I've rode my '22 Mach, as is, with the factory height windshield,  but will be installing a medium height windshield and windshield mounted mirrors this weekend before I head north next week. I personally find the mid height windshield perfect. Leaving it with the stock height windshield,  imo, its too cold. You can also run the Doo muffs with the handguards on any Doo. I do not really find a big difference trail riding with it being lowered. This picture shows the difference between my '22 Mach, and my '22 XRS...

Regarding the windshield, I agree and think the medium windshield would be a really good investment for northern tour riding (or bigger if you are prone to being cold) - I have the factory one and although I never felt really cold, you can definitely feel the coldness hitting your chest causing a chill, at least for me I did, usually later in the day after riding for a few hours.

I will likely invest in one next year.

I cannot say enough about muffs, must have on any tour riding or cold days - keeps your hands toasty warm in all conditions and allows you to wear real thin gloves preventing finger fatigue. The Doo ones fit the sled as though it is a factory part too.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, stoney said:

Regarding the windshield, I agree and think the medium windshield would be a really good investment for northern tour riding (or bigger if you are prone to being cold) - I have the factory one and although I never felt really cold, you can definitely feel the coldness hitting your chest causing a chill, at least for me I did, usually later in the day after riding for a few hours.

I cannot say enough about muffs, must have on any tour riding or cold days - keeps your hands toasty warm in all conditions and allows you to wear real thin gloves preventing finger fatigue. The Doo ones fit the sled as though it is a factory part too.

Well said @stoney

I rode the mach (dad's) and my '21 xrs back to back, same trail.

The mach flat out handles better!!!  Best machine doo has produced ever IMO - if you are a trail performance rider. 

(to steal words of the Lester's) It is more confidence inspiring. I'm convinced the magic is in the smart shocks. possibly ride height plays a touch? Set-up was very similar, however have since made some minor adjustments (pre-load) to mirror dad's as close as possible. Haven't been able to ride back to back since. 

The adjustability of the smart shocks is value added for sure. I'd be in comfort 99% of the time myself.  

The 7.8" gauge is also very very nice. again value added.  BRP Go works well but a bit to get it figured out. 

His pulls 8K rpm consistently. Didn't do a long lake run, but mid-range/early top is very strong.

Mine has a tune (not sure which one specifically). 40km roll on they are very very close on hard pack snow. 

Launch controls hits hard and is fun. Hard to drag on snow pack lake, torques left every time. Non launch start is much easier to keep it straight.  

Mach windshield vs medium with mirrors. Noticeable difference between the two in protection. Med is my choice. He has yet to secure one for himself.  

On 2/16/2022 at 1:24 PM, andreyboater said:

I'm not a racer, we ride a North trails with long day and many miles. So I'm looking for enjoyable, fast responding and advanced suspension sled.

Everyone has their own preferences of course. If you could find one - 900R Renegade Enduro for 3K less might be your ticket. 

Mr. & Mrs. Turbo Doo should have some good comparison soon it looks? 

Any Renegade you buy, make sure it has RMotion X/RasX. Huge improvement vs. previous if you are a spirited rider.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Willy said:

I rode the mach (dad's) and my '21 xrs back to back, same trail.

The mach flat out handles better!!!  Best machine doo has produced ever IMO - if you are a trail performance rider. 

(to steal words of the Lester's) It is more confidence inspiring. I'm convinced the magic is in the smart shocks. possibly ride height plays a touch? Set-up was very similar, however have since made some minor adjustments (pre-load) to mirror dad's as close as possible. Haven't been able to ride back to back since. 

The adjustability of the smart shocks is value added for sure. I'd be in comfort 99% of the time myself.  

The 7.8" gauge is also very very nice. again value added.  BRP Go works well but a bit to get it figured out. 

His pulls 8K rpm consistently. Didn't do a long lake run, but mid-range/early top is very strong.

Mine has a tune (not sure which one specifically). 40km roll on they are very very close on hard pack snow. 

Launch controls hits hard and is fun. Hard to drag on snow pack lake, torques left every time. Non launch start is much easier to keep it straight.  

Mach windshield vs medium with mirrors. Noticeable difference between the two in protection. Med is my choice. He has yet to secure one for himself.  

Everyone has their own preferences of course. If you could find one - 900R Renegade Enduro for 3K less might be your ticket. 

Mr. & Mrs. Turbo Doo should have some good comparison soon it looks? 

Any Renegade you buy, make sure it has RMotion X/RasX. Huge improvement vs. previous if you are a spirited rider.  

Well said. We will give a update on the '22 Mach, and the '22 Enduro 900 Turbo R's next week once we are north....

20 hours ago, stoney said:

I used a lot different gloves, muffs and thin gloves provide comfort and good control.

• Like 3