Help me plan my trip..

Puggz

Looks like I have time for 2 more trips this season, the 2nd will be north of Mont Laurier in March.  My last Ontario trip will start mid next week but I'm having trouble deciding on Timmins or Sault Ste Marie.

Coming from KW I would like to setup accommodations as far south as possible while heading north on day trips.  I'm also not opposed to driving an hour from the accommodations to access another area but just not every day.

I believe that the area north of Sudbury is likely the best from a conditions perspective but I hear that the superior east shore is getting a dump this W/E.  Quality of trails comes first tho ;)

Thoughts? and thanks in advance :)

P.

I would suggest Timmins for basing out and doing day trips. SSM is really nice but it appears not to be a ton of trails to day trip out of. We have been through there but more of a drop point or a one night in and out.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Puggz said:

Looks like I have time for 2 more trips this season, the 2nd will be north of Mont Laurier in March.  My last Ontario trip will start mid next week but I'm having trouble deciding on Timmins or Sault Ste Marie.

Coming from KW I would like to setup accommodations as far south as possible while heading north on day trips.  I'm also not opposed to driving an hour from the accommodations to access another area but just not every day.

I believe that the area north of Sudbury is likely the best from a conditions perspective but I hear that the superior east shore is getting a dump this W/E.  Quality of trails comes first tho ;)

P.

I thought I would like to try the area west of Sudbury also, so I have booked a motel in Espanola feb 21 to 25 , it is a lot less of a drive for me then going to Cochrane/Timmins, I see that on the Espanola snowmobile clubs face book page they just had to close a small section on D trail that heads south to whitefish due to land owner issues. So  the direct route from Espanola to Whitefish is not available but a 25 km re-route via Massey (ESP1) is available. There seems to be lots of green west and east of Espanola.

My thoughts are similar to those of Muskoka Bill. Unless the trails deteriorate suddenly in the Sudbury area, why drive further than there? No matter where you decide, you limit your trail selection and overall experience by not choosing a saddlebag trip, but there are great day trips out of the Sudbury area when conditions are good, which they are now. My favourite staging area in the region is Windy Lake Motel (Onaping), but that might be a bit too far west for best day trip options. The Motel is not modern or fancy, but the people, food, and parking are great. Trail C111D is right there. One ride would be north and east around the loop trail north of Lake Wanapitei, possibly over towards Field, depending on mileage that you desire. Another full day would be south and east over beyond Espanola and towards Elliot Lake, again depending on mileage wanted. Even the 'in town' trails around the greater Sudbury region are fun when conditions are right. Its a shame that the restaurant at Rocky's is not open.

If saddle bagging, the loop from Sudbury thru Elliot Lake, Chapleau, Timmins and back to Sudbury is great, once they open the little piece of A101C, currently closed west of Timmins. That is what I would be doing next week, if not for a damaged left rotator cuff. 

Only my opinion, and we know opinions are like A-holes - we all have one.

Currently in Subbury at Moonlight Inn and Suites. $130 / night kitchenette apt. - one bed in front, one separate bedroom at back.

Ran Cartier  " Moose'  loop with buddy Tues., waiting for sons to arrive.

' Wolf' Wednesday when the yoots  arrived and ' Moose' clockwise Friday ( same loop, different direction ). 

Tried to go south, but the trail south ( D111 ) towards OPP station was rough on the way back, Day 1 . It's tough grooming at any time in there. Can't say what the rest of the way to Manitoulin holds - had this feeling snow was lighter south of Sudbury ( Ran D 108 and D 109 , SNIRT, on Tues ) 

It's tricky connecting from this hotel to trails since feeder trail ends at falconcridge road ... and then it's 10 minutes of roads.

I prefer trailering to STP yard in Garson. Start there daily.

Sudbury is our ' go to ' intermediate drive destination.

Groomers out daily, on different sections.

A moose did jump in front of me. Scary. Here's a pic of them in the bushes. 

Really enjoy the varying elevations around Sudbury.

IMG_20220211_202001.jpg

PXL_20220209_212602944.MP.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Canuck said:

Currently in Subbury at Moonlight Inn and Suites. $130 / night kitchenette apt. - one bed in front, one separate bedroom at back.

' Wolf' Wednesday when the yoots  arrived and ' Moose' clockwise Friday ( same loop, different direction ). 

Tried to go south, but the trail south ( D111 ) towards OPP station was rough on the way back, Day 1 . It's tough grooming at any time in there. Can't say what the rest of the way to Manitoulin holds - had this feeling snow was lighter south of Sudbury ( Ran D 108 and D 109 , SNIRT, on Tues ) 

It's tricky connecting from this hotel to trails since feeder trail ends at falconcridge road ... and then it's 10 minutes of roads.

IMG_20220211_202001.jpg

Encountering  a moose on the trail , that has to be special ! If you get to Espanola/Massey/Whitefish falls area please let us know what the conditions are like and any recommendations.  Safe travels

4 hours ago, Canuck said:

IMG_20220211_202001.jpg

Saw the biggest Moose of my life in 2020 just NE of the city.. Quite a site to see.

The moose in that pic were 40 yards away before we brought out 'cameras'. They were huge. When he stepped in front of me I thought it was 'lights out'.  

I last saw one in Halfway Haven years ago. Dropped the antlers (shed?) on trail, but the group in front picked them up.

Same yoot was travelling with me, then, as well.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 10:26 AM, Muskoka Bill said:

Encountering  a moose on the trail , that has to be special ! If you get to Espanola/Massey/Whitefish falls area please let us know what the conditions are like and any recommendations.  Safe travels

We didn't get west of Windy River.

There was a week old comment in another thread ...

We ran into the same around espanola last week.  Simply not enough coverage for the groomers to work. They certainly were trying their best with what they had. Mother nature is a b.

A few riders peeled off at Fairbanks Lake to head west to Espanola on Feb 11th. Hopefully Espanola local knowledge can pipe in.

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2022 at 12:42 PM, Puggz said:

P.

Puggz, where did you decide to stage from? How was it, If you did go?

On 2/11/2022 at 12:42 PM, Puggz said:

P.

I would say go to Quebec. Can start at Maniwaki just north of Ottawa. Short drive

3 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

I would say go to Quebec. Can start at Maniwaki just north of Ottawa. Short drive

Elliot lake is a great day trip accommodation. I go again in a heart beat. You can do a loop to soo one day, another loop via Spanish to manitoulin island. Another trip Towards sudbury and back. My favourite was going north to abrey falls. Trading post is closed now but I am sure black creek will take care of you. Elliot lake trails are usually in better shape then Sudbury because of less traffic. Very scenic area too. Hampton inn was nice with trail on back side of parking lot. Abit of pavement but nothing major compared to big centres. Hotel had breakfast but no supper. Have to taxi to some where in city or ride to Dunlop lake lodge for a bite to eat. 

• Like 3

Good points re: Elliot Lake. Wonder what those loops you mention are like.

I agree you don't want to drive further then you have to, but I am also after quality and willing to drive to get that. If you want great trails guaranteed go to Timmins or even Kirkland Lake, some great loops around there. We always stay at Cedar Meadows in Timmins great spot, has everything, spa, food and a bar, never have to drive anywhere.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 10:06 AM, tricky said:

Puggz, where did you decide to stage from? How was it, If you did go?

Went to Timmins, stayed at the Cedar Valley Resort.. boy that place is sure getting long in the tooth.  See my review on the Lodging forum.  Lots of snow in and around that area and the trails are in great shape. With that being said, I'm personally not a huge fan of the hydro cut runs, a bit like a rail trail only wider.  Once outta the hydro cut, the trails are very nice. Wide with sweeping turns similar to Quebec.  I definitely see why some like it tho. You can really let er rip!

Driving up 69 to Suds and then north, you can really see the accumulation bands. Surprising how little snow in Suds and north. Once we go to Elk Lake, there is considerably more accumulation.  If you want to keep to Ont. this is the spot to go.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. When planning a trip, you should think about what exactly you want to visit and what you are interested in in this place. Because it is usually impossible to visit all the interesting places at once, also pay attention to small towns near the planned route. Sometimes it is enough to drive a few miles away from the route to get to a unique and interesting place. I can also advise you to go to the site https://www.travelsafe-abroad.com/travel-agent/ and read here information about the places you plan to visit.

1 hour ago, Moraisson said:

Hello. When planning a trip, you should think about what exactly you want to visit and what you are interested in in this place.

Welcome to the forum. Where do you go on your snowmobile trips?

• 3 months later...

Hi! Well, I wouldn't say I like car travel. While on vacation, I want to relax and drink a glass of wine or a cocktail, which I definitely wouldn't do while driving. Therefore, I usually just find the cheapest business class flights 40% and fly somewhere I haven't been yet. Sometimes I use taxi services, but most often I walk on foot, usually by the sea. I like Greece, Spain, and Italy, beautiful countries that are conducive to the kind of rest I prefer.

1 hour ago, Normans said:

Hi! Well, I wouldn't say I like car travel.

Where do you do most of your snowmobile riding?