Lake Simcoe

stoney

7 hours ago, stoney said:

Anyone been across the lake from the south end of Simcoe along the west side to hop on B112B…any issues or concerns to make note of?

Lots of slush all over the lake. 

Rode from Pefferlaw to Friday Harbour resort to Hawksbarry grabed the rail line to Orrilia to Rama railine back to lagoon city,and down the lake two weeks ago. Now there is some slush in some spots , just jump on an old track in those spots and you will be okay.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, RIVERMAN said:

Rode from Pefferlaw to Friday Harbour resort to Hawksbarry grabed the rail line to Orrilia to Rama railine back to lagoon city,and down the lake two weeks ago. Now there is some slush in some spots , just jump on an old track in those spots and you will be okay.

I'm new in Pefferlaw so I'm not yet familiar with the seasonal conditions on the lake. Which route did you take over to Friday Harbour?.

Any areas of general caution?

We have taken this route in the past when the ice conditions have been good. There are several places on the lake that form a pressure crack and one area in particular is Duclos Point. This lake can be very dangerous and requires extreme caution. 

714F700B-BB68-4C63-A959-1DC7DD551663.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Re:Leaf said:

We have taken this route in the past when the ice conditions have been good. There are several places on the lake that form a pressure crack and one area in particular is Duclos Point. This lake can be very dangerous and requires extreme caution. 

714F700B-BB68-4C63-A959-1DC7DD551663.jpeg

I have ran Simcoe a fair amount in the past being 5 minutes down the road from it (Soldiers Bay), used to be at least a weekly destination spot, and you are correct, pressure cracks are a big safety factor that change at the flip of a switch, thankfully they are typically consistently in the same location year after year.

I have not ran Simcoe as often I used too and tend to stay in the Cooks bay area as I usually just take my kids out there now......and Simcoe has not been no where near as consistent as it used to be for freezing with our crappy winters, so now have some doubts about heading North of Cooks bay, so figured I would ask those that have ventured across it for some feedback.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoney said:

I have ran Simcoe a fair amount in the past being 5 minutes down the road from it (Soldiers Bay), used to be at least a weekly destination spot, and you are correct, pressure cracks are a big safety factor that change at the flip of a switch, thankfully they are typically consistently in the same location year after year.

I have not ran Simcoe as often I used too and tend to stay in the Cooks bay area as I usually just take my kids out there now......and Simcoe has not been no where near as consistent as it used to be for freezing with our crappy winters, so now have some doubts about heading North of Cooks bay, so figured I would ask those that have ventured across it for some feedback.

You'll be fine. Just don't stop in the slush on that big heavy 4s. The slush is only a few inches deep now its been draining pretty good.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, reevester said:

You'll be fine. Just don't stop in the slush on that big heavy 4s. The slush is only a few inches deep now its been draining pretty good.

Who you calling heavy....lol

Crappy couple of days next week in the forecast with warm and rain.....

57 minutes ago, stoney said:

Who you calling heavy....lol

Crappy couple of days next week in the forecast with warm and rain.....

Good. The sooner the boat comes out the better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stoney said:

LOL....you used to be a sledder - what happened to ya :)

A six week season every year and chasing snow. And polaris 😆 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, reevester said:

A six week season every year and chasing snow. And polaris 😆 

Ya, I get that - it can be a challenging sport to stay active in.

As for the Poo.....you brought that on your self......

16 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

I looked at boats and prices and yeni told me, it is cheaper to go to seafood store to buy fish. That’s a hard no 😂

Yeah you don't strike me as much of a fisherman, especially if your wife's making decisions for you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

17 minutes ago, stoney said:

Ya, I get that - it can be a challenging sport to stay active in.

As for the Poo.....you brought that on your self......

I probably got 60k miles on sleds in my young life. I'm a passionate guy and trive on adrenaline, I was losing the adrenaline always wanting to go fast and do the most miles. I'm sure I'll get back into it one day if my kid takes an interest.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, reevester said:

I probably got 60k miles on sleds in my young life. I'm a passionate guy and trive on adrenaline, I was losing the adrenaline always wanting to go fast and do the most miles. I'm sure I'll get back into it one day if my kid takes an interest.

Yep, I used to live or put a big emphasis to get the miles on as well each and every ride or weekend I was out - the more the better, the last little while, I just enjoy getting out, no longer focus on the miles, just the enjoyment that it brings being out.

• Like 6

This sounds like a dumb question. Does the ferry service run to Georgiana Island in the winter?

Jerry

25 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

This sounds like a dumb question. Does the ferry service run to Georgiana Island in the winter?

Jerry

Early ice it will and in the spring melt. There is a maintained ice road when it's safe. I'm sure it has 15-20" now. I'm on 14" in the middle of the big lake. 

I'll have to ask a coworker who goes to the island if he takes the Bell truck on the ice or a sled to service phone equipment. 

On 2/11/2022 at 1:02 PM, Strong Farmer said:

I looked at boats and prices and yeni told me, it is cheaper to go to seafood store to buy fish. That’s a hard no 😂

Boats are cheaper than cottages in Muskoka and slip fees are cheaper than the taxes on said cottages. Besides, if you don’t like your neighbour, start the engine and go somewhere else. 
 I do go along with buying fish though. 

• Haha 2