Elliot Lake - 2022 Winter

Dan-Senior

We were in the Elliot Lake area today.  They received much needed snow in the past week and winter is looking much better.  Today's outdoor activities included a series of bush routes and cross-country.

IMG_20220206_110235.jpg

IMG_20220206_123004.jpg

IMG_20220206_124910.jpg

IMG_20220206_153706.jpg

IMG_20220206_154517.jpg

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Elliot Lake / Dunlop Lake Lodge

We were back in Elliot Lake this past weekend, staying at the Dunlop Lake Lodge.  It was a full-house as all rooms were booked.  There was quite a contrast in snow-depth from one-week to the next as Elliot Lake got hit with 2 good dumpings back-to-back.  Lakes were slushy and we tried to avoid any full length runs, but enough to get to our friend's ice fishing shack and enjoy the indoor comforts.  I took my restored vintage Super Sport on this weekend trip.  Obviously it does not have alot of horsepower and is a short-track, but the joys of riding something I restored made for smiles.

We went for a Friday night ride around Elliot Lake and Dunlop Lake, which turned into a freezing rain outing.  The evening was wrapped up with some cold beverages in the Lodge Lounge with the opportunity to see friends we haven't seen in awhile and meet new riders from Southern Ontario.

Saturday turned into a deep freeze and riding from the Lazy-Boy sounded more comfortable.  Chad returned to the Sault and I headed to my bush camp in Iron Bridge.  

IMG_20220211_141151.jpg

IMG_20220211_161924.jpg

IMG_20220211_172106.jpg

IMG_20220211_172129.jpg

IMG_20220211_173615.jpg

IMG_20220212_103550.jpg

IMG_20220212_143232.jpg

• Like 12

Looks like a good time!!  I’m heading up to Sudbury Thursday Morning and then riding to Dunlop lake lodge but not so sure how that’s going to work out with all this rain there calling for Wednesday.  I have a loop planned going from Sudbury to Elliot lake, to Wawa, to Hearst, to Cochrane, to Kirkland Lake, to North Bay and back to Sudbury.  I’m really hoping they are wrong with the weather forecast since it’s kind of too late to cancel and rebook rooms! 

38 minutes ago, yamaha06 said:

Looks like a good time!!  I’m heading up to Sudbury Thursday Morning and then riding to Dunlop lake lodge but not so sure how that’s going to work out with all this rain there calling for Wednesday.  I have a loop planned going from Sudbury to Elliot lake, to Wawa, to Hearst, to Cochrane, to Kirkland Lake, to North Bay and back to Sudbury.  I’m really hoping they are wrong with the weather forecast since it’s kind of too late to cancel and rebook rooms! 

Hopefully, late Wednesday rain turns to snow overnight to get some lube for your sliders on Thursday.

Dunlop Lake Video

A short video of our Friday Night ride around Elliot Lake and Dunlop Lake.  I used the vintage Polaris Super Sport that I restored for this past weekend's outing.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, yamaha06 said:

We are going on March 12th for 8 days loop. Starting from Sudbury to Elliot lake, Sault Ste Marie, Wawa, Herst, Cochrane, Atibity, Gogama and back to Sudbury. Hopefully the mother of Nature will be on our side.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, andreyboater said:

We are going on March 12th for 8 days loop. Starting from Sudbury to Elliot lake, Sault Ste Marie, Wawa, Herst, Cochrane, Atibity, Gogama and back to Sudbury. Hopefully the mother of Nature will be on our side.

Keep me posted.  I'll be following your trip.

• 1 month later...

Elliot Lake Snowmobiling

Some photos from today's snowmobile trip to Elliot Lake.  We did our good deed and assisted a Senior's couple who had gotten their Toyota RAV stuck on the Snowmobile trail in Elliot Lake.  We also took a run up to Dunlop Lake Lodge for a Burger and said hello to Randy and Trish.  The afternoon continued with a trip to the Horne Lake Cliffs, a rip down Esten Lake and the Elliot Lake Falls.  Temperature reached +11.  Slush was minimal to none.

Photo 1 - SUV on Trail

Photo 2 - Elliot Lake View from the Powerline Lookout

Photo 3 - Horne Lake Cliffs in Elliot Lake

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 14

Good memories of the Horne Cliffs......When my kids were young our spring hike would be up the skihill then North along  the ridge to the top of Horne Cliffs for lunch and pictures across Horne Lake of town from up high. :)

• Like 2

Looks like my camp in Iron Bridge took a direct hit.  A few photos from the Security Cameras.

922367135_ironbridge.jpg.bf861495bb984a296a01ba2ba703f5c4.jpg

irn bridge II.jpg

• Like 5

Doesn't look like much snow-pack there at all?

The Soo got nailed all winter, but Elliot Lake didn't git much?

I thought that the North Shore was getting good snow?