Looking for advise - North of Parry Sound

Puggz

Considering driving north of Parry SOund from KW for 2 days of riding.  We would want to  start on the green C trail north of Point au Baril either this weekend or next.

Is there any parking around where the C trail and hyw 69 meet? Looks like we could do a east trip one day and go north the other.

Also, are there any decent accommodations in this area or would it be best just to stay in Parry Sound and trailer up each morning?

Thanks in advance!

P

2 hours ago, Puggz said:

Considering driving north of Parry SOund from KW for 2 days of riding.  We would want to  start on the green C trail north of Point au Baril either this weekend or next.

Is there any parking around where the C trail and hyw 69 meet? Looks like we could do a east trip one day and go north the other.

Also, are there any decent accommodations in this area or would it be best just to stay in Parry Sound and trailer up each morning?

Thanks in advance!

P

Puggz take the north shore area into consideration, extra 2 hour drive from Parry Sound but well worth it with a fair amount of green showing, plus the big water crossings to and from the Island are open giving you an awesome day loop ( IMO the best kept secret loop in the province ).  Here's a link to a couple articles DooDette and did on the area a few seasons back, the Pinewood is a bit dated but very clean, close to everything including the trail, and the food there is fantastic. If you wait till next weekend there's a good chance more will open on the Island,, could also happen by this weekend too, the island in it's self has great riding too.  

https://www.northernontario.travel/snowmobiling/ofsc-trails-of-north-shore-espanola-and-la-cloche-mountains?s=

https://www.northernontario.travel/snowmobiling/sledding-manitoulin-island-east?s=

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Nutter said:

Puggz take the north shore area into consideration, extra 2 hour drive from Parry Sound but well worth it with a fair amount of green showing, plus the big water crossings to and from the Island are open giving you an awesome day loop ( IMO the best kept secret loop in the province ).  Here's a link to a couple articles DooDette and did on the area a few seasons back, the Pinewood is a bit dated but very clean, close to everything including the trail, and the food there is fantastic. If you wait till next weekend there's a good chance more will open on the Island,, could also happen by this weekend too, the island in it's self has great riding too.  

https://www.northernontario.travel/snowmobiling/ofsc-trails-of-north-shore-espanola-and-la-cloche-mountains?s=

https://www.northernontario.travel/snowmobiling/sledding-manitoulin-island-east?s=

Thank you! Sounds like a great option and i've always had an affinity for the La Cloche mountains.  Regarding Manatoulin Island, what are the trail like there? Is it mostly farm land? My wife and I prefer the trails between Point au Baril and Sundrigde for a point of reference.

TIA,

P

41 minutes ago, Puggz said:

Thank you! Sounds like a great option and i've always had an affinity for the La Cloche mountains.  Regarding Manatoulin Island, what are the trail like there? Is it mostly farm land? My wife and I prefer the trails between Point au Baril and Sundrigde for a point of reference.

TIA,

P

Not sure if you have seen my other post, but we have no Groomer yet in Pointe Au Baril, very sad. Been out for repairs since last summer, drags are sitting here, operator is anxious to go, we have been dumped on several times. I see people riding them anyways. If you look at interactive trail map it's our local club's section that is still red. Snowing here again 😒

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, oldslowsledder said:

Not sure if you have seen my other post, but we have no Groomer yet in Pointe Au Baril, very sad. Been out for repairs since last summer, drags are sitting here, operator is anxious to go, we have been dumped on several times. I see people riding them anyways. If you look at interactive trail map it's our local club's section that is still red. Snowing here again 😒

Just wondering..............why has the OFSC not sent a "loner" groomer to you in the interim?  I thought that it was their responsibility to do this?  :confused:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Giddy UP said:

Just wondering..............why has the OFSC not sent a "loner" groomer to you in the interim?  I thought that it was their responsibility to do this?  :confused:

I have no idea. apparently there was a spare groomer for the local clubs but it was already lent out. I know of at least a couple people who have called OFSC to complain, but were told it's a local club issue 😒

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, oldslowsledder said:

I have no idea. apparently there was a spare groomer for the local clubs but it was already lent out. I know of at least a couple people who have called OFSC to complain, but were told it's a local club issue 😒

Of course it's a local club issue, it is their groomer that broke down so they are invested. That's a very poor answer if that is what the OFSC's reply was. From everything I have read or been told and as mentioned previously on OC, the District Office should be taking over responsibility to find a groomer to use. If the District can't find a groomer within the District then the District should be dealing with the appropriate person at the OFSC to find a solution. 

With a lot of southern Ontario trails having opened up (and now closed) over the last week it will be tougher to get a club down here to give up their groomer. Depending what happens with the current snow fall, it may be easier to find an available groomer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldslowsledder said:

Damn, I was wondering why the west portion of those trails were still red. My heart goes out to you guys.  BTW, to what lengths would you go to get one brought up from SE ONT. I live in KW so I could ask around and help facilitate.  I'm sure hauling one up your way and back won't be "inexpensive".

Very interesting situation. The SouthShore Restoule club is in your exact position as of last week. North bay district 11 however has sent them the spare. Sad that a few of the groomers are sitting broken still waiting for repair in Lively

I just looked up where South Restoule is.

Powasson. Hwy 11. North Bay area.

Thanks for the honest input, group. Pointe aux Baril and the Trout Creek/ Powasson area are typical riding routes for us.

Not sure if you saw my other post, groomer in PAB arrived yesterday and operator went straight out. 

Carling Trailblazers were working their way north of Woods Road so they should link up and be open shortly.

We certainly have enough snow, and has been cold enough that swamps will be frozen.

If you are ever at the Shell Station in PAB and see a young, big man named Barry be sure to thank him, he

did everything possible to get a groomer here to go out in 👍

• Like 4

On 2/4/2022 at 10:06 AM, oldslowsledder said:

Not sure if you saw my other post, groomer in PAB arrived yesterday and operator went straight out. 

Carling Trailblazers were working their way north of Woods Road so they should link up and be open shortly.

We certainly have enough snow, and has been cold enough that swamps will be frozen.

If you are ever at the Shell Station in PAB and see a young, big man named Barry be sure to thank him, he

did everything possible to get a groomer here to go out in 👍

Barry is a great guy. We do have enough snow to open some trails. However they will not go green yet as there are many rocks and ruts as well as ground features sticking out. In a normal year we have recieved almost 8 feet of snow by now this year we have not yet recieved 3 feet. Clubs are trying hard sometimes we must just be grateful for what we have 

• Like 5

Thanks for the updates. Much appreciated.