First Impressions - 2013 Vector LTX to a 2022 REN X 900TR 1-5 Ice Ripper

Gadgetman

I'm back to Ski-Doo after two Yamaha sleds, a 2010 Apex LTX and a 2013 Vector LTX.

Sunday, my buddy and I did 160KM as a first ride on our new sleds in the area east of Ottawa 
(mostly north of the east-west A trail(Yellow status). (My REN X and a 2022 Mach Z); 
First Impressions:
Wow - the suspension on the REN is fantastic (I may start riding without a kidney belt);
Seating position is good, easy to stand-up;
I have the 7.2 dash, liked the extra info it offers;
I like @stoney may move the front shock springs to 2 (from 1) - I did drop the TX blade down for better bite on corners;
Rear Spring adjust was at 2, for my weight.
Wind deflection with the Medium windshield (and Ski-Doo mirrors) is good - oddly, the Mach doesn't have the 
Ski-Doo windshield mirrors and I noticed right a way wind blast at the shoulders on his Mach;

Easier to put my feet back on the running board, compared to the Vector;
I worried about cold air and my feet with the open running board on the REN X - not an issue today (-12c);
I did notice snow dust coming up around my legs which I didn't have on the closed and heated Vector running board.
Tunnel on the REN didn't ice up as bad as the Vector does (no loaf of bread size ice blocks falling out of the tunnel);
The 1.5 Ice ripper bites well on the trail, and I will have to learn how to get it to slide in a holly molly curve 
where you need to lock the track to slide the skid around, and then pin it to make the sharp turn;

REN 900TR seems louder compared to Vector rear exhaust - I may start wearing foam ear plugs;
REN seat more comfortable (wider).
The front dash storage compartment is great.

Only negative is that I do miss the power steering on the Vector, as my wrists are a bit tender now, 
I'm glad I've been doing my pre-season sledding exercises in addition to my knee replacement stuff the last month or so. 
(Hey now, I'm 65, and both shoulders have also been operated on.)

The Mach used 27 litres of fuel, I used 26 - so 160/27= 6 km\litre - Vector was about 7KM\litre  (REN X on break-in) (Regular fuel);
Spring decision was to drop $2-3K on Elka shocks on the Vector, or get a REN X;

Decision: Glad I opted to go to a new sled - no way I would get this kind of ride out of the 100lb heavier Vector, even with Elka's.

Side item - found out a 3-day pack works great on the tunnel, making it my saddle bag trip bag at the end of the month.

IMG_2669-80.jpg

20220127_195141-80.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I guess some of you were interested in the power aspect of the two sleds.

Vector LTX pulled fine for anything I need trail riding, and aside from it not liking to start on its own from about -30c and lower, one of the best engines on snow.

Same drive belt 17,000KM later.

Breaking in the 900TR, so pulls were light in the morning, and yes it can pull - reminded me of the Apex, but a few notches more. 

In the afternoon tried some more deliberate pulls, hit about 6600/7000 RPM and was surprised just how smooth the pull and the turbo was (assuming that it must be a linear turbo, as I never once noticed a kick or jolt or surge. (I also assume the turbo must have been working on some of the pulls, for the sled to pull like that - I don't know what a stock 900 ACE pulls like).

Also noticed that the 900TR was lighter on engine breaking than the Vector is when you let off the throttle. With the Vector, letting off the throttle, I could use it to slow down, didn't seem that way with the 900TR.

Nice report 👍

The 900T-R really does work well, it is a really nice & fun trail sled. 
It’s crazy how fast you can run through the trails on this sled. 

The exhaust note is definitely throatier. 

Finally able to run some more wide open trails and stretch her legs. 
I think I now have my from shock springs set at around 2.5….still looking for that right balance of bite but not too hard to steer. 

One thing I really noticed today was how loud my skid is with all the ice and snow built up in there and the tunnel….sure would be nice to be able too thaw it out. 

10 hours ago, stoney said:

I think I now have my from shock springs set at around 2.5….still looking for that right balance of bite but not too hard to steer. 

Not familiar with Doo suspension as I am on Yamacat and Poo, but all suspensions have similar principles. To put more or less pressure on skis the front shock in your skid has more influenced than your ski shock springs. Your front or center shock/spring is the pivot point in your sled. You should back of your ski setting then play with center shock going harder and lighter in the same day on the same snow and play with settings from there. Hope this helps.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Yamatario said:

Not familiar with Doo suspension as I am on Yamacat and Poo, but all suspensions have similar principles. To put more or less pressure on skis the front shock in your skid has more influenced than your ski shock springs. Your front or center shock/spring is the pivot point in your sled. You should back of your ski setting then play with center shock going harder and lighter in the same day on the same snow and play with settings from there. Hope this helps.

Agree with you a 100%. Dealer leaves all the setup at the Base or bottom setting. Leaves it up to the rider to setup his suspension (unless purchaser asks). I figure it will take most of this m season to tune the suspension to my liking. After 17,000KM on the Vector, I know there is some personal driving adjustment needed, and I'm also coming off Snow Tracker ski runners.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Yamatario said:

I agree with you on this for sure. 
I’m adjusting both front skid shock and front springs….separately of course. 
I had front skid shock pretty loose and looking for more bite, so started increasing front spring pressure.
Plus honestly, I just like adjusting things, very seldom leave things alone….usually just small changes though. 
Changing conditions is bigger factor, but that’s where the quick adjust options can be very nice to have….that I didn’t opt for!

1 hour ago, Gadgetman said:

Agree with you a 100%. Dealer leaves all the setup at the Base or bottom setting. Leaves it up to the rider to setup his suspension (unless purchaser asks). I figure it will take most of this m season to tune the suspension to my liking. After 17,000KM on the Vector, I know there is some personal driving adjustment needed, and I'm also coming off Snow Tracker ski runners.

Thanks again.

Interested to hear your thoughts on ts skis vs snow trackers as you play with setup.

Put a few klicks on my Mach yesterday, immediately noticed a slow speed, light throttle surging....whah,whah,whah,whah...for lack of a better description.

10-15 kilometers an hour, 3800ish rpms, very annoying, sounds embarrassingly sickly. Tried it in ECO mode, a little better but still there. It's actually primary clutch releasing and hooking up, jerks sled.

Dealer doesn't know, said they've never heard of this problem

Going to put a few more miles on it, then back (2hrs each way) to dealer if problem persists

5 hours ago, oldslowsledder said:

Put a few klicks on my Mach yesterday, immediately noticed a slow speed, light throttle surging....whah,whah,whah,whah...for lack of a better description.

10-15 kilometers an hour, 3800ish rpms, very annoying, sounds embarrassingly sickly. Tried it in ECO mode, a little better but still there. It's actually primary clutch releasing and hooking up, jerks sled.

Dealer doesn't know, said they've never heard of this problem

Going to put a few more miles on it, then back (2hrs each way) to dealer if problem persists

The Machs have a higher rpm clutch engagement, mainly for the launch control, then the other 900 Turbo R's.  The Machs have different primary ramps. The Machs have 897 ramps, all other 900 Turbo R's have 880 ramps, again for the launch control.  The surging,  Turbo flutter is on all the 900 R's.. Imo, ride it...Also this 900 Turbo R motor 'loads' up at lower rpm alot more then previous 900 T's... All 900 Turbo R motors are the same..My 2022 Renny XRS 900T R does the same thing @oldslowsledder, and I've witness the ones I've passed and crossed paths with, do the same..Machs, XRS AND X's.  

4 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

The Machs have a higher engagement then the other 900 Turbo R's.  The Machs have different primary ramps. The Machs have 897 ramps, all other 900 Turbo R's have 880 ramps. The surging,  Turbo flutter is on all the 900 R's.. Imo, ride it...Also this 900 Turbo R motor 'loads' up at lower rpm alot more then previous 900 T's... All 900 Turbo R motors are the same..My 2022 Renny XRS 900T R does the same thing @oldslowsledder, and I've witness the ones I've passed and crossed paths with, do the same..Machs, XRS AND X's.  

Thanks, appreciate the info. Very much dislike what it's doing. Was going to sell the wife's Blizzard and let her ride the Mach for the few times she goes out (she hates the throttle on the Renegade), but there is no way she will drive this.

My apologies to Gadgetman for high-jacking his thread. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oldslowsledder said:

Thanks, appreciate the info. Very much dislike what it's doing. Was going to sell the wife's Blizzard and let her ride the Mach for the few times she goes out (she hates the throttle on the Renegade), but there is no way she will drive this.

My apologies to Gadgetman for high-jacking his thread. 

@oldslowsledder, I'm confident there's nothing wrong with your Mach.  Sorry @Gadgetman for the hijack also...

I'm interested in what you discover with the heavy steering.   I'm contemplating a Yamaha next as I'm exhausted by the end of the day (2019 Enduro 900Ace).

There is a video by sledaddicz on Youtube and they put snow trackers on a Mach Z and said it completely changed the sled, made the steering effort very light and nimble

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep it is a combo of both, but I have to say I have run snow trackers for 4 years, and I have rode a bunch of different sleds (all set up properly) with different carbide combos and nothing gives you the consistency that trackers do in all types of conditions.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

As @Turbo Tim said, snowtrackers work,  but the biggest thing imo is  proper sled setup....

Yep, agree with set up that works for you…. only challenge is what works for most conditions you will encounter. 

The 900 Turbo works really well though!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Candubrain said:

I'm interested in what you discover with the heavy steering.   I'm contemplating a Yamaha next as I'm exhausted by the end of the day (2019 Enduro 900Ace).

Has anyone else rode your sled to see what they thought of the steering?

Maybe power steering is what you need. 

Depending where you live take you sled to John at Accelerated Technologies in Buckhorn, he is a wizard at setting up sleds. He explains everything to you as they set the sag, limiter straps, front shocks etc. Best $250 you will ever spend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Turbo Tim said:

There is a video by sledaddicz on Youtube and they put snow trackers on a Mach Z and said it completely changed the sled, made the steering effort very light and nimble

Only problem I see with this is once you modify ski holes for Snow Trackers you won't be able to go back

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldslowsledder said:

Only problem I see with this is once you modify ski holes for Snow Trackers you won't be able to go back

Agree. But unlikely you will want to go back once you run them. There are two depths of snow trackers if I remember.

• Like 1